07 RWB Modifications - Exhaust & HID low beams

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by soloii-74, Jun 25, 2012.

1. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I finally got around to installing the HID lights last week, and finished my gutted stock exhaust and mounted it tonight.

The HID lights were the only ones I have found with the ballast and igniter in the same box - they call them "ultra compact". Got them from coremoto CoreMoto - Custom Sportbike parts and accessories.. The install was easy, I just mounted the box under the instrument assembly - to the two easy to access studs there. I may move them later, since I can see them, but it made for a fairly clean and easy install. I got the 6000k bulbs, and they are very bright white.

2012-06-25_20-54-05_553b.jpg

So far, I really like them, they help me see and be seen. The lights and Wolo Bad Boy horn are my two added methods to increase awareness for the cagers.

Exhaust:

I got a spare set of stock cans from one of the guys here.

Next, following the less easy way of gutting the stock exhaust from the VFRD forum, I cut the ends off, using a cut-off wheel on my angle grinder. I finished cutting the two inside exhaust tubes with a sawsall.

2012-06-06_20-26-47_314.jpg

Here's what it looked like after the end was removed:

2012-06-24_16-29-35_888.jpg

1) I used a long, sharp chisel first to slightly collapse the rear-most baffle, and then to break/cut the welds between that baffle and the muffler wall, and then also the "center" larger pipe.
    2) As described on vfrd, I then locked on a pair of vice grips, grabbed them with a big pair of channel locks, and pounded (watching progress carefully) until the rear-most baffle and tubes were out.
    3) I repeated this process with the front baffle - grabbing the big center pipe to pull that baffle out.
    - you have to be careful that the forward-most baffle does not catch on the perforated liner of the muffler can. - otherwise you could get it kinda stuck.
    4) Repeat with the other side.
    5) Clean out the debris (turn 'em upside down over a trash can)

2012-06-24_16-30-30_607.jpg
    6) The baffle assemblies weigh over 2 lbs. Not huge, but it does lighten that heavy stock system.
    7) Clean up the cut ends
    8) Weld the ends back on using 308 stainless alloy wire and C25 gas. I suggest that you use a low heat setting - the mufflers are very thin metal.
    9) Put the heat shields back on
    10) Remove stock exhaust & install gutted one.
    11) Enjoy the added rumble.

I will have to admit I was very out of practice with my mig welding, and I have never welded stainless with my old Hobart before. Previous experience with stainless was with a tig, much nicer to weld something so thin. My welds were really poor at first. :embarassed: :tsk: I did better on the second of the two cans. Some grinding and sanding, and it looked kinda ok. Once I put the heat shields back on, you would have to be really looking to tell they are modified - until you hear it run. :thumbsup:

My 10 year old son thought it sounded "awesome". :high5:

Wife and daughter just kinda smiled and nodded at my son and I. :wacko: I guess it's mostly a "guy" thing. :rockon:

Not too loud so far - haven't ridden it yet - tomorrow I shall see.

Kevin.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. Guj

Guj New Member

Glad someone was able to use the cans!

Nice job.

Video with sound?

Do the HID's have a start-up delay?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  3. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Video w/ sound..... Hmmm. Took one with my phone... didn't do it justice. I need to re-do it with my HD camcorder.

Rode it to work today. It does have a sound very reminiscent of a V8 with 180 degree headers, like an old Can-Am racer..... way cool. :cool:

Louder, and just noticible enough below 40 (just going kinda easy), but I couldn't discern a significant increase in noise at highway speeds. Wind noise mostly takes over at that point. Only growls when the revs are up with more throttle. :thumbsup:

Driveability is about the same as before - I'm generally pleased since disconnecting the PAIR, and flapper. I'm still thinking I will eventually get a PCV.

The HID's have a brief warm- up, but no start-up delay. I could wire in a relay and timer, but I'm thinking simple is better - if it kills the bulbs early, I will have to figure out a fix.

4. Guj

Guj New Member

Is there any warranty on the HID kit?

5. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Jason,

Coremoto didn't list any specific warranty on the product page, but when I pointed out that the listing for the VFR was incorrect, and listed H7 bulbs for the low beams (not the H4s that are really the low beams, and the H7s as the High beams) they sent me replacement H4 bulbs and a return envelope for the H7s. Cust service was excellent :thumb: You would have to talk to them or explore the website further to find out the warranty and returns policy. The price was very good, and my experience with the service and response was too. Quality of product is as expected. I shall see how long the bulbs and ballast/igniters last.