Help me choose a VFR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by polizei, Jun 4, 2012.

1. polizei

polizei New Member

Hey Guys,

My wife and I are looking for our first motorcycle and are particularly interested in a VFR. We both have some experience with motorcycles and would like to purchase one that is fun and safe two drive with 2 riders. Can you recommend a particular year or range of years for a budget of $5,000? Can you pass along any advice to consider when selecting a used bike?

I'd like to hear your thoughts specifically on the '86 VFR with red/white/blue paint. We both love the retro look. Could this bike comfortable accommodate 2 riders on occasion?

Thank you,
    Andy

2. Baddabing

Baddabing New Member

Get the newest model you can find in your budget. At least that is my opinion.

3. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
  4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    1st off, you don't drive motorcycles. You ride them. Sorry, had to be said.

2nd, get as new as you can afford including all proper gear for both of you. So if you can afford a 6th gen (02-09?) AND all your gear (including hard bags if you want to travel) for $5000 then go for it. If you have to drop back to a 5th gen, it's still a very good bike but getting harder to get parts for. I ride it with my wife and she's comfortable for 200 miles or so using a sargent seat. We tried a corbin also, but she likes that the sargent has a grippy surface.

Would not recommend any older than a 98. The 4th gen is nice, too but it's even harder to get parts than 5th gen and you lose 50cc which might make a little difference with a passenger. You could still do it, but prob not as well as a 6th gen if you can find one.

5. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

I would definitely go 6th gen, but it's mostly because I have one and love it. It is AMAZING for 2 up riding, even better for solo. I like the old ones too, but I like not having to fiddle with mine all the time either. You don't want your first bike to make you lose interest in it due to fixing an older bike all the time. But I guarantee whatever problem you come across, you will find the answers here on this site.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Not sure what the size and weight are for you and the wife, but the wife and I are ~5'4" 125+/-5lbs (wife. Don't tell her I told you) and ~5'8" 155lbs (me) and we were very comfortable on the R3 trip this past Memorial Day weekend. We spent at least 4 hours on the road coming up, at around 4-5 hours on Saturday and another 4 hours coming back. We did take a few breaks each day but apart from being a little saddle sore near the end of our day on Sunday, we didn't really have any fatigue.

There are at least a few items I will say that helped her be comfortable. One the Sargent seat, although not exactly comfy for her, it is worlds better than the stock seat for both of us. If you really want comfort, I would suggest having a custom seat done by a local upholsterer. The other item that she really loves is the GIVI top Case with the back rest (GIVI E55 TECH - Cases & Top Cases), it allows her to lean back and sit more upright, rather than leaning into me. The last one that she likes too are the "love handles", Oxford rider grips (Oxford Rider Grips - OXF.OF589 : TwistedThrottle.com). These are a set of passenger handles that fit around my waist via Velcro strap and a buckle and allow her to hold onto me rather than the bike's passenger grips. To be quite honest, I don't even know that she's holding onto them.

As far as my bike here the particulars:
    2009 VFR 800 (non ABS)
    Heli-bars
    Sargent Seat
    GIVI touring windscreen
    GIVI Topcase with Backrest
    GIVI T480 Tank Bag
    DynoJet Power Commander V
    Two Bros M2 slip ons

I agree with the others, you should try and get the latest generation that you can afford. I hope this helps.

Cheers!

7. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    +1

Remember to get some gear. Helmet, jacket, boot, gloves minimum. Bout $950
    $300, $200, $200, $50 . That's a decent helmet, A good textile jacket, decent boots and decent gloves.

Budget numbers....

8. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

Regarding the '86 - and I LOVE mine - unless you're both rather small people I wouldn't suggest much 2-up riding on one. Yes, there's a pillion seat and pegs; but there's not much room back there. :cool:

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ^^^ Definately agree with that.

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    If you have 5k to spend a gen 6 is in order. A little hunting and you will find a peach.

11. polizei

polizei New Member

Guys,

Thanks for the great input - online forums like these rock! I've been fortunate to find some good ones where members are really interested in sharing their knowledge with newbies like me. Thank you!

My wife and I anticipated that the gear would be pricey, so we decided to buy proper gear before selecting a bike. I think this approach will help us to stay in budget and be safe! So, I have $5k to spend on a bike... I think I'll look for a clean, early 6th generation in order to stay in budget. Any suggestions on how to shop for a used bike? Are there any specific issues or "red flags" I should be cognizant going into the used motorcycle shopping? How about major service milestones? I'm OK buying a bike with 19,900 miles, but I'd like to know if a major service should be done at 20,000 miles, for example.Is there a mileage figure that I should try to stay under? Also, do you guys always recommend a pre-purchase inspection? Or is it only necessary if there are known / obvious issues?

Ok... just one more question! I understand that it's common for less experienced riders to drop their bike. Are there any safeguards that you recommend installing on a 6th generation that will help protect the bike in the event of it being dropped?

Thanks!

12. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    First off, while its good that you got gear (and I assume that means boots, pants, jackets, gloves and helmets), given your newness to bikes, I'd suggest both you and the little lady take some classes.

The 6th gen (02-09) were pretty much the same, except I think in 2006 (?) the VTEC engagement point changed a little bit. Someone please clarify.

There was also a recall done on some wiring harness on the earlier models, 02 through... '05? If the work was performed, the dealer would/could have punched the VIN on the bike to show it was completed.

Major services are suggested at 16K mile intervals, but many here will forgo doing the first one, or at least postpone it. Standard services, such as oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, should be performed more often, but we'll leave the mechanics out of this post for now. That's a different thread.

Mileage figure to stay under? Personal preference. Depends on how much you think you might rack up in a year. If you're gonna do 15K miles a year, maybe you want a bike with under 10K miles. If your gonna do 3K miles a year, maybe a bike with 35K miles is OK. These engines have proven to have longevity, as long as they were taken care of reasonably well (i.e. oil changes).

There are tons of 6th gens out there, and plenty to be found with way less than 10K miles, and within your price range.

Consider looking for a bike that someone has done some mods too - maybe some hard bags, aftermarket seat, etc. If you're planning on "touring" you might want to look for one of the models that had ABS. Could come in handy, especially in the rain. (Keep in mind ABS does add to the price a little bit).

There are not too many safeguards to prevent damage. You can get frame sliders, but more often than not, this will require drilling holes into the fairings in order to secure them. And actually, if you get a bike with hard bags, these may help in the event of a tip of or drop. I can't say for sure. But it might be easier to repair a hard bag versus a fairing or tail piece.

Oh yea, go take a class. Both of you. (And research on here about Riding 2 up, Riding in the Rain, etc. It'll be good for both).

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    All the guys at the BBQ had lots of helpful suggestions for these handles, and NONE of them involved riding a motorcycle.

14. Rubo

Rubo New Member

1.Best VFR 4th gen 94-97 ligher,best looking
    2.5th gen Fuel injection perhaps best compromise of sport and touring.Won more awards then any bike perhaps in history.(I own one)

Don't buy 6th gen because added complexity of Vtech brings no more horsepower but adds greatly to cost of valve adjustment.Interesting that guys usually sell these bikes right before valve inspection.Very costly procedure and tedious.Honda thankfully dropped the Vtech mambo jumbo on 7th gen.
    Don't buy 6th gen!I would not let my friends buy Vtech engine.
    On ebay 6th gen engines are actually cheaper then 5th gen.
    Just my 2c
    I know I will get scolded by 6gen owners but this is just my opinion.

15. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Like you, I have a 5th Gen. Our members that have earlier gens have pretty much said the earlier gens aren't really great for 2 up, so unless we own one, probably a good idea to listen to those that do have one.

There are plenty of 6th Gens for sale out there with way less than 16K miles which is the "scheduled" major maintenance. Besides, sometimes there are costs involved with owning something. That's life.

What's next? Tell Badbilly not to watch Oprah reruns because its undue wear and tear on his TV? Good luck with that.

16. polizei

polizei New Member

Guys - I'm looking at a very clean, low mileage gen 6 that has been sitting for 2 years. What type of service should be performed on a bike that has been sitting for so long? The owner has agreed to have it inspected at a local, reputable shop while I'm present, so I'm comfortable taking the next step, but I'd like to understand what the proper service steps are for this.

By the way, my wife and I are schedules to finish the safety program in just a few days!

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Oprah has built in love handles.

18. Rubo

Rubo New Member

Sounds like you and your wife are rather new in motorcycling...
    VFR's are heavy and kind of not exactly ideal bikes for new riders. 550lb plus you and your wife's weight is a challenge.
    I would suggest buy used SV650 standard light,torquey loads of character,fun and yes perfect 2 up riding.I have gone on numerous trips with my wife and it was fun.
    You can find pristine example even at $3k. VFR are great bikes but heavy..I won't sell my VFR to any new rider period!
    [​IMG]
    Just to inspire you.
    SV forum members are some of the best around.Ton of feedback and mod help.SV is kind of legendary modern cult bike.I sold my SV to buy the VFR but my heart still misses that little beast of a bike.
    I may end up buying another SV.
    http://www.svrider.com/forum/

19. treasurediver69

treasurediver69 New Member

United States
    Map
    You mentioned that you are interested in two up riding but your both taking the motorcycle course. Are you looking to get 2 bikes for $5K? I bought my '02 VFR last spring with 14K miles for $3K. It has some scuff marks but nothing serious so it might be possible to get two bikes for just a little more than 5K.

I agree with a previous poster that any heavy bike might not be a good first bike but if you have ridden in the past and are just getting back to it, than a VFR would be a nice choice. I had not ridden in 18 years but felt comfortable and confident on my VFR.

Just a thought,
    JohnB

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Is the "owner" paying for this inpection that he is "letting" you attend? It sounds like the bike is not running. Who is responsible for transportation. I would toss in a curveball and ask that the bike be inspected by a mechanic of your choice. Lots of info on bikes that have been sitting for some time. Sort of depends where they have been sitting. IOW, not much info to go by except what the "owner" is telling you.

My life history, my first bike and what I think is cool is forthcoming someday. I do not miss the one Harley I bought. Not for one second. If I did, I'd get another one. If the damn thing was all that great, I'd still have it. It wasn't; I don't.

Chapter Two:

It was a dark and stormy night I was born.