Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    My Ride
    92 VFR750F 86 CB700SC Nighthawk (SOLD)
    Thanks

Anyone else put Rotella T in their VFR?

I've read people doing it....but heres a video of me using it for the bike.

"Chase the dream.....Not the competition."

Check out my Moto-Vlog: http://www.youtube.com/user/ricecakeFTW?feature=mhee

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2009 Honda VFR800 2001 Honda VFR800 1995 Ducati 900SS SP
    Thanks
    I know there are a few members here that that use it, Dahose had even posted a cool "article" on oil a while back, and there was a thread here a few days ago about Rotella. From what I gathered from the conversations is that it's safe but there is a caveat on which one to buy.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics...-no-bueno.html

Cheers
    “You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Country
    My Ride
    1999 VFR 1986 FJ1200
    Thanks
    It's fine. Just stay away from any oil with "friction reducers".

Country
    My Ride
    1998 Honda VFR800
    Thanks
    I have rotella t 15w-40 in mine now for about a week, and only chose it because i keep reading everywhere that it is widely used in motorcycles. I had a website open for a few days (forgot it), but it showed a big list of what you should stay away from and what oils are known to be great. Rotella t 15w-40 as well as the blue bottle one youre using are both recommended. Ive been thinking about trying that blue bottle though. Anyone have any advice on whether it would be harmful to switch to the synthetic?

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michaels214 View Post
    I have rotella t 15w-40 in mine now for about a week, and only chose it because i keep reading everywhere that it is widely used in motorcycles. I had a website open for a few days (forgot it), but it showed a big list of what you should stay away from and what oils are known to be great. Rotella t 15w-40 as well as the blue bottle one youre using are both recommended. Ive been thinking about trying that blue bottle though. Anyone have any advice on whether it would be harmful to switch to the synthetic?
    I've used both....and just right before I switched, I had a synthetic blend, and ran that for several months. I guess its just being safer than sorry, but right away I felt the difference of the 5w-40 synthetic.

Country
    My Ride
    VFR800A-FI ABS 2007 25th Aniversery tri-colour '81 CM200T Twinstar (dont laugh at this its vintage, and less than 20,000km on it)
    Thanks
    Rottella T4 and T6 are fine as they have a JASO MA endorsment, stay away from the T5 blend as it will kill your clutch, it has friction modifiers in it.

I am using T4 and so far no complaints.

there is no problems with running dino juice then switching to pure synthetic but your first oil change will be considered a blend as there is old oil in your bike still.
    I have not heard of any one toasting there bike by switching between oil types, just make sure your runn the right viscosity, in warm areas run heavier oil, in colder (canada) areas run lighter oil. fyi 5w anything is no good in hot areas and you will cause damage to your bike.
    Proud Owner - 6th Gen Interceptor (2007 VFR800FI - RWB)
    Proud Member - 6th Gen Militia - 1st VTEC Battalion RWB Squad

We left-brain types think best when we're not in our right minds.

These procedures are expected to cover every eventuality; therefore they will be generic. When departures from these procedures are necessary, the correct process for those deviations will be noted here, in detail.

[Assume funny, clever sig is here. Now laugh and reflect....]

Country
    My Ride
    2000 VFR 800 - Yellow
    Thanks
    Rotella is a winner!

Whatever you use, just make sure it is JASO MA.

Jose

Country
    My Ride
    2003 VFR 800 abs 1995 KLR 650 2008 GS500F
    Thanks
    I have been using Rotella T 5w50 for three years. Love it.

Country
    My Ride
    '06 Interceptor '05 ST1300 '03 DR650
    Thanks
    Let's see:
    57,000mi. on my '05 ST1300. Have been using Rotella T syn since the first oil change. No issues, no oil consumption and still haven't had to replace any valve shims.

20,000mi. on my '06 VFR, ditto above.

It may not be the best oil but in reality who rides more in a year than what the oil change interval is? I always change mine before they get put to bed for the winter and only remember one time or two where I had to change it mid-season.

Country
    My Ride
    2007 VFR 800 RWB 1977 KZ 650 B (w/C1 brakes and wheels)
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My bike only had about 1500 miles on it when I got it, and since it's and '07, I knew It had to need an oil change. I chose the 10 w 30 standard rotella to finish the break-in because it doesn't have the friction modifiers, and with less than 2k, I didn't want to switch to a synthetic. I used to use the Rotella T in my truck regularly and really liked it, but recently switched it to Amsoil filters and oil - Oil costs almost the same, and I won't have to change it for over 20k (I run the oil analysis too - just to make sure) that will save me about $300 in oil changes over the next year. Next oil change, the bike will get Amsoil full synthetic too, but I will stay with the standard intervals since there isn't an Amsoil filter for the VFR. Their pricing isn't any higher than any of the other premium motorcycle oils out there, and they make one of the better synthetics available. Since I'm in GA, I pretty much get to ride all year - so no putting the bike to bed for the winter
    2007 RWB 25th Anniversary Edition #00226. Wolo Bad Boy Horn, HID 6000k low beams, gutted stock exhaust, seat modified by Spencer's Moto Care.

