VF1000R Clutch Castle Nut Removal/ Gear Holding Tool/ Shifter Drum Stuck ?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by kennybobby, Apr 12, 2012.

1. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Trying to remove the big castle nut (right-hand threads) and need something to lock the shaft. The manual says to put it into 5th gear and press the rear brake. The problem is that this particular bike has a shifting issue--it is stuck in neutral.

The shift lever arm just moves back and forth past the shift drum but doesn't engage the pin on the drum. Tried getting a wrench on the bolt to jiggle the drum but it is behind the clutch basket and not accessible--hence the need to remove the clutch nut. Hoping the shifter problem will be found behind the basket without needing to split the case, but my gut tells me the shift forks have issues and it will not be that easy...

Any experiences with stuck in neutral to share? Anybody ever seen the gear holding tool and could describe what it looks like and how it mounts, etc.? Need to make something to lock it without cracking the case...

2. orion3814

orion3814 New Member

Penny in gears

3. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    I recently put in a Barnett Clutch kit in my VF1000R. I didn't have any problem following the manual (5th gear, etc.) but my bike shifts also. I would go to your local Honda dealer and sweet talk the guys in back to loan their tools. I did that for the clutch nut tool on the VF1000R. They let me loan it for the day with a deposit. If you try to use something else you run a very good risk of damaging it more than it already is.

Aside from that, I think it may be easier to just buy a running engine and pull that one out and rebuild it on the bench. Again though, that's just me. Hope you get it.

4. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Theres a spring behind the driven oil pump gear on the lever arm that connects to the arm that turns the shift drum. Those springs break and then the arm doesn't really contact the drum to move it. Is that spring still hooked up? If not it will leave the drum in the last position it was in. There was a service bulletin about the bad springs. You don't need to remove clutch to replace spring.

You should be able to get behind clutch and manually turn the shift drum. Or does it turn but not select gear?

5. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Map
    Used an impact hammer to get the nut off and removed the clutch basket. The shifter drum is locked up and will not rotate even with the application of excessive force and extreme prejudice..?

The transmission is freewheeling in neutral but i can feel and hear the dogs of some of the gears just at barely hitting.

The shifter drum seems to be locked or frozen in place with the big round cam slightly rotated counter clockwise from where the roller arm should normally engage the neutral detent --so it's stuck between the neutral and first gear position.

i took the cam off and all the pins are intact, no damage to the lobes, etc...

Any idea of what could cause it to jam like that?

6. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    No idea on the problem now. But being a vulture buzzing around 1st gens like I am. If you take it apart and decide to go no further. Wanna sell the out put shaft with bearing. The one they call the counter shaft were the sprocket goes? Unless that's the part that failed..............

7. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Map
    Shift Drum Shaft was Frozen...

But not behind the clutch on the clutch side--it was on the sprocket side under the small cover for the neutral switch. Penetrating fluid (for rust, not the sex stuff) loosened up the joint so the drum shaft turns and moves shift forks.
    Happy Happy Joy Joy!