2007 VFR800 - Help with replacing brake/running and turn signal lights with LED.

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by swabian, Feb 28, 2013.

1. swabian

swabian New Member

I've searched many places, but I cannot find exactly what I'm looking for. All I want is to know the following:

1. Do the LED turn signal replacements for the 7440(?) handle the dual voltage for running and flashing? I would assume yes, but cannot find the answer.
    2. Will I or will I not need resistors for the turn signals and/or the brake/running lights?
    3. Can anyone suggest good, bright, and exact LEDs to replace the turn signal and brake/running lights with?
    Thank you in advance.

2. zedicus

zedicus New Member

3. HalifaxVFR

HalifaxVFR New Member

4. Radicalwillie

Radicalwillie New Member

5. zedicus

zedicus New Member

do NOT use those.

6. hwyrogue

hwyrogue New Member

Map
    OK - I am not usually one to resurrect threads, but this one requires it :)

I bought a LED Flasher Relay from Custom LED and a couple of LED bulbs from eBay. Both arrived and today I took the time to put it on (alongside some smoked signals). Unfortunately the relay did not work; hyperflash was ever present. I emailed Custom LED and am waiting for a response (they offer 1 year warranty and satisfaction guarantee), but as it stands, this relay did not work for me...

Depending on how they wish to proceed (exchange it, perhaps there is something wrong with this one or refund), I'll update; in the mean time, does anyone know of any other reputable sites that offer flasher relays to get rid of the hyperflash with LED bulbs?

7. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

The flasher is a simple timer circuit. The lights provide the resistance required to make it work. Led lights need only a couple mA to light up, but some replacement led bulb sets add extra resistance or design to a resistance required by the flasher they sell. Since signal flashers on the 07 is relaybased a led flasher is useless. Put your original one in and try it out. You may need to add some resistance to the circuit. Usually 3 to 8k ohms in series with each bulb. And no I do not know which since I dont have your bulb to test against. Add resistance until you get the flash rate you want.

A better question is why bother with led signals, I understand in the gauge cluster, but if you reduce the load on the r/r too much then you run the risk of over heating it. If you want brighter signals then add the led lights in parallel to the original bulb. This also give you a warning when a bulb fails, that side flashes quicker.

8. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    You sure you replaced the right flasher relay? The ones on the 6th gen is hidden behind the instrument cluster (can access by removing the black plastic cowl behind the windscreen) it should be marked "DOT" somewhere on the flasher. There are about 3-4 relays around there so hopefully you unplugged the right one.

9. judobrian

judobrian New Member

United States
    Map
  10. hwyrogue

hwyrogue New Member

Map
    Yep.. I double and triple checked... I didn't have this weekend to re-do, but I'll take front off one more time this coming w/e..