ECU Unleashed Flash. Anyone interested?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by crazybrother, Apr 4, 2013.

1. crazybrother

crazybrother New Member

Well if anyone has been following my quest to get the ECU flashed, then you know what I've been talking about. Here is the latest email from ECU unleashed...

Hello George,
    My apologies, I have been in contact with several of the members of the VFR message board and I thought I had included you. The VFR community seems to be filled with some very passionate owners. At this time we are able to do the flash on the VFR1200 with the conventional transmission and are in the process of finding and ECU for the DCT version of the bike. I still don't have a dyno chart for the bike, but we are able to produce a flash for you. If there is enough interest we would love to offer the VFR community a group buy opportunity. We would need at least 5 ECU's to quality but we would offer a reduced rate. Please let us know if you would be interested,
    Thanks,
    -ECUnleashed Staff

Let me know if anyone else is interested and we could get in on this one together.
    Here is the link to the original post.

Has Anyone Tried This Yet? Ecu Unleashed - Seventh Generation VFR's - VFR Discussion

2. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

If it was half the price, I'd consider it. For under $300, a z-bomb and a juice box will accomplish mostly the same stuff without voiding my warranty. And I can change the map on the juice box at will. I can also remove and resell them if I so desire when it's time for something else. Too expensive, and too permanent IMO.

3. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I've got the DCT and would be interested, seems to be the only option to remove the restriction for us. My biggest concern is being bikeless, finialy made it through along winter and plan to start riding daily tomorrow.

Few questions:
    1) turn around time?
    2) discounted price?
    3) possible to purchase a flashed ECU? Keeping stock as well, I still have warrenty until December. Or is it a lot more $$$$

Might make more sense for me to do it next winter depending on above. Thanks for doing the homework, please keep us in the loop.

4. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    Sure would be nice to have an option that was tailored to the DCT, VERY disappointed Bazazz and others haven't stepped up and helped us, go ECUnleashed! Same questions as Robclo. I travel for a couple of weeks at a time for business, could they turn my ECU around in a short timeframe, poor time of year to sideline the VFR!

5. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Your gear indicator will be screwed for 1-3. ECUnleashed won't have this issue. They optimize timing, a/f, and remove factory restrictions. I hope some of you step up so I can get this done.

6. crazybrother

crazybrother New Member

So far I have one other member from VFRD and one here, that means we only need two more for the group discount. They did say, that they would work on the DCT ECU but they need one to work with. So far no one is willing to part with their ECU for the R & D... Maybe someone will come forward...

7. lshark

lshark New Member

maybe they (ECUnleashed) should buy an few ECU's ($894.23) and use one for their R&D and then set up an exchange program.....for a company that wants to charge $500 for their service, i'll be damned if i'm going to lend them the equiptment they need to operate their biz...i don't miss the gear position indicator that much

8. Dangerous Dave

+1. I rode without one for almost 30 years. I think I can still manage. And again, Z-bomb and juice box won't void my 3 year warranty.

9. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    " (ECUnleashed) should buy an few ECU's ($894.23) and use one for their R&D and then set up an exchange program"

Ishark makes sense, seems like an investment of at least one ECU to get things figured out should be pretty standard. If this does do for the DCT what has been said above, Unleached will be the only fix, I'm not sure how many have been sold but if half the DCT owners would like to enjoy an unrestricted and optimized engine an ECU would be a small investment.
    This thought may be out there, coming from a rider only, not a wrencher. Shounldn't we be able to buy/download the flash/upgrade, and with the use of an adapter do the update. Or even have the company get into our laptop to do it over the Internet? Or is taking the cerebral cortex out of your bike and sending it though our trusted postal service normal stuff? I'm just not feeling warm and fuzzy.

10. Dangerous Dave

I do ECM reflashes at work all the time. But you have to have an appropriate interface and software to communicate with the vehicle ECM. Honda has it, you don't. Your bike doesn't have a USB port you can just plug your laptop into and send a reflash. And yes, sending ECMs through the mail has been around for a very long time.

11. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks Dave, you've put my mind at ease. If you guy's feel this is a reputable company and they can remove the restictions & optimize the engine my only hesitation is the turn around time, I've been waiting over 4 months to ride daily and next week will be our first double digit temps. I'm willing to commit, through a down payment if that will help accomplish a discounted group rate. I plan on keeping this bike and would prefer to wait for a convenient time to have it done.

Edit: I have the DCT

12. crazybrother

crazybrother New Member

Thanks guy's I'm waiting on a return email from ECU Unleashed for the details on the group buy. They do not have a Tune file for the DCT yet, they need a donor ECU first. Maybe one of you guy's would be willing and maybe get it done for free. I don't know yet but will post up as soon as I hear from them.

13. Dangerous Dave

That's how companies often do it in the aftermarket world. You get the first one for free for being their test mule. So yes, might be a golden opportunity for someone with another bike to ride whilst their VFR is down. Although I would think for something like this, they'd want a whole bike they could put on a dyno. Hard to imagine they could build a good map without actually trying it on a running bike.

14. Volfy

Volfy New Member

...which is why I don't see how they can accomodate owners with different aftermarket exaust without first having a donor bike with each of the configs for dyno runs.

The only thing I can see the reflash would be great for is the 1st-2nd gear restriction removal, without messing up the Gear Position Indicator. I would be willing to pay for ONLY that... but not $500.

15. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

That is the full price charge, not the group buy. Man............

16. lshark

lshark New Member

how much would Honda charge to do this if it was available...do you think $500 is a fair price...how much does it cost when you do one at work??? (i know u work on cars but just to compare)

17. Dangerous Dave

A reflash typically costs about a hundred bucks out the door if it's not a warranty issue, and most of the time is spent waiting for it to finish. I'm certain in this case you're paying for their R&D more so than the reflash, since they're a performance company and not the vehicle manufacturer.

18. crazybrother

crazybrother New Member

Alright guy's, here's the latest email from ECU Unleashed.

Hello George, (That's me):crazy:
    Excellent, let me give you some more details. As of right now we are only able to do the standard transmission and NOT the DCT. We need to get a donor ECU to develop the communication protocols, we are working on locating one of these. Yes, standard pricing is $499, with the group buy we will be offering the reflash for $449, including return domestic shipping.

(1) Please log on and complete one of our online TUNE FILE ORDER FORMS. Password is tuning101
    This will supply us with all of the info we need to get you the PERFECT Tune File. Also it will allow you to inform us of any modifications that have been done to the bike so that we can accommodate for those on the Tune File. All info is *required to be filled in. In the comments section please us the coupon code "hemmingway50" to receive the discount. This discount code will be valid through 4/19. Once we have received all of the ECU's we will send each customer an ETA of return time. We normally do bulk orders for Honda's at the 1st and 15th, however we will do a separate bulk order for your forum. This means you will get them back before normally scheduled however we will need all of the ECU's in house before we can start flashing them.

(2) Please complete our Credit Card Form so we have a payment method.
    Let me know if you or any of the forum members have any questions, please also let them know they are free to email us at info@ecunleashed.com

Thanks,
    Michael Adams

Looks like we get $50.00 off but we all need to send them in at the same time...

Come on. Let's get this done!

19. lshark

lshark New Member

good luck getting them there all together....sounds like a long turn around, an all winter project

20. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Why would it be a long turnaround? Mail them in when they do bulk and it's done very quick. Should have it back within a week.

The misinformation :chaingun: