Where is a good place to buy a PCIII with a pre-loaded map?...

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by CRFan1, Apr 1, 2013.

1. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Think I am gonna spring for a PCIII for my 2000 VFR and I was wondering where you guys would recommend getting one from...preferably with a pre-loaded map to start out with....

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I bought my PCV from Motorcycle Super Store when they had a sale on them, that and my 20% off coupon saved me some $. If you buy it from any authorized dealer, it should come with a "stock" map for the make/model you are buying it for but Dyno Jet has downloadable maps for misc configurations. You might check the classified section on the forum, you may get lucky and find one someone is selling for cheap.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Try wheels in motion in Chatsworth. They will beat pretty much any price...tell Danny...Roy sent ya.Just bought a PCV And some Leo Vince

4. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys!

5. DCS

DCS New Member

Map
    The seat-of-the-pants dyno is a dangerous thing.

If you clean your bike and change the oil, it will feel nimbler and quicker and smoother, even though it's not.

Slap a power commander on, and it will definitely feel better. No matter what. You get the picture.

No two VFR's will have the same optimal map. It just doesn't work that way.

Years ago, on a hayabusa forum, some tuner guy published some tests with before and after dyno runs for several bikes, showing that most bikes lose power when you run a PC with a stock map. It shook a lot of people up, because he was a known and respected guy.

If you go with a PC, the best bet is to take it in to a dyno and get it mapped for real. Then you will damn sure notice a difference. :D

Another really good approach is install a bosch 02 sensor in the collector and a Halmeter on the dash and road-tune it. I did this on a hayabusa. One must be careful when glancing at the meter at various upper end throttle positions. The busa was even more tricky because the ram air actually started to work above 140 or so. How you do it: wrap masking tape around the throttle. Make an index mark at zero TP. Plug a laptop into the PC. Make index marks on the masking tape at all the TPpositions on the map. Put the laptop in a tank bag, and go ride. After 4 minutes on the road, the o2 sensor will heat up and the halmeter will stabilize. Start taking note of any throttle position/speed or /gear combos where the halmeter bobbles off of "slightly richer than stoichometric". It takes a day or so, a few hours a day, but it's fun an dinteresting and when you're done, you have a perfect map for your bike. It will be super smooth at low speeds instead of jerky because of erratic fueling at tiny throttle positions. You can get max hwy economy, and a properly fueled bike at max speed.

After 4 yrs on my busa, a tuner guy saw my setup in Phoenix (vacation). He wanted to check it out, so I went to his dyno shop. He only made 2 changes to my whole map, and they were slightly higher fuel number at max speed. I think I eventually changed them back. Why believe his static dyno impressions when my ram-air bike indicated too rich at max speed?

Anyway - good luck!

6. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    DCA...yeah I am fully aware that the best option for a PCIII would be a dyno tune and I would go that route if I get one. :) Thanks for the info. What you did to tune your bike is crazy, hehe :)