Passenger Comfort

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Guest, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

First time poster. My wife and I are in the market for a new sport tourer. The VFR is on our short list. My only concern is passenger comfort (want to keep the wife happy!). If we do go with the VFR the seat will be replaced and a passenger back rest will be installed (probably Corbin). We usually ride around 250 miles per day.

For those of you who ride two up, do you hear any complaints from the back seat? Too cramped, too leaned forward, too much wind noise/buffetting, etc. etc.?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. jcm

jcm New Member

Passenger comfort on all stock sport bikes sucks. The VFR is better than most, but that's not saying much. The seat slides the passenger forward and the hand grips get uncomfortable quickly. Get something with a good pocket and a backrest. For yourself look at Gen-mar risers or Heli-bars unless your rides will be short or on the highway. I'm still on stock bars and ready to change. I will say the stockers are great over 60 mph when the air flow unweights your wrists. And the leg room for your passenger is reasonable. For longer touring I'd like to find a much taller screen. You will also appreciate the quiet exhaust for all day riding, even if everyone around you is riding aftermarket exhausts. Have fun, Jeff McQueen

3. floorguy724

floorguy724 New Member

Before I bought my VFR, I was in the same boat as you as far as passenger comfort. Since having the bike and going 2-up, have'nt had any big complaints from the GF about the stock seat, but then again our rides are usually 200-300 miles. If you plan on going further than that I would look into getting an aftermarket seat of some kind (corbin, sargent,etc.), as far as the backrest goes, if you and your wife are going to doing a lot of sport touring I would consider a rear top case with a back pad as an alternative. You can probably find a OEM Givi or something for right around the same price. I was also planning on getting a Corbin seat and backrest for the GF but opted to get the OEM top case instead. Haven't recieved the top case but I'll let you know how it goes. Just my long $0.02 ;D

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the feedback! I've been doing a lot of research and it seems that everybody feels the passenger accomodations are good for a sport-tourer. Floorguy, if you and your GF are doing 200-300 mile days on the stock seat that says a lot. I have also thought about going the top case route. That would open the door for a Sargent seat (can't find a backrest on their site for the new VFR's). I've been reading more and more complaints about Corbin so I would like to stay away from them if possible.

JCM, thanks for the advice on the risers and taller wind screen. We will be going to the Cycle World show next month to check out all of the new hardware. We pretty much have it narrowed down to either the VFR or Ducati's new ST3. My wife has a Monster and I love it's handling and "soul". But I've been a Honda man since day one so I'm leaning in the VFR's direction. Nobody makes a more reliable bike than Honda. Also don't have to worry about parts availability or finding a dealership while out on the road.

Ride Safe,
    Brian