84 vf1000f in parts

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by bikerinneb, Nov 18, 2012.

1. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to the site, and have some questions about a 1000f I have that is in parts.
    First, are there any reliable sources for parts outside of the usual (bike bandit, powersportsplus, etc)?
    Second, the motor is in pieces and am wondering why anyone would pull the heads apart without putting the camshafts and especially the camshaft caps back in their original places. It's been a long time since I have put an engine together, but I have to assume the caps should stay where they were for tolerances to the cams. Are there casting marks to determine where they should go?
    Third, if I can't find the parts I need for a reasonable price, how much interest is out there for parts if I part it out. This is a high mileage bike, but I have mic'ed cylinders and pistons and they are still well within tolerance, (.003 piston to cyl, .0005 cyl taper, still a nice crosshatch in the cyl's, bodywork is in exceptional shape (2 small scratches in the tank and paint rubbed from the seat, one small scrape in upper fairing, small spot of clear coming off under right rear grab bar, the rest of the paint is really great, seat is very nice. No dents anywhere. Just a REALLY clean bike overall.
    I would really like to resurect this bike to be a nice rider and dont have very much money into it yet, but it seems I might have a LOT more into it than I can justify.
    Any and all opinions would really be appreciated.
    Thanks for any input, and its great to be a part of this site.

2. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Yes the cam caps should go back to their original spot. I don't know of any casting marks. May be you can find some witness marks between the pieces. That's a long shot though. Magnifying glasses may help. Or you just have to fit and measure each one to a position that works for the best. Don't know where you are going to get rings and hopefully your bearings are still in the correct spots if the case has been split. Can't find those either.

Those bikes are like hens teeth so there is not much out in the market for them let alone OEM specific parts vs genral parts that other VF models use. Though you most like can make a good buck parting it out, IF you can find people who need specific 1000 parts. I've been looking for a VF1000F motor for quite awhile and still no luck.

3. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Grey, I am finding out the availability issues. I do have a source that can get me a lot of oem stuff, I just dont want to pay his price for the bigger, harder to find items. I guess I'm somewhat in your boat. If I could find a motor reasonably it wouldn't be so bad. Just wondering if I'm better off parting it out if there is enough interest. I'm somewhat reluctant to do that, but if it would help some others out I will.

4. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Certainly not worth parting out, I think you would find that it is worth more in complete running condition. Hopefully that is what you end up doing. Good luck!

5. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Grey,
    I have purchased a new oem piston and have located rings for stock bore, not too pricey either. Haven't had a lot of time lately, just cleaning parts and looking for some things I will need.
    Also had an 85 motor and modded frame that I could have bought, but I'm not looking at spending the bank to get this back together, and dont want to start morphing parts together. I am, though, definitely going to put her back together and get on the road. If these are that hard to find I think it will be pretty cool to get it done and take out and about.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that this is my second vf, the first was a new 84 700, my first street bike.
    Kinda like I'm coming home again.
    Thanks for the input guys, now to get to work and I'll be asking plenty of questions I'm sure.

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I refuse to put my two pennies in withoot a pic....
    :worthless:

7. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry its taken so long but here are a few pics as it stands now. Havent been able to do much of anything due to cold weather. 128.jpg 131.jpg 132.jpg 135.jpg

8. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like a good start. Keep the pics coming.

9. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Hoping the weather doesnt stay real cold for too long, but it is december in nebraska, so you never know. Just cant wait to start going at it and getting things done. Maybe I was too anxious to get another project going, but oh well, its here and waiting for me. Thought I would post a few pics of my little 350 cafe I did last spring. 094.jpg 005.jpg 009.jpg 024.jpg 056.jpg 084.jpg

10. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Cafe looks great. Good luck with the VF1K. Nice to see one of those brought back to life.

11. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Love the 350. The big F is in capable hands. Hopefully your shop is warmer than the single digit temps mine has seen latey.

12. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the votes of confidence. Everyone around here says if you can put one of these together from boxes, then anything else should be really easy. I suppose I'll find out. may have been a stretch for me but its one of the bikes I've wanted since they came out.
    Does anyone know of a Co. that does black chrome somewhere in the midwest? my pipes dont look too bad but I want them looking perfect.
    Wish I could say different hopit, but its been pretty cold here too. Too cold to be out in the garage.
    Thanks again guys.

13. thenateshow

thenateshow New Member

Hey bikerinneb,

Not sure if any vf1000r parts will fit the 1000f but if they do and you need them to bring back your 84 let me know. I bought an 85 1000r that i planned to bring back but not enough of it was there when I got it home.

Nate

14. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Nate, I have no idea if any of the parts will match up but I sure will keep you in mind.

15. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    090.jpg 091.jpg Well, thank goodness the weather is finally breaking here, so I can start doing a little work. Just got the heads and engine covers back from the powdercoater, and they look REALLY good. Only problem with that is that I am now going to have to get a number of other things done to keep up with how good the engine is going to look. My plan from the start was just to make a nice runner out of it, but that is changing fast. AUGH! Oh well, thats just how these things always seem to go...start thinking about how to get things looking real nice, and its not long before EVERYTHING gets redone. Working on getting the heads together now, while I'm waiting on the cases, and probably stripping down to the frame to have it done as well. Havent totally convinced myself of that yet though. It's good to be working on it finally though.

16. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello everyone,
    It's been a little while since I've updated on the situation here, so here goes. I got my leg smashed at work about a week ago so things have been really slow here (my calf looks like a small volleyball, but no breaks so I am actually really lucky). The downtime has given me the opportunity to find out what I actually have here and its not all good.
    I find out that I have a 49 state chassis and motor but california carbs. PO had the bike in a shop that broke it down, but obviously these were swapped/ sold somewhere in that process. So, a few questions;
    1) is this a workable setup or do I need to find 49 state carbs?
    2) in a post above, thenateshow has an 85 1000r, will those carbs work better?

The weather is actually going to be in the 70's here finally so I'm going to try to get the frame painted this weekend and start getting the front and rearends put back together so I can at least have a rolling chassis. The engine cases are still at powdercoat so no news there. I am wondering though if I can get a complete seal kit for the tranny or if those seals need to be individually purchased.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

17. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    You might have some issues with the California carbs, probably better off getting the 49-state version. The VF1000R carbs are essentially the same so you could use either.

18. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the help and your time Jamie, I am now on the hunt.
    Thenateshow, I am interested in talking to you about a set of carbs.

19. thenateshow

thenateshow New Member

Sorry brother, I sold the whole bike about a month ago.

20. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Thats fine. Thanks for the headsup tho.