3rd gen and 4th gen header

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by AznConquerer, Feb 8, 2013.

1. AznConquerer

AznConquerer New Member

im trying to replace my 3rd gen exhaust header down pipe....was wondering if a 4th gen exhaust header down pipe can fit without modding it in any other way?......

2. BRad704

BRad704 New Member

I have not compared side-by-side, but from what I understand... yes. The 4th gen pipe should fit as a direct replacement for the 3rd gen.

But please don't buy anything based on only my input. I'm sure SOMEone has done this in person before...

3. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    yes, a 4th gen header and down pipes will fit on a 3rd gen. I don't think there's any major mods to be done. The only thing is you lose the mounting points for the small lower metal fairing pieces. The 4th gen doesn't have the "expansion chamber" like the 3rd gen.

4. BRad704

BRad704 New Member

Mounting locations for the heat shields... good point, I hadnt thought of that.

My plan for my 3rd gen, is to cut off the collector and fab a new left exit midpipe. I guess ill be tacking on some extra brackets. But that is a project for' later'.

Sent from my handheld-sending-thing...

5. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map

Funny, I was planning the same thing. I have 2 spare headers for the gen 3. I was going to see if cutting off the end of the chamber and flipping it would work, still keep the mounting points, yet give me a left exit....

keep me updated on your progress.

6. BRad704

BRad704 New Member

Ooohhh... I hadn't thought about flipping part of the chamber, but something tells me that won't work. If you think about it from a rearview of the bike, the outlet would point UP and RIGHT... When you flip it, DOWN and LEFT. I think the amount of work to make that all fit, would be better spent on fabbing a whole new 2-to-1 pipe to exit on the left. That's my future plan.

You won't get much progress from me on that for a while though. :)

7. AznConquerer

AznConquerer New Member

is it ok to chop off the collector box and just replace it with a pipe of some sort???....

8. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map

yes, I thought about the down and left. it has to clear the swing arm anyway, so thought with some fudging, it wouldn't be bad. The other thought was to weld on a separate pipe onto the collector, similar to what AznConquerer said.

I'm slow on the progress too. All hobbies are pretty much on hold since Oct. Completely gutted my house and trying to rebuild it. running gas lines thru the house right now.

9. Evilcrayon

Evilcrayon New Member

Map
    In the past weekend, I was able to compare a stock 4th gen system, a 4th gen two brothers racing full system left hand low exit and a 3rd gen two brothers racing full system right hand low exit. They all look different but the full systems are all 4-2-1 systems with the 4th gen having the merges occurring very close together. There were no issues swapping the 4th gen to my 3rd gen and I don't forsee any problems putting the 3rd gen exhaust on the 4th gen vfr. I did have to remove my smog/charcoal canister but whatever.

10. ThickToast

ThickToast New Member

United States
    Map
    Very possible but will require some carb work in the tuning process.

IMAG0284.jpg