VFR800 VTEC Engine clicking noise

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by The_Kow, Dec 16, 2012.

1. The_Kow

The_Kow New Member

Hi guys

This is my first post, so please forgive me if in the wrong section, etc.

I have a 2008 VFR800 VTEC and have been hearing a strange knocking noise when the bike is warm and holding the throttle at around 1200rpm. I've spent the last 4 hours researching this, and from what I can tell, after listening to many video clips and reading tons of posts, that it's not the cam chain tensioner - that seems to have more of a constant ticking sound. Mine sounds like more of a hollow knocking sound, and only happens intermittently, not repeatedly like the CCT noise.

I've included a link to a Youtube clip below, which sounds the same as what I'm experiencing. My bike only has 13000km on the clock so far, and is due for a service. I'd like to get some input before I take it into the dealer and get a long, expensive repair bill - praying there is a simple DIY fix to this, and that the collective knowledge of my fellow VFR riders can help me out.

Link: VFR 'Clicking' - YouTube

One of the only two comments reads "My 08 does the same. It is a slight intake lean mixture backfire from the air cleaner intake. Nothing to worry about." Any idea if this is an accurate diagnosis, and if so, how does one remedy this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Bernard

2. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I would start by checking the air valve on top of your air box cover. I forget the name of it but it is a flap that opens and closes to keep the intake noise down. I ripped mine out and plugged up the hose with a golf tee and some electrical tape. I have a 98 and wanted to hear those gear driven cams better. If it is not that you could have a hose that has come off your pair valves or some other emission hoses. I really doubt it is anything serious. I would start with checking that flapper thing first. I would just plug that hose up that hooks up to it and see if that stops the noise. All you have to do is take the two bolts off in the front of the tank and prop the tank up and it is right there. Good luck and welcome to the forum

3. speeduhh

speeduhh New Member

Did you manage to fix this and did you find out what it was?

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    does it go away when you pull in the clutch?

5. speeduhh

speeduhh New Member

no, it just continues but it is not constant, it stops after a few seconds after I let go of the gas. the warmer the engine, more more seconds the sound lasts.

6. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

I am only speculating here, but this sounds like the noise I had in my 07....maybe.
    Search for the thread I posted about it; 2007 engine knock.
    If, and I repeat IF this is the same noise, it is not CCT, it is not the airbox valve, it is not in the clutch assy. It caused me to get rid of the bike.
    But do check out my thread.

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I have only had two weird engine noises on my vtec. One was the cct's at around 30,000 miles, I replaced them and it went away. The second noise is the clutch basket rattle. It is only there while the bike is warming up and running rough and goes away when I pull in the lever, I'm not worried about that one, I will fix it when ever I finally kill the factory clutch.

8. JTBakay

JTBakay New Member

I am curious as I too have this same noise happening right now. Only happens when I open the throttle slightly when in neutral at around 1300rpm.

9. speeduhh

speeduhh New Member

Well, I found it was from the cam chain. The guys from the service said that it was pretty new, they could not explain why it was doing that. Maybe not so good quality.

10. Jagred

Jagred New Member

Map
    Glad it turned out to be something easily fixed. I know that feeling of relief when you realize your bike is going to be OK.

11. 2006 Interceptor

2006 Interceptor New Member

Anyone know what ended up being the issue? My 2006 makes the EXACT same sound.

Thanks in advance.

12. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

Did ya try the valve below the tank?.. it activates only with 1st gear and releasing the clutch, is activated with the switch in the clutch lever
    [video=youtube;-r6E4ifofwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-r6E4ifofwI[/video]

13. 2006 Interceptor

Yauguru,
    Thanks for the reply. The sound is made when the bike is in neutral, clutch in or out. It makes the knocking/clicking sound when the throttle is activated just over idle (1400-1500 rpms).

Matt

14. 2006 Interceptor

I took the air box lid and air filter out last night (it was nasty anyway) and the noise was still present. It seemed to come from down in the cylinders and was clearly heard through the intake throttle bodies.

It's going in for a valve check anyway so I'll let you know what I find out...

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    It could be cam chain tension as mention above :confused:

16. Ilan navon

Ilan navon New Member

Map
    Hi my name is Ilan and it is my first time here.

i have got the same noise problem at my VFR 800 2002. as you describe the noise go away after i pull the clutch (or few seconds after).

i read somewhere that the noise come from the clutch basket .... can you explain that ?

thanks
    Ilan

17. 2006 Interceptor

No idea still. Service Mgr said, "don't worry about it" even though he couldn't diagnose it. I took the airbox completely off and it still does it. Screw it, it has almost 20k miles and has done it for as long as I can remember. I'm just going to ride...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  18. Scott Cooper

Scott Cooper New Member

Hi guys im new here but my 2008 VFR800 is making the same knocking noise at 1200 to 1250 rpm when i pull the clutch in it goes away but it only started happening when it got low on fuel i put more fuel in and now its poping and farting and when i take off the noises get louder and its like its about to stall i dont wanna start it again just incase it trys to detonate on me lol any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

19. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Scott welcome. You should introduce yourself and upload some pictures of your bike in the introduction forum.

Can you please provide some history on this bike? Mileage, ownership, any prior problems or maintenance that might be helpful?

20. Scott Cooper

Scott Cooper New Member

Sure ive had the bike for a year and a half its had only one other owner and was amaculate still is except the noise its got 60000kms on the clock and has powercommando in it aftermarket exhausts just started it and noise is worse idle is out of wack maintenance wise it had stator comp replaced but since then it was fine it has sat for a couple of months been started every 3 days but it got low on fuel started making the noise and its getting worse now i put fresh fuel in i use premium 98 always have other than that dont know this is my baby 12009832_895251047218884_5503200280726624481_n.jpg