1984 Interceptor 500f, Gas tank Help

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by mrgotvic, Oct 28, 2012.

1. mrgotvic

mrgotvic New Member

Map
    Hello, I am new to the forum with a bike i am tryin to ride for the first time, my problem is the gas tank is missing fuel shutoff valve, aka petcock assembly I need help in finding a replacement or if their is anyways in finding out which other tanks can fit this version of bike. Thanks again all for the help

2. ThatVF500Guy

ThatVF500Guy New Member

Map
    I would think that every 500 petcock would fit but you may want to check that with some on-line schematics. In the meantime search out ebay for a replacement. The last time I checked the parts could be purchased if the diaphram needs to be replaced.
    HTH,
    Jim

3. mykarz

mykarz New Member

Map
    A 1984 or 1985 VF500 petcock assembly will fit, and possibly some of the 700/750s and maybe 1000s, but for sure not the 1986 VF500, as it has a much larger fuel line due to the lack of a fuel pump.

Check some parts fiches and cross reference the PNs, or wait, and someone on here is bound to know.

4. Gid101

Gid101 New Member

Long time lurker here! I want to say that I'm very happy that this forum exist, it has helped me so much in fixing up my 86 VF500. I thought I would throw my two cents in and then ask a question of my own while I'm here.

First of all mrgotvic your in luck, because you have an 84 there are many replacements petcocks on eBay. If that's not your style then you can try to rebuild one you find. My petcock was stuck on perma-on because the rubber gasket on the inside was shot. I ended up having to rebuild it because there are no 86 parts out there. There are two post, one with pics on how to rebuild it if that's the road you decide to take. Here's to rebuild the gaskets and here is for the pump.
    I hope that helps solve your problem!

And now for a question of my own, (just borrowing your thread!) As I said above, I have a 86 VF500 that I have been working on. When I got it, the poor bike was a mess. Brakes-shot, tires-flat, would n't start, missing the keys, but at least it had a title and I got it dirt cheap lol! After replacing the ignition switch I tried to fire it up, nothing. It would turn and turn and turn. Started pulling the bike apart and found a little surprise.... someone had tried to rebuild the carbs with what looked like only silicone. It was everywhere! I don't think the kid I bought it from even knew what a gasket was! It clogged everything! Anyways, I ended up rebuild the carbs and can now fire up the bike just fine but I have one issue that I would like to fix first.

All the original gas lines had been removed and replace by what looked like a 3 year old. there was a 2" hose from the petcock to the Y spice, then straight to the carbs. no filters or anything. I have looked around but cant find any diagrams on how or were the original lines were ran, I know that the filter was near the back of the seat but I have no idea on how they ran the lines. If someone would be willing, could they snap some pics of there 86 lines for me? Or better yet point me in the direction of a diagram that shows the line placement?

I thank you guys for your help in advance and for all the help you've already provided!

5. mykarz

mykarz New Member

Map
    It actually sounds like your fuel routing is fairly stock. There were no pumps or filters from the factory for the 86 model, and instead they used a specific, nearly impossible to find, ~4' long (~14mm dia) piece of fuel hose that went from the petcock to the Y-splice. The other side of the Y-splice had more standard fuel lines that went to each of the banks of carburetors (front and back). If you want, and I would recommend it, place two in-line fuel filters here.

I have to do some work on my 86 today anyways (I think the rear wheel bearing is shot), so I'll take a pic for you and post it up later.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    gid101 : for exact routing of wires, hoses, cables, etc. nothing comes close to the illustrations in the factory manual.

7. mykarz

mykarz New Member

Map
    Here's a good factory Honda service manual for the VF500:
    Service Manuals