Water Pump Oil Leak and Gear Shifter Adjustment

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by SamCro, May 6, 2013.

1. SamCro

SamCro New Member

Hey Guys, hope you guys can help shed some light on 2 questions I have regarding issues on my 2001 VFR800...

Firstly is an oil leak from the water pump...only when bike is at operating temp and riding it. It's not serious, but I would like it sorted. So I ordered and o'ring from my local Honda dealer and changed it the past weekend. When I got the water pump off I noticed an oil seal between the pumps' impeller shaft and the body of the water pump...the part of the pumps' body that slides into the hole in the crankcase where the pump gets its drive from. Why doesn't the parts fiche at Honda show the oil seal, but only the o'ring??? I've also noticed that the oil is coming out of a hole at the bottom of the water pump...hole is located at the bottom of the pump body which goes into the hole in the crankcase.

Secondly is an issue with my gear shifter. It feels to me if it sits too close to the foot peg. I struggle to get my foot underneath to shift up. I tried to adjust it, either up or down, but I can't find a happy medium. If I adjust it so that it's fine for up-shifts then I need to lift my foot off the foot peg to shift down. If I adjust it so that it's fine for down-shifts then I need to over extend my ankle to get my foot underneath for up-shifts...so much that it's actually uncomfortable! The only logical explanation is that it's, somehow, too close to the foot peg. I measured a 2005 CBR1000 distance between the foot peg and shifter and compared it to my bikes distance. My gear shifter is about half an inch closer to the foot peg...I know it's not the same bikes, but still!!! And keep in mind that this is with wearing sneakers...haven't even tried with my Sidi Vortice boots, because I just wouldn't be able to shift at all!!! I'm at the point where I'm thinking of cutting the lever and getting it welded up so that it's shorter. I've owned a Blackbird and '05 GSXR1000 before the VFR800 and never had issues with shifting! PLEASE HELP!!!

Take Care guys and ride safe!