Help New 2003 VFR800

Discussion in 'USA - Mountain' started by dnye, Aug 20, 2012.

1. dnye

dnye New Member

Honda VFR800.jpg
    Hello, just picked up a new to me 2003 Honda VFR800 and want to make a few chenges. I'm new to the street, but have been riding dirt for years so I have experience...just not much on the pavement.

I'm 6' 2" and feel like I want to lower my pegs, raise my bars and find a better seat and that is probably all I will do for now. So iI thought I would give a shout out to the community and see if anyone has already done these mods...and can I set on your bike? I have been looking at Heli Bars, Convertibars and Spiegler, anyone have any experience with these?

For peg lowering I have been looking at Peg Blocks here. Peg Lowering Blocks - Bargain Finder - VFR Discussion

The Sargent seat looks like the best option but like to set on one and I'm open to options as well.

Question, what happens a 7,000 rpm that makes this bike really move? At lows rpms it is fairly docile but when it hits 7k, wow!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Welcome to the nuts house.........
    Heli bar is a common mod
    Lowering foot pegs also popular for tall guy
    Sargent seat or corbin are the best investment if you decided to ride on a long trip. Your A$$ will thank you.
    Low RPM surge can be fix by adding the PCIII or PCV, O2 eliminator.....The list go on. You can pretty much find all the threads on the forum relate to your question.

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    At lower RPM the engine is only operating on 2 valves per cylinder (1 intake / 1 exhaust.) When the RPM reaches a certain level @ 6800 RPM the VTEC kicks in which opens up 2 more valves per cylinder giving you a total of 2 intake and 2 exhaust valves. That is why you are noticing a change in sound and power

Rollin

4. dnye

dnye New Member

Rollin, nice explanation thanks for the info.

Dan

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome, nice bike-but red ones are the fastest------ go for the Heli bars, you wont regret it

6. proverbio

proverbio New Member

United States
    Map
    I did all three of these mods. The Sargent seat is my favorite. The blocks came quick and was an easy instal (got them from the same guy you listed); I do remove them when I hit the canyons. Lastly, I'd suggest doing the PAIR mod. If this mod hasn't been done on your bike, it's totally worth it. Check the forum for more info.

Welcome!