Intermittent Electrical Issues

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by agrich2, Jul 7, 2012.

1. agrich2

agrich2 New Member

My 1999 VFR 800 is having electrical issues.
    Several years ago I had the original R/R on it and had problems with it starting and holding a charge on a battery.
    I purchased a new Ricks Electric R/R and new battery and the problem went away.
    Now it's back again and it is not making any sense.
    Sometimes the bike doesn't like to start after sitting for a while, however, now it's been doing it after letting it sit for only a few hours.
    Then I can ride it for a week and it won't have any starting issues at all.
    When it doesn't start, the LCD screen will flash and all of my setttings (except Odometer) will go back to zero.
    My question is do I need to get a new R/R and replace the harness too???
    Is there something else in the electrical system that needs to be swapped out???

I know there has been some very in depth discussion on this topic.
    I don't want to get into a lengthy debate. I just want to hear from someone who knows how to make it all go away.
    Summer is here and I want to ride........

Thanks for viewing,
    Aden Rich

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. Rubo

Rubo New Member

http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gene...-stalled-red-light-wouldnt-start-back-up.html
    read this thread.Common problem and no need for me to type everything again.
    Buy mosfet style regulator and your troubles will go away.Read the thread.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  4. Dirtylocks

Dirtylocks New Member

Rubo, so are you saying that the RR from wiremybike.com is junk? I was planning on buying it to help with my electrical issues...

"This Regulator/Rectifier has been upgraded from previous offerings and from the OEM design. The new version now offers 50A capacity, and a large casting/better cooling design. This R/R features MOSFET technology like the popular FHA012AA from the Yamaha R1. It is made by Ricks Motorsport Electrics, arguably the best Honda Aftermarket supplier I have found. The unit carries a 1 year warranty from time of order."

Why do you not like Rick's parts?

And where can one find a reputable MOSFET RR elsewhere?

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Agree with Dirty. I don't know where you're getting your info Rubo on Ricks being junk, but I'd bet there are hundreds, and possibly thousands of folks that have purchased Rick's unit without an issue. Me being one of them. (And I didn't have to cut the fins off to make it fit).

I've never met JT (owner of wiremybike), but he struck me as a stand up guy, with awesome customer service and knowledge of these bikes and our R/R issues.

6. Rubo

Rubo New Member

I had Ricks regulator which failed in a year.That's just my experience.
    You do have a choice.... Roadstercycle-Index complete kit 149 shipped with new latest japan made R1 regulator.
    I like R1 unit better but you do what you like I am just a poster here.
    I am honest person and I say what I would say to my friends
    Why pay $145 for aftermarket regulator (claims same as R1 no its not the same) then pay $40 or $70
    for wiring?
    Why not buy the real Japan made R1 regulator and all the wiring for 149! No brainier to me.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  7. agrich2

agrich2 New Member

I purchased the super kit. Looks simple and I like the fuse in between. I also bought a new stator from VFRNess and wiring harness as mine is melted a bit. With this new kit, will I need the VFRNess as well...?

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    If you bought the Roadstercycle kit, it wires direct to the battery and you wont need the VFRness. -- I admit I'm anal, but I would ask tightwad to sell you a connector to the power where the normal R/R hooks up. Use it to seal up the joint and work to make it water proof for further reliability. (Liquid tape is fun stuff. :wink:)

Check my connect seal up job on this.........

Compufire R/R install wrap - up on a 5th gen (finally) - Electrical - VFR Discussion

9. Rubo

Rubo New Member

I am confused as why you bought the wiring harness.The kit comes with all the wiring you need.
    You don't need any more wiring assuming you bought the R1 kit.Just so you are aware you are by-passing stock wiring harness.Its a direct bolt on to battery negative and positive.

10. agrich2

agrich2 New Member

I have installed a new VFRNess, Rick's stator and R/R. Intial testing shows a idle voltage of 14.2 and 5K RPM voltage at 14.7. Hopefully I am past this nonsense of burning up connectors and draining batteries.

Thanks for the help. Now it's time to ride......

Aden Rich

11. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    You should be good with those installs, although 14.2 at idle? Is that idle as in 1100-1200, or cold idle at 2000?

Its not entirely necessary to solder the stator wires to the R/R since you are using the VFRness, but did you?

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    A bit confused - so which R/R did you buy? -- Just curious..:biggrin:

13. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    I just installed the roadstercycle kit and it has been perfect. I show 14.17 at 5K rpms (Or really any RPM over idle, lol). Went out on a 60 mile ride yesterday and it was hot...fan kicked on a few times in traffic. As soon as I got home I tested the resting voltage of my Battery and it was at 13.1 so the RR is doing a great job IMO.