Project: Get 86 VF500F race bike on the street.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Captain 80s, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    My 1986 VF500F race bike. Built it about 12 years ago.
    IMG_1889.jpg
    Chassis completely refurbished, steering stem and wheel bearings new, all suspension linkage completely cleaned and repacked. Gold valves and heavier springs in the front, rebuilt Fox Twin-Clicker out back.
    IMG_1891.jpg
    Tarozzi rearsets. CBR900RR Footpegs and shifter.
    IMG_1909.jpg
    900RR shifter upside down as brake pedal actuating part of the original brake pedal.
    IMG_1911.jpg
    Telefix clip-ons and 900RR throttle assy, gauge cluster moved up for clearance and visibilty.
    IMG_1895.jpg
    GSM case savers, 84 engine - 4000 mi. w/ 2 races on it... (replaced the 86 motor that finally sucked a valve - I know, SHOCKER! 86 motor is going to be used in another street bike I'm going to build), 85 carbs gravity fed from 86 tank. Stator, flywheel, starter motor and starter clutch removed, total loss ignition using small scooter battery. (No flywheel was super harsh on the cam chain runners, but man it revved so quick and nice!) Rad fan removed.
    IMG_1908.jpg IMG_1898.jpg
    4 into 2 exhaust system. Front cylinders into left, rear into right. No idea who made it, I've never seen another one exactly like it. I came with additional smaller packable "street" baffles than can slide into the larger race baffles. Exhaust sounds absolutely wicked!
    IMG_1901.jpg IMG_1902.jpg
    Action shot... (plus one on my F2 entering the same corner)
    SRP9.jpg SRP8.jpg
    So... I'll be reinstalling the charging and starting systems, figuring out lighting and switches and coming up with a more suitable seat for the street.
    IMG_1029.jpg
    Just too many cool parts to just sit there as a shrine or something. And I really don't want to cannibalize it for other bikes. She needs to be ridden again, and I don't seem to be making it out for track days ($$$).
    I'll document as I go.
    Mike.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    A little progress... Starter clutch assembled and in. Here's the starter block off plate I had in there from a broken starter.
    IMG_1918.jpg IMG_1915.jpg
    Stator and rotor installed along with the reg/rect. Starter solenoid installed as well.
    IMG_1919.jpg
    Should be able to electric start it tomorrow after installing a starter and plugging in a right switch assy... anxious to hear it again!

3. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know how I missed this thread the other day. That bike looks fantastic. I can only imagine how well it will perform on the street. What are your major obstacles for making it happen?

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Starter motor rebuilt and in. Ran cable from starter to solenoid. Battery in... neutral and oil light! Fill with coolant, fresh oil & filter, plug in temp start switch assy, hang aux fuel cell. Tank drains as carbs fill up... no drips. Pull choke knob... cranks about a half second... perfect high idle. Yes! Warm up a little... couple blips of the throttle... OMFG! This thing sounds so F-ing wicked! God it's been a while. Throttle response is super crisp.

Need to clean up the work bench and lift, then I'll shoot some video in the next couple days.

Next I need to install a thermostat and radiator fan (which I should have done before filling with coolant, but I just wanted to hear it run again). Need to get a RC51-style starter/kill switch assy. Narrowing down the taillight I want. Headlight(s) are going to be a tougher decision and execution. Custom seat pan with real foam and upholstery to work with the race tail section eventually.

(more) Beer now.

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    [video=youtube;V1S8_Jag-ro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1S8_Jag-ro&feature=youtu.be[/video]
    Charging system working perfectly. Gauge assembly with speedo from the 84 engine donor bike installed. Working on headlight and handlebar switch gear next.

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Now that's a 500 that has me drooling!

7. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    True, same here!

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    If you don't like that turn your man card in at the door on your way oot.

9. orange55pro

orange55pro New Member

Sounds wicked. Hope to improve on my motad Neta pipes there just to quiet but better than stock.

10. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    I always likes that little race bike of yours. Sounds excellent.

11. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    You are making me miss my little VF500F. They are such cool bikes. Of course I miss em all after I let em go.

12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Some more progress.
    I was looking at an old photo of the bike showing a headlight opening cover with a vent hole...
    Spokane2000.jpg
    Gave me an idea for the headlight using a light I already had.
    IMG_1953.jpg IMG_1955.jpg
    Taillight and license plate bracket done. Fabricated some simple brackets to hold a stock taillight in the right spot. It filled the space nicely and I already had it.
    IMG_1951.jpg IMG_1947.jpg IMG_1949.jpg
    I was looking at some LED taillights with license brackets, but I just wasn't finding anything I really liked. Went and grabbed a stock taillight and held it up in there... done.
    Turn signals next. Just going to mount some small ones off of the license bracket and the bottom of the upper cowl brackets.
    RC51 handlebar switches and small round bar end mirrors (which I'm sure will be fairly useless) are on the way.
    Dug out the radiator fan and thermostat.

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Actually, I think the stock taillight looks pretty good in there. I'm looking forward to seeing how the turn signals come out.

14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Turn signals. Still need to match the radius of the signal stalks, do some general clean up and paint all the new brackets.
    IMG_1956.jpg IMG_1962.jpg IMG_1959.jpg IMG_1960.jpg

15. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Ultimately, I would like to do something more integrated regarding the lighting. A couple twin small round headlights in a custom enclosure for the headlight opening. And some VFR400 round taillights thru the tail section would be great. But I really wanted to keep the initial spirit of the race bike intact for now.

The whole taillight/license/turn signal assembly can come off as a unit with 4 bolts. The whole race seat can still come with the taillight unit in place with only 2 bolts. The seat unit "floats" a little because of how it's mounted, so any taillights through the back will have to be mounted to the glass. Headlight unit comes completely out with 2 bolts.

Plus... I already had these parts. And I splurged on the handlebar switch assemblies I wanted so I can retain the current handlebar setup and I still need to buy tires. I'll get some better pics off of the lift and a little farther away for a better perspective.

16. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    They look good front and rear - much cleaner than what the bike originally came with.

17. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    RC51 handlebar switches installed along with brake and clutch switches on the master cylinders. Radiator fan and thermostat installed. Moved fuse panel back to triple clamp when I decided to run an ignition switch (best way to make sure I have my gas cap key with me :) Bar end mirrors installed. Still need to clean up the turn signal brackets and give them some satin black paint. Headlight will use the old ignition toggle switch (RC51 switch doesn't incorporate the headlight connector... I will eventually run it thru the switch, but the toggle is right there and it will be nice to be able to turn the headlight off.)
    I think that's it for updates.
    IMG_1965.jpg IMG_1969.jpg IMG_1968.jpg

18. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Ready for a test ride. Still need new tires though. Temporary extra fuel tank installed, I'm doing some work to the original. Still need to partially disassemble some of the new brackets and do some shaping and painting. Added an extra layer of foam to the seat area for some extra height and comfort for now.
    IMG_1973.jpg IMG_1988.jpg IMG_1992.jpg

19. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Brrrr! But awesome! Feels SO good to ride it again! Might have to swap out the signal relay, didn't work on the road, but worked when I rolled it in the garage. Almost ran out of gas. Had just a splash to get me down to the station. I was almost there when I remembered I had the wrong gas cap in. Went back, grabbed the key and headed back down the hill... died at the pump... whew. No leaks or real issues. Those little mirrors actually work really good. Extra seat foam feels good, definitely helped the seat to footpeg relationship a bit.

20. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I can't believe the progress you've made on this. It looks great and I bet performance wise it's better than stock. What are your plans for the bodywork? Are you going to add a full fairing or leave it with the naked look?