84 vf700f with 52 original, yes 52, yes again 52, original miles from new !

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by shabbabear, Dec 11, 2012.

1. shabbabear

shabbabear New Member

Hey fellow VF and VFR owners, Shabbabear here from Maryland (in the states) I found and bought an all original with 28 miles on it, yes only 28 original miles 1984 VF700F Interceptor from the original owner in Ohio about 3 months ago with only 28 original miles on it. I put on the other 24 miles, thus the current mileage of 52 on the bike, and have begun the long process of literally stripping it down by every single nut and bolt and totally putting it back to BETTER than new condition. NOT ONE SINGLE nick, cut or dent on entire bike !!!. I already own a 2008 VFR800 with the RC-30 rear wheel conversion and the Rothmans VFR seen here on this forum (in my gallery) and a zero miles form the crate 2007 VFR 800 Anniversary Edition (that is the anniversary colors that exactly match the 1984 BLUE model). OK I know the 2007 25th anniv bike is not the correct Candy Aleutian Blue, Shasta White and Fighting Red of the 84 bike but it was Honda's re-creation of the 84 model that the 25th is colored after. Remember the 83 BLUE bike had ALL blue graphics and the 85 model is too new to be the 25th anniversary. Anyway, I waited almost 20 years and I can't tell you how many Interceptors I chased down (JUST 1984 models) to finally get to this one. I had the very 1984 Interceptor in BLUE when I was in college and I have worked tirelessly for 25 years trying to get it back...FINALLY DID !!!!. Anyway, if there is interest in the forum, I can start posting photos of the bike and its progress back to IMMACULATENESS (I think that could be a word). I put in over 1200 hours totally putting back into MUSEUM condition a 1978 Honda Civic CVCC so I figure I'll have about 800 hours into this bike when done..literally. I already have over 6 hours just rebuffing and preserving the left gearcase cover, over 2 hours WITH A NEEDLE touching up the HONDA word on the cover...you get the idea now !. No I'm not crazy cause I love the VF/VFR series. Back to the bike, yes even the tires are in perfect condition and the chain is still covered in lithium grease. Problems are owner left the original tank of gas from the dealer in 1984 in the tank..serious work due here. Many spots on the aluminum foot brackets have filliform corrosion, rats (?) had built a nest and eaten part of the air box and the fan blades. Fuel filter black and useless, fuel pump to be rebuilt, fuel sending unit in tank completely rusted shut from 28 year old gas. PIPES and WINDSCREEN and all plastics are IMMACULATE which is a GOD send since Honda does all but deny they ever even made the bike when trying to ever find any of those parts. Front fender brace to be buffed out and on and on. All fluids look like chocolate milk so I'll be redoing all those and replacing every seal everywhere PERIOD. Good new is I ran a boroscope into the cylinders and the piston domes are so new that the original stamping and the silver color is still viewable !!!. OK enough for tonight but before I go I'd love to get feedback from Interceptor fans like me as to what you think this will be worth when I'm done in about 4 months ???. I'm thinking at least $10k due to a couple really clean VF700F's I've seen on EBAY with like 10-16k miles but very clean going for right at $6500-$7000..ya'lls thoughts ???.

Ride Safe everyone and love to get comments...

Shabbabear
    billgash@comcast.net

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Matt_j

Matt_j New Member

Canada
    Map
    :worthless: j/k. Congrats on the find and Pics, Please!

3. shabbabear

shabbabear New Member

I'll get some pics taken tonight and start posting...just starting the long project but none the less you're right....need photos to document the process.

shabbabear

4. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Yep. I don't beleive you until I see pics damn it and I'm to lazy to look in the gallery so they must be posted here.

Side note: When my '93 VFR turns over 100025 miles I'm going to list it for sale as only having 25 miles on it but annotate that for those 25 miles it was absolutely beat to shit!! It'll show. It'll show.

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The shame......such a tease........ :tsk:
    :worthless:

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the forum, congratulation on your new ride.
    I thought they built motorcycle so people can rid them :confused:

7. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    +1!!!!!!!!!

8. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Great find and good luck with it. I am afraid I do differ from most as old stuff and antique stuff has little or no value to me. I would pay for new technology but old technology has little to no value to me. Enjoy your find!!!

