Upgrading to a 1200 VFR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by emon07, May 8, 2013.

1. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am looking at a 2010 VFR and may trade my 05 VFR. The reviews I have read have been positive and the only gripe I have seen mentioned is the tank size. I am interested in any advice on needed mods. The bike looks fine stock.

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
  3. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I checked the one year later review, and also checked a recent post about problems with stalling and cutting off. Also read of promblems with 1 st and 2nd gear restriction. I am looking to get away from the VTEC VFR and the 1200 VFR seems to have some issues also. Getting skeptical and the link below does not help.

I hate the 2010 Honda VFR - YouTube

4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Wouldn't worry about that link " Uploaded on Oct 27, 2009 " Quote " OMG it looks Horrifying " sounds a little of a over reaction as I don't mind its looks and close inspection indicates good build quality.

Besides the small tank size think the seat shape for distance is the only complaint I've heard off and Upgrading the rear shock is also a good idea but thats true of any Gen VFR. Take one for a test ride and see if you like it. Re Tank size if you ride with Sport bikes than that wont ba an issue went for a 2 day ride with buddy on his new S1000rr HP4 and his Reserve light usually started Flashing around 115 to 120 miles without even riding hard.

5. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Do some research on the 2012. From what I understand, the issues with the 2010 have been resolved. If I was buying one, it would be a 2012.

6. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I really like all about it with the exception of 1st and escpecialy 2nd gear restrictions. Sounds like there's ways to get around it though.

7. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

Don't worry about Bill. He was over reacting a bit, and he even mentions that in the comments. That was even before the bike came out and before Youtube reviewers started raving about it. Besides he was talking about looks and not performance.

For what it's worth... I love the looks of the damn thing. I can't wait to get one a few years down the line.

8. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Not really. Most new bikes are factory restricted in one way or the other. The VFR is no different. The current CBR1000RR is restricted from the factory, so is my '09 R1, so is the latest Kawi ZX10R. Easily remedied with the Bazzaz product on the VFR1200. I'm not aware about any reliability issues with the VFR1200.

9. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am not comfortable with some of the issues with the 2010 VFR. The VFR is getting as bad as owning a Harley. After you buy the VFR you have to finish building it. I checked the 2012 VFR at the Dealership and it was Blue. I HATE BLUE BIKES! Honda does not want the VFR to be successful. They keep sabatoging their own product. I am checking a 2013 Yamaha FJR at the same dealership. If I get the FJR I will not need to finish building the bike and resolving manufacturer issues. I still love the VFR but Yamaha has a great bike you can buy and ride without spending more money to resolve the bike's issues.

10. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

The bazazz product is all that is needed. Have you seen what it cost? It's extremely inexpensive.

Have you even ridden one or are just reading bs?

11. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    It is nice the Bazazz is not expensive, but it is not a flawless resolution. Now my bike thinks it is in third grear when I am in 1st or 2nd gear. Sorry, I am not happy with that and should not have to buy anything to resolve a design flaw.

12. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Emon, IMO you should buy the FJR. It's a really good bike, and the way you sound, if you were to buy the VFR it would be like going into a marriage and needing counseling before you've even said your vows. You will miss that beautiful V4 exhaust though.:smile:
    John

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    The FJR is a nice bike. Have you considered the Kawasaki Concours?

14. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Well i agree with you there on the gear indicator. This is why I'm going to have my ECU flashed instead of using the Bazazz product. But the only (and the most reputable) co. flashing the ECU for the VFR is ECUnleashed and it's not cheap.

Having read your comments I would understand if you would be paying full retail for the VFR. You can get one, whether a 2010 or 2012 model, for about $9999 or $11k out the door w/taxes and fees. I paid $9999 for my '10 early this year and at that price, I could easily live or fix the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions and not complain about it. At full retail, I wouldn't even consider the bike with or without restrictions. From what I gather, the 2012 doesn't have the 1st/2nd gear restrictions, has a better seat, and can be had for $11k otd.

YMMV.

15. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

What engine configuration is the FJR? I know the Concourse is an inline 4, and that= B-O-R-I-N-G. V4's have character and soul.....and personality.

16. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

FJR is inline 4 as well.

17. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I took test rides on a 2012 Kawi ZX14, a 2013 Yamaha FJR, and a 2007 BMW K1300S. All of the bikes are great but they are big bulky bikes (duh they are Tourers). Neither bike would be good for me to use as a daily ride/weekend canyon chaser. The ZX14 is fast, but does require a little effort to flick it into turns. The ZX14 is a big long bike - not great for city traffic but very stable at low parking lot speeds. Not too sure about all the electronic controls on new generation sportbikes - maybe I am showing signs of my age. The FJR is an big and wide supersport bike. The FJR really moves and corners well, but it is kind heavy and not great for whitelining. I was really disappointed by the BMW K1300S. It is a nice bike but the suspension is kinda soft and the VFR corners better for me and seems faster. Bottom line nothing works for me like a VFR - I have a test ride scheduled on a 2013 Black VFR. Not sure if I can afford the 2013 VFR - may have to wait till end of year.

18. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Plenty of leftover model years sitting at stealers for massive discounts. With all that $ you'll save you'll have some green for farkling to get it 100% how you like.

19. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Appreciate ya Cornerexit, but the 2010 and 2011 have issues that can be overcome but not totally resolved IMHO. I really do not like blue at all and would never sit on or ride a blue motorcycle. The Black 2013 VFR is the best choice for me. I wish I could go for one of the leftovers

20. gski02

gski02 New Member

Hey's my 3 cents.

I have an 06 FJR. Love it, but...it's, how do you say... a big bike.

She handles incredible in the twisties, extremely smooth and has, to put it bluntly, grunt. I've got a PCIII on mine and suffice to say triple digits are very very quickly hit and you don't even know it.

It's very smooth even in the "oh shit" breaking situations, just sits and stays put. It's plain comfortable. It's just a big, bike. You see that when you are moving her around and sometimes in traffic. You actually wouldn't believe the handling on it, especially for a big bike.

It's not a VFR. I have an 06 VFR that I just got a month ago. I missed my little bike, the quick ride bike. My Nighthawk 750.
    The VFR is my new little bike. It handles better than the FJR, but, it's a lot smaller than the FJR.

The VFR is quick and has guts, it's not the FJR, but it's a tad bit smaller.

If you want sport touring, go with the FJR or Concours. The Concours is supposed to be even smoother than the FJR and I find that hard to believe.

Would I go to the VRF 1200? Not now. Get rid of my FJR? Maybe for another FJR or Concours. They are 2 different bikes, from one who has both. It really depends on what you are looking for.

My 3 cents.

g