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 VFR 800
    Thanks
    I ride year round in Texas, and put over 7000 miles last year on my last bike (2011 Yamaha FZ8) before being stopped by a deer. However I changed my oil (ROTELLA T6 + Walmart filter) at the 600m break-in, the 3600m and the 6600m marks just because its hot down here, I ride fairly hard for fun, and commute on my 2 bikes. I fully intend to run Rotella T6 in the VFR as the guy I bought it from has been running synthetic in it for awhile now. $35 for oil and a filter and changing it myself keeps my mind at ease.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    1998 VFR, 2002 CBR954, 2005 Ninja 500 (wife's)
    Thanks
    I use the Rotella T6 5w-40 in the Viffer, CBR and Ninja 500. I use the same Super Tech filter in all of them too.
    Member: VFR World Safety Police

Mods: -1 tooth front sprocket, Sargent seat, ZX-10 R/R, Speedohealer, DMr massaged front forks and 929 shock (Hell ya!). She turns telepathically now.

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    HELL Yeeea! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Is it me or guys like to plant these weird stories of gear boxes exploding if you don't use regular motorcycle oils? lol I talked to a dude that barely started riding and he was telling me horror stories of people not using motorcycle oil for their bikes. I just smiled.......and in amazement listened lol

Thanks
    Plenty of people.
    Before my son was born I was doing 20-25,000 miles on year on my bikes, and had for quite a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by IA-Mike View Post
    It may not be the best oil but in reality who rides more in a year than what the oil change interval is?
    FPR; Galfer rotors and braided lines; Ohlins rear; Thurn CF chain guard, engine case cover & exhaust shield; GCC CF rear hugger/chain guard, gauge cover, triple tree cov, tank protector; Techskins; Honda heated grips; Kisan headlight mod, signal canceler, brake mod, tire pressure monitor & license frame w/LED brake light and signals; Sargent; ZG DB screen; 2 Powerlets, Gadgetguy GPS mount, Pair valve remov, R&G sliders, Staintune, Motad w/JetCoat; K&N; Fiamm, Lojack, Scorpio; PCIII

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by soloii-74 View Post
    since there isn't an Amsoil filter for the VFR.
    Oil Filter
    EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [black] (EaOM103) EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [black] (EaOM103)

EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [chrome] (EaOM103C) EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [chrome] (EaOM103C)

Fits the 2004, as far as I know, should fit all of that generation. Not sure though.
    FPR; Galfer rotors and braided lines; Ohlins rear; Thurn CF chain guard, engine case cover & exhaust shield; GCC CF rear hugger/chain guard, gauge cover, triple tree cov, tank protector; Techskins; Honda heated grips; Kisan headlight mod, signal canceler, brake mod, tire pressure monitor & license frame w/LED brake light and signals; Sargent; ZG DB screen; 2 Powerlets, Gadgetguy GPS mount, Pair valve remov, R&G sliders, Staintune, Motad w/JetCoat; K&N; Fiamm, Lojack, Scorpio; PCIII

Country
    My Ride
    '02 Honda VFR800 Interceptor '07 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600
    Thanks
    I use Rotella T6 5 w 40 - on my Nomad 1600 and VFR800 -the one negative, is that I had a trouble finding neutral after using it on my VFR. Smooth, yes... great oil yes... but the bottom line wisdom is this:
    use whatever you like (cheaper the better) and change it every season.
    2002 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor
    2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600
    "Life is a journey, not a guilt trip!"

Country
    My Ride
    2007 VFR 800 RWB 1977 KZ 650 B (w/C1 brakes and wheels)
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Spike,

I will have to check it out... My local Amsoil guy indicated that there wasn't an Ea filter for the 6th gen vfr. (and yes, 02-09 take the same filter)
    2007 RWB 25th Anniversary Edition #00226. Wolo Bad Boy Horn, HID 6000k low beams, gutted stock exhaust, seat modified by Spencer's Moto Care.

Thanks
    If you go to their website, type in 2004 VFR, and what I copied and pasted will show up. Type in 2007 and nothing comes up, weird. Likely a website error.

Country
    My Ride
    '02 Honda VFR800 Interceptor '07 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorgumby View Post
    I use Rotella T6 5 w 40 - on my Nomad 1600 and VFR800 -the one negative, is that I had a trouble finding neutral after using it on my VFR. Smooth, yes... great oil yes... but the bottom line wisdom is this: use whatever you like (cheaper the better) and change it every season.
    I take it back - initially, my VFR couldn't find NEUTRAL w/ Rotella ... now it's fine! No problem at all.
    2002 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor
    2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600
    "Life is a journey, not a guilt trip!"

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    I think any bike that is older, neutral is hard to find lol....thats just MHO.....only because I use to own a 85 cb 700....neutral was non existent, and I was using regular motorcycle oil, and my 92 vfr is alot easier to find.....

Country
    My Ride
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, the Wee. 1990 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (emeritus) 2002 Kawasaki KLR250 (emeritus)
    Thanks
    I've used Rotella T 25-40 (dino - NOT the synthetic) exclusively in my Excursion Diesel for years. Found the recommendation for its use in my Wee from the California Scientific Motorcycle Windshields website. The guy makes his money selling motorcycle windshields, but has a ton of info about oil and filters online. He is apparently an ST rider.

Country
    My Ride
    2006 Honda VFR
    Thanks
    I use Rotella T 15w40 in my bikes. Have for a few years now and at $13 a gallon, the price can't be beat.

Josh
    2006 Honda VFR
    2008 Honda CBR1000rr
    1976 Suzuki GT380

Country
    My Ride
    1975 cb750f project, 1984 vf500f
    Thanks
    On switching between synthetic and dino oils. From my experience working at a national lube shop chain, jumping to and fro all willy nilly with oil selection is fine as long as the appropriate weight is chosen. I know many regular customers of the shop i worked at would jump back and fourth between the two depending on how much they wanted to spend(65 or synth, or 35 for dino). The only thing to worry about in this instance is if the oil had molybdenum or other such friction modifiers in its additive package, that I am told would ruin a wet clutch. As far as your engine is concerned they both do the same thing synthetic just does it better and longer.

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by braceyoself777 View Post
    HELL Yeeea! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Is it me or guys like to plant these weird stories of gear boxes exploding if you don't use regular motorcycle oils? lol I talked to a dude that barely started riding and he was telling me horror stories of people not using motorcycle oil for their bikes. I just smiled.......and in amazement listened lol
    I know where there's a 26k mile 3rd gen with a little hole in the cases. Owner changed the oil religiously w/ Rottella T-6 and a Supertech filter every 3k miles.
    I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here

I don't do drugs anymore, I find I get the same effect just standing up really fast.

Country
    My Ride
    2002 Honda VFR800
    Thanks
    I currently have Rotella T in my viffer, the mineral 15W40 courtesy of Walmart for $13 lol i will get around to the T6 Rotella 5W40 the next time around. It's kind of sad, my zx6r gets the finest 10W40 Motul 300V oil yet my poor viffer gets second rate walmart oil lol. It's ok my viffer doesn't see the type of abuse my ZX does though.
    2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor :Sold Feb 2012
    2001 Honda VFR800 Interceptor :Sold Aug 2013
    2002 Honda VFR800 Inteceptor :Current April 2014
    "Once you're a vifferhead you'll always be a vifferhead and keep coming back to the same bike"

Country
    My Ride
    1997 VFR750 (current) 1986 VFR750 (sold) 1986 VF500(sold)
    Thanks
    I've been thinking about switching to Rotella.

I'm currently using the Mobil1 MX4-T (10W40) since it's easy to find in my area. I've done an oil analysis on the bike and it's looking good. I'm going to increase my oil change intervals and check the oil analysis until I see it's starting to break down.
    1997 VFR750F
    1986 VFR750F: sold
    1986 VF500F: sold

~ "I would cut my balls off with a Taco Bell spork for one of those." - TOE CUTTER

~ "Sometimes ya just gotta strap it on and start humping and wish for the best." - Dukiedook

~ I have been eating food and microwaving soup for longer than that...Doesn't make me a farmer or a cook." - tinkerinWstuff

Country
    My Ride
    '86 VFR 700Fs (3)/ '97 VFR 750F/ '89 &'90 NT 650 HAWK/ '86 Yamaha Radian/ '66 Yamaha YL-1/ '88 VTR 250 / '90 VTR 250/ '73 CB 125
    Thanks
    Can anyone say just how much better it is or why Rotella might be better than the Honda-branded oils Honda sells ??

" Goin' to Hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride. "

FRACKING: kiss your aquifer good-bye !!

Country
    My Ride
    2000 VFR 800 - Yellow
    Thanks
    I put some links to articles and relayed what I found out about ZDDP contents and base stock issues in another thread. Search that one out for lots o info.

If you want a readers digest version ....

The Honda oil is JASO MA. The Rotella is JASO MA. They are the same tested quality.

The Honda oil is about $25 a gallon. The Rotella is about $14 a gallon.

Rotella is AT LEAST equal quality oil, at about half the cost as Honda OEM.

Jose

Country
    My Ride
    2002 Honda VFR800
    Thanks
    One thing I did notice with the T6 Rotella on my 02 I used to have was the bike ran slightly cooler at freeway speeds than with the petro version Rotella T. It was about a 9deg cooler. At freeway speeds of 80 it used to run at 185deg after Rotella T6 it sat at 176 all day cruising at the same speed same ambient temps.
    2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor :Sold Feb 2012
    2001 Honda VFR800 Interceptor :Sold Aug 2013
    2002 Honda VFR800 Inteceptor :Current April 2014
    "Once you're a vifferhead you'll always be a vifferhead and keep coming back to the same bike"

Country
    My Ride
    2000 VFR 800 - Yellow
    Thanks
    Interesting. Wonder if the synth somehow sinks away heat better?

Jose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast