Power Commander causing a battery drain?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by suse, Jun 9, 2012.

1. suse

suse New Member

Does anyone know if a Power Commander can cause a battery drain when the power is off? I'm just curious because after a few days it seems like I'm getting a voltage drop to the point where it won't start. It's not the battery. I installed a new one and the old battery was actually good. I can jump start it and it fires up just fine. I've also had a few incidents where I've been riding for a couple hours, stop and have the starter turn over a couple times and then nothing. But then again I can ride it for a 40 mile round trip for several weeks and it starts just fine. The starting issues seems sort of random.

2. pjvtec

pjvtec New Member

Map
    Remove the power commander for awhile, and see if it duplicates. I worked on a bike once that the customer installed the p/c incorrectly. He put the pigtail eyelet to the wrong battery post. I can't remember which one.

3. suse

suse New Member

I guess it's not the PC. I've checked the voltage on the battery every day for the last 3 days. It is a rock solid 12.83V.

4. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Dirt or corrosion around the battery terminals, the starter relay, the connection at the starter, the contacts in the starter switch, etc. Battery is okay but poor conductivity implies wiring/terminals/contacts issue.

5. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

Similar symptoms.
    Dealer checked charging system, replaced stator, problem corrected.

6. suse

suse New Member

I've had a few times when it would not start. But I didn't have a voltmeter with me. But, with a jump start it was off and running. And I might not have the problem for a month. If and when it happens again I'll have a voltmeter on hand. My guess is that I have a loose connection somewhere that's not allowing full power to the starter. When it won't start it makes a constant clicking sound that you hear on a car with a dead battery.

7. pjvtec

pjvtec New Member

Map
    That clicking is huge. That's the starter solenoid closing. I'd pull that starter motor. Bench test it. Just hook your battery up to it with jumper cables. Be careful...it has a ton of torque.