Great lakes trip. Would love some suggestions

Discussion in 'USA - North' started by slowbird, May 6, 2013.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I've been pondering a trip around the great lakes for awhile now.

I have figured out a basic route and I am just fine tuning it.

I'm down for twisty roads (as long as the tarmac is in decent shape) but I'm also down for the scenic stuff.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions, ideas, and some answers to my questions along the way.

I'll be entering Michigan through the Sarnia border, and then I was thinking about heading North on the M-25 following the coast.

For those who are familiar with the area. Is this just an unneccesary detour? On google street view it looks very un-impresive and unscenic. Not to mention straight and boring.

From there I was gonna make my way to I-97 so I could ride the M-119 which I heard was nice.
    M-119 (Michigan highway) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Definitely do the M119 tunnel of trees...awesome stretch of road! Also, do not stay in Traverse City...way to damn crowded and expensive, hehe. I did this trip last summer and it was nice but I would go to the northern UP and go along Lake superior and come down if I did it again. Also, I went up through Michigan and went counterclockwise....it would have been cool to get around to the Wisconsin side and take the ferry back across to Michigan thus avoiding Milwaukee and Chicago.

3. Shmerick

Shmerick New Member

United States
    Map
    119 is B E A utiful. +1 on Traverse City - Avoid if possible. Consider adding M-22 to the trip, also quite lovely and generally quiet. I hear amazing things about the UP. When are you going? I'll be up that way after Labor Day, prob sans VFR tho.

4. crakerjac

crakerjac New Member

How far west are you planning on going? The Trans-Canada Highway between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie is AWESOME! I took this route when heading to Niagara falls in the cage a few years back. It's now on my bucket list to do on the bike.

5. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks For all the info everyone. I was either planning to go at the end of this month or at the end of June.

1st day I was going to stay in Mackinaw I guess somewhere....maybe somewhere in the UP?

I was gonna do my best to hug the lakes. My 2nd day I was gonna head to some bakery that is run by Monks (Near Calumet, MI......then stay somewhere near Dultuh.

6. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
  7. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
  8. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    These are motorcycle routes from Moto-Maps, something I picked up from Areostitch. No first hand feed back though. Have a great trip.

9. czakky

czakky New Member

210 in MN south of duluth is a must!!

10. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
  11. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I did the North Shore of Lake Superior last year from Duluth to the border and back to Duluth. Split Rock lighthouse is a must see. Many great towns and sights. Stop at Aerostitch in Duluth. Duluth has a great maritime museum. You can take a tour on a US Steel ore carrier. A tour of an old whale back Great Lakes freighter. They have a real good railroad museum and much more.

On the south shore in the Michigan UP see Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and go to copper harbor on the tip of the keewanaw peninsula. Make sure you stop at Whitefish Pointe and see the lighthouse and the "Edmund Fitzgerald shipwreck Museum"

How much time do you have? There is plenty to do. The UP and northern WI have some of the best Forrest roads anywhere. Watch out for Bambi!

oh....I forgot.....The picture of the locomotive in my avatar was taken last summer at one of the ore loading towns just east of Duluth on the north shore.

12. Milepig

Milepig New Member

United States
    210 between Gary New Duluth and Carlton is closed due to washouts. May possibly be open in Oct or Nov 2013. It is indeed a great little stretch of road and I'm missing it big time!

13. Milepig

Milepig New Member

United States
    At Ashland head north on 13 towards Bayfield and just continue on 13 back to 2 near Superior. You'll be rewarded with some great scenery of the lake.

14. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Just thought I would add a few pictures Split Rock Lighthouse.jpg Sunrise Port of Duluth.jpg

15. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Slowbird if you decide to go thru Chicago I can provide a tour and safe passage through town. I might even show you where to get Pizza, Chicago Style Hot Dogs and Italian Beef!

16. Milepig

Milepig New Member

United States
    ...and if you get to Duluth give me a shout out, perhaps I'd be able to ride with you a stretch.

17. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Wow! Lots of great info and siggestions!

That is very much appreciated. Thank you!

I never ended up doing my "Great lakes" trip as there was a bit of a Cold Front and we even had a tad bit of snow up here in the beginning of May. Weather was horrid and I didn't end up going.
    Good thing to cause I found a little oil leak on the bike that needed fixing.

Anyways, I definitley still have this trip in mind. Lots of great ideas and I'll repost in here closer to the date.