Anyone else put Rotella T in their VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by braceyoself777, Mar 23, 2012.

1. braceyoself777

braceyoself777 New Member

Map
    I've read people doing it....but heres a video of me using it for the bike.

[video=youtube;ndMoK9Dh_4Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndMoK9Dh_4Y[/video]

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    It's fine. Just stay away from any oil with "friction reducers".

4. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    I have rotella t 15w-40 in mine now for about a week, and only chose it because i keep reading everywhere that it is widely used in motorcycles. I had a website open for a few days (forgot it), but it showed a big list of what you should stay away from and what oils are known to be great. Rotella t 15w-40 as well as the blue bottle one youre using are both recommended. Ive been thinking about trying that blue bottle though. Anyone have any advice on whether it would be harmful to switch to the synthetic?

5. braceyoself777

Map
    I've used both....and just right before I switched, I had a synthetic blend, and ran that for several months. I guess its just being safer than sorry, but right away I felt the difference of the 5w-40 synthetic.

6. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Rottella T4 and T6 are fine as they have a JASO MA endorsment, stay away from the T5 blend as it will kill your clutch, it has friction modifiers in it.

I am using T4 and so far no complaints.

there is no problems with running dino juice then switching to pure synthetic but your first oil change will be considered a blend as there is old oil in your bike still.
    I have not heard of any one toasting there bike by switching between oil types, just make sure your runn the right viscosity, in warm areas run heavier oil, in colder (canada) areas run lighter oil. fyi 5w anything is no good in hot areas and you will cause damage to your bike.

7. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Rotella is a winner!

Whatever you use, just make sure it is JASO MA.

Jose

8. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    I have been using Rotella T 5w50 for three years. Love it.

9. IA-Mike

IA-Mike New Member

Let's see:
    57,000mi. on my '05 ST1300. Have been using Rotella T syn since the first oil change. No issues, no oil consumption and still haven't had to replace any valve shims.

20,000mi. on my '06 VFR, ditto above.

It may not be the best oil but in reality who rides more in a year than what the oil change interval is? I always change mine before they get put to bed for the winter and only remember one time or two where I had to change it mid-season.

10. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    My bike only had about 1500 miles on it when I got it, and since it's and '07, I knew It had to need an oil change. I chose the 10 w 30 standard rotella to finish the break-in because it doesn't have the friction modifiers, and with less than 2k, I didn't want to switch to a synthetic. I used to use the Rotella T in my truck regularly and really liked it, but recently switched it to Amsoil filters and oil - Oil costs almost the same, and I won't have to change it for over 20k (I run the oil analysis too - just to make sure) that will save me about $300 in oil changes over the next year. Next oil change, the bike will get Amsoil full synthetic too, but I will stay with the standard intervals since there isn't an Amsoil filter for the VFR. Their pricing isn't any higher than any of the other premium motorcycle oils out there, and they make one of the better synthetics available. Since I'm in GA, I pretty much get to ride all year - so no putting the bike to bed for the winter :cool:

11. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    I ride year round in Texas, and put over 7000 miles last year on my last bike (2011 Yamaha FZ8) before being stopped by a deer. However I changed my oil (ROTELLA T6 + Walmart filter) at the 600m break-in, the 3600m and the 6600m marks just because its hot down here, I ride fairly hard for fun, and commute on my 2 bikes. I fully intend to run Rotella T6 in the VFR as the guy I bought it from has been running synthetic in it for awhile now. $35 for oil and a filter and changing it myself keeps my mind at ease.

12. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I use the Rotella T6 5w-40 in the Viffer, CBR and Ninja 500. I use the same Super Tech filter in all of them too.

13. braceyoself777

Map
    HELL Yeeea! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Is it me or guys like to plant these weird stories of gear boxes exploding if you don't use regular motorcycle oils? lol I talked to a dude that barely started riding and he was telling me horror stories of people not using motorcycle oil for their bikes. I just smiled.......and in amazement listened lol

14. Spike

Spike New Member

Plenty of people.
    Before my son was born I was doing 20-25,000 miles on year on my bikes, and had for quite a few years.

15. Spike

Spike New Member

Oil Filter
    EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [black] (EaOM103) EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [black] (EaOM103)

EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [chrome] (EaOM103C) EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [chrome] (EaOM103C)

Fits the 2004, as far as I know, should fit all of that generation. Not sure though.

16. pastorgumby

pastorgumby New Member

I use Rotella T6 5 w 40 - on my Nomad 1600 and VFR800 -the one negative, is that I had a trouble finding neutral after using it on my VFR. Smooth, yes... great oil yes... but the bottom line wisdom is this:
    use whatever you like (cheaper the better) and change it every season.

17. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Spike,

I will have to check it out... My local Amsoil guy indicated that there wasn't an Ea filter for the 6th gen vfr. (and yes, 02-09 take the same filter)

18. Spike

Spike New Member

If you go to their website, type in 2004 VFR, and what I copied and pasted will show up. Type in 2007 and nothing comes up, weird. Likely a website error.

19. pastorgumby

pastorgumby New Member

I take it back - initially, my VFR couldn't find NEUTRAL w/ Rotella ... now it's fine! No problem at all.

20. braceyoself777

Map
    I think any bike that is older, neutral is hard to find lol....thats just MHO.....only because I use to own a 85 cb 700....neutral was non existent, and I was using regular motorcycle oil, and my 92 vfr is alot easier to find.....