9. shabbabear

shabbabear New Member

Will do, will do my friend...my sincere apologies for starting the blog w/o pics...my bad....

x

10. shabbabear

shabbabear New Member

You are 100% correct scuba about riding the bike...but read about all the work I need to do first...then I'll ride,...and i KNOW...get photos up..I will tonight. As for being on the forum Ive been a forum member for a few years now and my Rothmans VFR is in the gallery. One HUUUUUGE item I did not write about on my bike is that the owner, after a couple years of ownership, decided since he was not going to ride it for a while (his words) he would Kreem the tank...I hate that shit (Kreem) but it gets worse... and now you'll know why this project is going to take a while....ready for it ?????...the original owner put the entire kreem kit in the tank WITHOUT removing the original gas from 1984...yes I am having to clean and redo the sender unit, petcock, inside tank is a rusted hulk..outside is perfect. Owner also DID NOT drain the remaining Kreem from the tank so I have this huge gelatinous blob of what feels like vinyl clogging up everything. Fuel filter is solid black, fuel pump needs work, you get the idea. Inside the carbs are a beautiful irish green and caramel brown..again not ideal for running at all. Trust me guys...I'm on it and I'll keep posting as I go.

11. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Sounds like the fuel system is quite a mess. Curious as to how you were able to put 24 miles on it in that condition? It's always nice to get a bike that you've been chasing down. Should be a nice addition to the stable. As far as what's it's worth, that's always a hot debate and it usually ends in "it's worth what someone will pay". I suppose there's someone out there that would pay 10k for an '84 700 but I can't imagine who, even with no miles. They made no historic contribution. Most people would rather have the 750. With museum mint CBX's getting 10k and the kR's fetching 7-8k for really nice examples, I would guess(only a guess) that a 10k 700 would be a tough sell even if it was still in the crate. That's not to say that buyer isn't out there. If someone will pay 10k for a model train they played with as a kid, they certainly might drop for a mint bike. I would look at it like this...this is clearly a rare find and if you have always wanted one and want to keep it forever, then the fun of restoring it and the mega-smile that you'll be wearing while riding it is truly priceless. I'm so looking forward to the pics, now get on it!!

12. Madmanx

Madmanx New Member

Amazing. I too am rebuilding an 84 700, of course mine is not in great condition but I will be really interested in your restoration.
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Hospit88 has asked the question of the day.

14. shabbabear

shabbabear New Member

Love your VFR1000R project first off. Secondly, when I got the bike back here to Maryland I put a jumper battery on it and tried to start it and it actually ran on the 28 year old gas so I rode it around my neighborhood knowing I was going to have to do major cleaning of the fuel system from starting. I was astounded that the bike even ran on that old of gas. It wasn't until I started to take the bike apart that I found the crap in the tank, called the seller and got the story written here. I can only assume that since I never went over like 15 miles per hour it literally ran on a trickle of gas and what was in the carbs. Tried to post photos but the site is not allowing me access to my gallery. Don't know why since I've been a member of the VFR forum here since early 2010 when I posted my Rothmans VFR800 project that is still on here. Sent a note to the moderator so we'll see.

15. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Good Luck with your project! Did you try posting your pics "here" on your thread? I think this is where everybody wants to see them.... ;)

16. shabbabear

shabbabear New Member

trying to post photos of the bike but disabled by site handlers

Thanks Salvo, took about 50 pics of the bike to start but can't gain access to gallery. Have emailed moderators(s) more than once but no response. Makes no sense since I have been on this site since early 2010. If they unlock the gallery option or control panel then I'll load them up.

Bill

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'm guessing this bike is one of those with the full litre floatbowls.

18. shabbabear

shabbabear New Member

Not sure what you're referencing on the float bowls...are you asking if the VF700 has the same float bowls as the VF1000 ?. I know all the manufacturers are keen on sharing parts form bike ti bike as it saves tons in development and production costs.

19. shabbabear

shabbabear New Member

You gonna leave the oiling set up stock or do the mod that a lot of folks talk about to keep the cams/valves from starving for oil ?. Gonna leave mine stock and just always remember to never let the bike idle for long. I worked for Honda (dealer) back when I had my 84 Interceptor and one of my close friends was a Honda Factory Master Tech...this was the recommendation we gave to everyone and I followed it as well and NEVER had any type problems at all. One of the few bikes that did better when run vigorously !

20. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    You have to open an account at an online hosting site like photobucket.com (free) and download your pics. From there you can post all you want :cool: