gen 5 fuel filter

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by vin, Jan 30, 2013.

1. vin

vin New Member

Hi I'm the new owner to a 99 viffer and have a question about the fuel filter. I see it is replacable and wonder if you use the OEM or if there is a alternative, as in cheaper from NAPA, etc. And if anyone has plumbed it in outside the tank.

TIA, Vin

2. Shmerick

Shmerick New Member

United States
    Map
    Bump. wondering the same thing, got mine on the bench now.

3. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I have been told any fuel filter would work. But i think i would stick with oem on that one. I would be worried anything else may either letit flow to easily or not enough. It may not matter but i would like to be safe anyways.

4. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Do you need to replace it or are you just wanting to do some prevent maintenance? I'm still on my original '99 filter, 14+ years.

5. Shmerick

Shmerick New Member

United States
    Map
    I was experiencing stumbling and surging in 2nd and 3rd, city commuting, between 4500 and 6000 RPM. It was running like it was fuel restricted, or like it was missing on 1 or 2 cylinders. I can compare it to an old points driven ignition bike when the points got out of adjustment or corroded from wet weather. I pulled the pump and filter. Found some PO had dropped a farrghing coarse thread 8mm bolt into the tank and if the rust flakes in there were gold I'd have a fleet of VFR's in the paddock right now. I back flushed the filter with a gallon or two of gas and it ran red with rust. Re-installed old filter instead of a universal from parts store for same reasons taylor65 mentioned and as no factory replacement was readily available on a Sunday. I ran a pint of fuel injection cleaner mixed in with less than a gallon of fuel in the tank. Ran the bike at or above 6000 rpm as much as possible until about 10 miles after the fuel gauge started blinking then refilled with 93 octane. So far no repeat of problem with about 100 miles on clock.