2003 w/ intermittent starting issues?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Rex Gunn, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Rex Gunn

Rex Gunn New Member

So I have combed the threads here and done some investigating but now I need to ask. Just acquired a 2003 abs model w/30,000. Guy I purchased from gave me maintenance records all the way back to new, also included paperwork for the r/r recall having been done. Additionally he had put in brand new battery prior to selling.
    I left the keys in ignition in off position overnight and the Fourth time I go to ride it she's dead, but push started just fine. So i stop leaving key in ignition now.Rode for about an hour and battery seemed to hold a charge because when shut off she would start just fine. Ride her for about another week three or four times and then same thing occurs.
    So I disconnect negative terminal and use test light to check for a draw and nothing, no light so I guess I'm good?
    Hasn't happened again (3 days) but still leaves a thought in the back of my mind.

Any guesses as to what may be happening? Or is it just gremlins in my starter?

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Dude - go out and buy a digital multimeter. They can be had near anywhere. Autoparts stores, Sears, Harbor Freight, Radio Shack.

Then go crack a beer and go thru this thread
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gene...how-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.html

After that, go to post #9 and do the tests, come back with the numbers. Untill you do that, We cant point you anywhere.

(jeez, did the planets align and command -all vfr charging system must crap out?) :confused:

:cool:

3. Rex Gunn

Rex Gunn New Member

Ok I will do that today. Thanks

4. white_335i

white_335i New Member

The planet gods are jealous on us because we ride VFR's...

5. Rex Gunn

Rex Gunn New Member

So my charging system seems to be working. 12.6 v sitting w/ key off. 12.4 v with key in on position. 12.75v when idling. And 13.3v at 5k RPM. So im still not sure why the battery dies occasionally?

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Output is on the low side.
    1. Crack your stator to R/R plug and inspect. Take a photo if your not sure.
    2. Do the stator tests as described in post #9 ---- Total of 9 readings.

7. Rex Gunn

Rex Gunn New Member

Everything looks good (like brand new) and I stuck battery on charger overnight. According to electrosport fault finding guide my numbers are good so we will see. If it happens again I might have to get battery load tested again. All connections are tight.