1990750f battery drain issue

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by vfreak750, Jul 12, 2012.

1. vfreak750

vfreak750 New Member

My VIFFER was diagnosed twice by two separate shops. The latest one is from a Honda service center. Both instances recommended to replace the battery. All diagnostics showed that it was charging properly (shop indoor tested). For some reason after a long period of riding (approx 10-12 hrs) it just kills the battery. I'm taking it back again tomorrow to Honda, but I'm hoping to hear from someone in this thread if they've experienced the same issue. I don't want to give up on this bike as what my other rider volunteers (running a charity group) advised. I'd like to achieve its iconic figure of long distance capability. Please help? thanks

2. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Ask them to replace the Rectifier/Regulator unit in addition to the new battery, and to carefully inspect the connectors, wires and crimp lugs for any evidence of overheating and burning. This is a very common failure on these bikes. If you use the search function you can read a multitude of stories about failure of the RR and the anguish, fear and loathing that it causes to both owners and mechanics.

3. vfreak750

vfreak750 New Member

thx for your input...I've arranged that with the dealership now

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Service manual shows how to test for reverse current flow from battery with key off. Any current leakage suggests a bad r/r.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    You really need to conduct the charging tests after the bike has been ridden for a while and is really good and warmed up since faulty electrical components tend to fail when they get really hot. Simply starting the bike up and testing after sitting a while can give false readings which is exactly what happened when I was troubleshooting my charging system the first time it was giving me problems.

Rollin