opinions about trading my 01 vfr800 for 04 gsx-r same mileage

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by hollenbeck, Jan 3, 2013.

1. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

I got a 01 vfr800 with 13,000 miles on it, good condition.it has a zero gravity windscreen, power commander 2,jagged race mirror, black adjustable levers, led kit,I just ordered some smoke turn signals and tai light.before I put all this on and it was stock I was gonna sell it cause it's a little heavy and doesn't turn as quick as I'm use to,anyway a guy would come pick it up right now if I told him too,and I know a guy that has a 04 gsxr stock and same mileage as mine and he would take 3,000 for it right now,so I'm thinking of selling mine and buying that gsxr but idk,vfr's aren't popular where I live(greenville SC) so what do think? Opinions needed bad cause idk what to do,and what price you think I should charge other guy with those mod's?

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The vfr needs suspension changes to bring out the sporty side. Can't answer for you.

3. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Yah that is a tough question because it really depends on what you want. Seems like a reasonable price on the gixer if that is what you really want. Personally, I would only own one for a track bitch as this is what they do really well. My Ducati was no different really except that it sounded better.

I used to ride with a group in Wichita that loved their R1s and Gixers but they rarely went anywhere other than down town. I had to tour alone :(

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    If you think the Gixxer will make you happier then go for it. You are the one that will be riding the bike :rolleyes: Sorry can help you much.
    What I do is get one of each to serve for the purpose.......:potstir:

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    You're call, chiefy.

To say "VFRs aren't popular around here" means what? Damnit kid, be a leader, not a follower! :)

What are you accustomed to riding? You say the VFR doesn't turn in as quick. (Which i understand being that its a heavy bike). What kind of tires you got on there? Different tires can have a huge affect on your turn in response.

Its been said a hundreds times before - in the hands of a capable rider, the VFR will certainly hold its own. And at the end of a 400 mile day, you get to "cruise" home in comfort, while the other guys have aches and pains.

Agreed, the VFR is not a gixxer. Never will be without a lot of time and money either. But with some upgrades: suspension, exhaust, sprocket/chain, you can really wake her up some. If you idea of a good time is doing 140mph+ every time you go out, then yes, sell the VFR.

Keep in mind a lot of the "mods" you've done to your bike were personal mods. You might like the ZG and adjustable levers, but the next guy might not. So as for the value, its the 'ol whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If you're looking for a pure sportbike, the VFR is not going to be it IMO. What the VFR IS, is an all arounder, meaning it does a lot of things really well. With a little money put into it, suspension upgrades, Power Commander, good tires, she'll perform more sporty than in stock form. If all you want to do is take short trips through some twisty roads and then put her away for the night, then I think you might consider the GSXR. If you're like me, where I use it as a commuter, a long distance bike and the occasional canyon romps, then the VFR is probably a better fit.

I can say this, now that I have done the fore mentioned things, I really appreciate how she performs in the twisty stuff with her new legs and shoes. Even though I have a sport bike (Ducati 900SS) that I use strictly for fun/sport rides, I often find myself taking the VFR out instead, particularly if I know I'll be travelling through the city and or in traffic to get to my riding spot. Some rides we have covered more than 300 miles RT, and with little to no fatigue! Although I have done this on the Duc, I was also half my age now when I did it. Today however, I would probably save the long distance trips for the VFR, but even after saying that, the Duc isn't all that uncomfortable either, the VFR is just better all around.

7. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

I would give everything to have a ducati 900ss thats my dream bike! To be honestI haven't gave the vfr enough time on the road to judge it,dont get me wrong I love my vfr and I mean love her,I'm the only guy that has one where I live and me thinking about letting her go and get a gsxr is not cause of name it's cause the gsxr is a 04.

8. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

I'm sticking with the vfr,I just got done riding the gsxr and comparred them,yeah the gsxr is an 04 but mine holds better value.the gsxr does cut at turns smooth but I think my vfr will do the same after some mod's,I've been so focused on modifying the looks to where I want it.All I have left to do is a paitjob(650/w airbrush),new power commander 3usb(about 200 used),delkeciv slip-on(225).I think that's the main reason I didn't get the gsxr is because MY vfr is customized the way I want and within the month will look the way I want,and the gsxr even though newer year will be in the grave before my vfr will show signs of wear.VFR it is.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Wise choice Grasshopper! Get some new tires, and new valving/springs in the suspension and you'll love it even more. Even when I just put the Michelin PR2s on without suspension mods the bike felt much more nimble and stable than with the stock Dunlop Sportmax IIs. FYI the new PR3s are supposed to be even better for wet weather but about the same grip and wear as the PR2s.

As far as the 900SS, yeah it was my dream bike too when I bought it new in 95. I still love it and it will be a long time before I even consider selling it! Anytime I step off of either bike though, I'm usually grinning!

Cheers!

10. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I've smoked plenty of liter bikes in the twisty mountains on both my VFR's. It really depends on your skill level and how you ride it. Trust me when I say the VFR is plenty capable and you won't need a trip to the Chiropractor after riding it all day.

Rollin

11. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

One of these days I will owne both too :).If I would of got rid of my vfr It would of been like selling a piece of me cause i've put so much into her.

12. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

I'm not cocky but I know I'm a good enough rider to drag my knee all day,I just think I need to get use to the weight and throw some mod's in to drop it a lil bit.the main problem is the pc2 not mapped out right(taking off choppy)but i fixed that yesterday

13. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Skill level is everything.
    When I took my mostly stock 3rd gen to Reg Pridmores Star School, it blew them away. Not because it turned in fast or accellerated like an R1 but because it did things they didn't expect from a 16 year old sport touring bike with limited (very limited) ground clearance. I realized a level of personal satisfaction and pride in my riding of that bike than I could of on a new R6 or any modern sport bike. It made me a better rider and I loved it. Then I threw the tank bag on and went to Colorado for the weekend, LOL. Freaking awesome. It's like setting a lap record at the Nurburgring in a Volkswagen Rabbit. Well sort of but maybe with something a bit nicer looking.

Dude, you made the right choice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

So.... What did you do to correct that problem?

15. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Probably richened up the bottom end I would imagine but let's wait and see.....:tongue:

16. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

I called PC and finally got someone who knew something and he emailed me a couple of maps for my pc2 on my 01 vfr800

17. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    that's awesome. Now look under her skirt and see if you're still riding on that OEM shock.

then get you a used 929 off ebay for $40 + fabricate a new mount. Or call Jamie, drop a couple hundred bucks and get a completely refurbished ready to bolt on unit. $25 in new steering stem bearings (rollers are my preference), and $120 in new front springs. You'll be amazed on what a different bike it is.

18. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

when you say 929 do you mean cbr929 shocks? I found some race tech springs for 112(ebay),but whats the deal with the weight some are .85,.95,and 1.0 kg/mm? does it matter what weight i get? Also what will each of these things do? I can do mod's as far as looks go but I've never gotten into the performance part yet.I've only had my vfr a couple of months and before that a 92 katana 600 and that was a year ago,so it seams like i'm having to learn all over again,but vfrworld helps me,I can talk about my bike or bikes all day without getting that look i get from my girlfriend like will you shut up lol,thats another reason i kept my vfr cause i got ya'll and any bike that has a website of just owners is worth keeping.

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Call or email Jamie Daugherty at Daugherty Motorsports. Jamie is a member here on the forum and has done many upgrades for other forum members, myself included. You'll need to let him know how much you weight when your all geared up and what type of riding you'll be doing. So far I am very happy with what he provided me.

20. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I like 1.0kg as a 220lb rider.

Don't do front springs before doing the rear shock or you'll hurt the cornering more.