Installed Stainless Front Brake lines on My 91 VFR

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rockoracing, Jan 29, 2013.

1. rockoracing

rockoracing New Member

United States
    Map
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket bracket that takes the place of the OEM brackets at the fender. The lines are just resting up against the forks at the fender.

Thanks, ROCKY

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Until you find one, (not a clue where) Some careful placement and strapping using cable ties should do ya for awhile. A couple of layers of the black "Gorilla" tape will prevent chafing.

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    There is a "c" looking clamp that used to hold your old lines, simply zip-tie the two braided lines together and route it behind the original c clip thats on your lower tree. Mine have been like that for ova 20 years and many many miles :smile:

I upgrade to steel lines on what ever I ride, stopping well is satisfying. I usually think of Gorilla Snot regarding the cosmic 3M stuff...If you tack Gorilla on to anything it instantly becomes either tough, or gross...or both...

4. rockoracing

rockoracing New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the response. Been awhile since I've been on here, I'm enjoying catching up. I'v had the new brake lines laying around since 07', bought some double H pads last year. It's not my only bike in the heated garage but it's the only one I'll never sell.

5. rockoracing

rockoracing New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm talking just above the calipers at the fender level, or am I misunderstanding you?:biggrin:

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Each side (brake line) will go up on either side of the fender, (they are covered in protetive rubber usually) above the fender, you will see a metal c thing, its where the horn is mounted. Route them behind that c-thing with a zip tie. You could always look at the third Generation pictures on this site, they can help you out sometimes...

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    and my mom would never let me sell mine either :smile:

8. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

On my '03 I just use little nylon plastic P-clips to keep the steel braided brake lines from rubbing up against the fender.

Found them at the local hardware store. Cheap,simple,and they work perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Good solution Stosh.

I would put a light wrap of electrical tape under the clip just cause THAT'S HOW I ROLL YO!!!!:scooter:

Jose

10. white_335i

white_335i New Member

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but had to ask. What is the advantage of going with the steel braided lines on the VFR. I know that it reduces the flex while racing or at the track, but is there a advantage on street bikes? Thanks,

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Its like this: You go to Mickey Dees or some other crappy fast food restaurant to eat, and they give you that crappy plastic silver ware, you wolf your food down with it and dont think about it. Now imagine If you brought your fine china along with your silver flat-ware, and ate that same crappy meal, it would have become a better eating experience. Point is this: Its all about FEEL, when I grab a nice stock oem front brake lever and its got braided lines, you feel confident and its a more pleasant riding experience, not to mention a safer one. Another good thing is that when the stock oem lines get old, they can deteriote, they do this from the inside out! So, you dont see it, but you can feel the flex.

Was using a crappy tool yesterday and I was questioning myself, "wtf - am I doing, I got enough ratchets to go into biz?" it went into the dumpster and out came a better one.

12. Badbilly

United States
    There's also the cool factor. Some dudes are putting strings of those LEDs on thier braided lines and others are putting that sparkly shit in thier brake fluid.. ;)

Bottom line? The braided lines don't deform as much with increased hydraulic pressure , effecting a more tactile feel to braking.

The difference is more than noticeable. Best to keep this in mind for the first few times after the install. Stoppies in traffic are waaay uncool..

13. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    night and day difference :cool:

where can i buy those cool P-clips in carbon fibre ??

14. Badbilly

United States

Word has it they are available at the same site where ya get the carbon fibre cable ties.

15. rockoracing

rockoracing New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks stoshmonster, I remembered saving those same type of clamps from my old 98 superhawk. Just put them on, looks like a factory install.