Phoenix - Napa Valley Coastal Loop Vacation/Ride

Discussion in 'USA - Southwest' started by Lazy in AZ, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    Eventually, one day… I plan to take a full 7 days off from my hectic and crazy work life – assuming that my lovely sweetheart will allow me to do so while she stays at home watching the children and handling the normal day-to-day stuff – and have a wicked cool getaway up the California coastline.

Just myself, my VFR, and a few very close friends on their bikes… slowly cruising up the PCH, crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, stopping in Napa Valley for some R&R (also happens to be the original home of my bike from ’86 – ’05), then cruise on up through the woods to Carson City and check out Lake Tahoe. After that, it’s a breeze down Highway 95 through Las Vegas on the way home.

I figure it’ll take me about 6 days to cover the mileage with stops. I’ve got a preliminary map started with the general routing, but it needs more planning for fuel & food stops, overnight locations, and POI’s. My VFR gets about 38 mpg right now with the new carb I put in, so I’ll be able to handle a 160 mile stretch per tank. We’ll adjust the stops based on the smallest tank/lowest mpg’s of course.

This might not happen for a while, as I’m figuring it’ll cost in the neighborhood of $1,000 per person to run the route as is ($225 for fuel, $250 for food, drinks & snacks, $300 for motels, and another $225 for just in case money).

If you’re interested and know of anyone else that might be as well, pass the word around and we’ll work on fine tuning the route and setting a tentative date. This no doubt will put us into inclement weather situations along the way, so be prepared to ride wet!

Below is the tentative map I came up with:
    Comments?

Concerns?

Questions?

Wanna Go?

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    If you pass by San Diego let me know. Will round up the troops and will show you and ur friends around

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

+1 on that!

4. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm in Napa, Lazy, so let me know if you want any info. and I'm glad to help.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and would like to join in when you hit the Valley.

Jose

5. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    I am planning a quick stop in Yuma to pick up a close friend who will be riding his HD, as well as a planned stopover in San Diego... Maybe even an overnighter before heading up the PCH.

Anyone is more than welcome to hook up along the way, even if it's only riding with us for a few hours. The 2nd reason for me planning this is to meet some of my fellow Viffer's on here.

DaHose, I'll PM you later about when we get up that way and what I'd like to do during that part of the trip.

I'm gonna need lots of help making this work, so if your along the route on the map and want to help out, we'll need pit stop locations for food & fuel, lodging pointers, etc. I don't want to set a date until 1) The majority of those planning to ride have the cash & can take a week of, and 2) the route is completely set up and we know the major stops along the way.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Depending on what day/time you get in the LA area, you might want to detour through some of the roads in Malibu. PCH and the 101 fwy are on either side of some great roads to experience! Maybe even get your photo taken while riding through 'The Snake'.

7. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    I am in Vegas. Depending on timing I may want to tag along for all or part of the trip. I usually try to do a CA trip once a year. Wheteher I go or not, you are welcome to stop in and crash. I don't have a lot of space.... One guest room with two beds and a sofa bed in the living room. Many a VFRWorld member has stayed with me on road trips.

A thought on route for the return... 95 is such a boring route. You might consider taking 395 down from Tahoe. Yes, it is still a bit straight, but it is much more scenic and enjoyable than 95. You can then cut over to 95 in Bishop and hit a stretch of twisties. That will take you to Beatty. Or keep south on 395 and cut through Death Valley. Depending on time of year, Death Valley is really cool. Badwater, Dante's Peak... If you choose to do that route and I'm not with you I can come out and meet you in LaPine or someplace along 395 and ride through Death Valley with you.

8. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    Depending on the timing, I might be able to ride along with you along the sacramento/Tahoe leg of the trip.

9. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    I'd like some more info on 'The Snake' if you wouldn't mind. I'm all for alternate routes, the only thing that the PCH has over most other roads is an ocean view, which you really can only enjoy heading South (which makes me wonder if maybe I should run the route in reverse?).

10. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    Thanks for the input, Chicky.

Again, I'm reconsidering running the route from Phoenix up through Vegas and on to Napa Valley that way with a return DOWN the PCH instead. I've been on the 395 several times in an 18 wheeler, and yes it's a beautiful run and much more interesting than 95 in Nevada.

THIS is why I posted this up here though, I knew there's a ton of ideas out there for a making it into a great run!

Was discussing it with my other half and she agreed that this will have to happen either Fall '13 or Spring '14 in order for me to be able to take a full week off from work without the boss getting pissed off about it. The other factor is if I can save up the cash over the Summer or if I have to wait for my next tax refund. This years refund is going towards fabricating a new custom 1-1 stainless exhaust system, a dry battery and replacing some of the small broken plastics.

11. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    Fall of any year beats Spring of any year... At least in Vegas and anywhere on the 15. It gets very windy with strong gusts in the Spring. Its doable, but be prepared to work against the wind if you do it in Spring. My two cents on the PCH are.... While it is very scenic it can also be full of tourists and therefore very slow moving. Ive always preferred travelling on roads through the hills and popping out occassionally to check out the ocean. In that area, if ai were you, I would stay on Mulholland where you will run into the Snake and can hit up the Rock Store. Jay Leno is often at the Rock Store and I got to meet him there in... 2004 I think? Also while up there hit some of the side roads if you have time. Deer Creek Rd. is pretty amazing. Technical but once at the top of the hill you can stop and look down over multiple levels of hills/mountains down to the ocean. Its breathtaking.

Up near Santa Cruz, I've always like taking the 9 through the hills... Then pickup 35/Skyline Drive where you can stop at Alice's a big biker hangout. Closer to Santa Cruz there is a town called Brookdale. You can stop in Brookdale Lodge which is an old historic place withthe restaurant built around a creek. I've never eaten there but its a fun place to stop... Lots of character. Anyway, the 35 will take you up near San Francisco.

I would recommend the PCH for the stretch that takes you by Big Sur and through Monterey. I sometimes hope for slower traffic in those areas so I can really take in the view and enjoy the scenery. Its beautifully rugged along that stretch.

Also, FYI, there is usually a guy taking pics along the snake. I can never remember his website but if you ask at the Rock Store I'm sure someone there knows it. You go to his site, lookup the date you were there and you can almost always see pics of yourself in the twisties. I've bought a couple from him. They are a little pricey but worth it.

I'm not an expert on any of these places, but those are some of my experiences and thoughts... Take em or leave em. :)

12. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    The guy who takes the videos goes by rnickeymouse. He has a bunch of vids on youtube.

Jose

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As Dahose said, there are videos by rnickymouse, there are also a few I have posted that showcase some of the roads in Malibu. That being said, 'The Snake' is a small section of road ( The Rock Store to Mulholland Hwy - Google Maps ) of Mulholland Highway ( Mulholland Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). There are a bunch of tributary roads, like Latigo Cyn. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNi5aoNLJ8 ) that take you from PCH to Mulholland and roads like Decker Cyn. that go all the way from the 101 Fwy to PCH. The 'Rock Store' ( The Rock Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) is a small stop along Mulholland just below 'The Snake' and is a very popular spot for Motorcyclist, and celebrities like Jay Leno and his plethora of bikes.

If that doesn't entice you, how about a one way road that takes you from the top of one of the mountains all the way to the beach... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhr-QiJ61_c I think it would be something worth checking out while you in California!

Cheers!

14. warpedrotor

warpedrotor New Member

Map
    I am interested in joining up for this ride.

15. ricko2

ricko2 New Member

United States
    Hit me up when you head up towards Tahoe. If timing works, I'll join ya for a few miles. If you want, I can point out some good side roads...