Vibrating footpegs...SOLVED!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Valentino Robbie, May 10, 2013.

1. Valentino Robbie

Valentino Robbie New Member

At last! Plagued with a massively vibrating left footpeg since I bought the bike a year ago.
    Only occured around 7000 rpm, I kept looking at anything that might be loose or worn.
    Nothing helped.
    Looked all over the net and loads of people say the same thing. 7000 rpm left footpeg vibrate.
    Decided I have had enough. So I took some old inner tube (good for padding things out) and took apart the footrest. Shocked. How much empty space inside the rubber. Yeah ok it had worn a bit, but still Honda! So I cut the inner tube into small strips and padded any space I could find.
    Was a pig trying to screw it all together (used a bit too much).
    Now the vibrations have gone!!! Only the faintest bit at 7000 rpm still.

May be a small trivial thing for people. But it was driving me nuts!

So, always keep a bit of inner tube handy!

2. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Freekin sweet, good R&D sir, I shall have to stuff some extra rubba in my pegs too and see how it does, thanks!!

3. Valentino Robbie

Hope it works for ya!
    I looked into everything that can cause it. The only thing I haven't checked is valve clearances. That can wait til I have some dosh to throw at it.
    For the time being I'm just going to have to say that it must be a generic issue with these bikes and love my freebie mods.

Let me know if it makes a difference for you.

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've felt the same the thing. It's often a case of too lean condition. I installed a PCII with someone else's map and that helped. Unfortunately I did not dyno it first or after (seems no one will tune a II anymore) so it's all assumptions. But the high frequency vibration is the same as my carb'd 3rd gen when jetted to 5000ft above sea level and then ridden lean AT sea level.

That vibration was extremely annoying and exhausting on a long road trip across the open plains as 7k in top gear was exactly the speed I liked.

5. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Good tip Tink. I don't really think mine is that severe or abnormal. I only noticed it after I installed the Vibrinators and the bars are now so smooth I can feel the pegs, I think they were even before.

6. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I have exactly the same issue and I was just looking at the footpeg today and thinking I wonder could I put rubber mounts around it to stop the vibration,left peg is the worst but there is a vibe in the right one too.
    Going to get the starter valves synched and get the valves checked,like yourself when I can afford it,
    the footpeg looks a bit complex to take apart,I'll have a go anyway, wrap some old rubber tubing around it where I can and see if it makes a diference, thanks for posting.

7. Valentino Robbie

Easy peezy. Two little bolts underneath and then it all the rubber comes off. You don't have to take the footpeg off at all. BUT...a while ago I did take the peg off and where the spring is to pull the peg down again to keep it in place, I put a couple of thin washers inside to keep a really tight fit. Pain in the back side to get back in but I am now nearly vibration freee!!!

Hope it all helps! Is lovely having this bike, but at least it doesn't vibrate anywhere near some Harley's I know!

Just thought I'd add this too
    http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pie...-13MBGW41-VFR800FIY-2000-F__2300-VFR+800.html

The actual rubber of the peg, number 13, is hollow. I stuffed it full of strips of inner tube.
    Number 38, was worn and thin, so wrapped a strip of inner tube round that too.
    All that was left was small spaces which I also happily stuffed.

Too much stuffing makes screwing hard though ;)

8. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map

Thanks Robbie, yeah it was taking the footpeg off and that spring that I thought might be tricky,the actual rubber footrest is easy,I think removing the peg and fitting heavy rubber washers in where it mounts will help. should be rubber mounted anyway.
    Harleys have gone rubber mounted to cut down vibes on a lot of fittings far as I know.
    synching the starter valves is easy enough,think I see the vacuum lines at the sides of the air box.not sure where the adjusters are though,waiting on a hanyes manual to come.
    keep the rubber side down.

9. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I have been reading that a tight spot in the chain can cause these vibrations too,and can cause a lot of damage to the transmission bearing,so first thing I'm doing is going to slacken the chain a bit.
    Does anyone know the part number for the oem front sprocket?

I took the peg apart and tried fitting some rubber tubing between the rubber footrest ant the metal,to be honest I was glad to get it to fit back together as it was before I started, that little metal plate that the bottom fixing screws attach to wouldn't stay in place, so it took a bit of fiddling to get it back together.
    anyway I took the peg off completely and fitted four thin high density plastic washers in where the footpeg attaches to the bike so I'll have a spin later and if it makes any difference.
    I also checked the chain and its not too tight.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  10. Valentino Robbie

Had exactly the same vibrations from mine with an old chain, and after new chain and sprockets fitted. Tried it tight and loose and with different weights on the back.

Not sure about the front sprocket. I got a JT one as heard they oem. Honda front sprocket had some sort of vinyl or plastic disk on the sides to supposedly stop noise (doesn't stop vibrations though!). That doesn't bother me at all due to the fact I can't hear anything over my exhaust ;)

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  11. Bowidog

Bowidog New Member

Aha! The 'left footpeg vibrating' thing, probably explains why I found this on my left footpeg and not my right. Took it apart and it looks like it was done by a professional or from the factory. Any comments or opinion welcome.

Attached Files:

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    :pirate::tiger:perhaps a after market foot pegs would fix the problem! Maybe over time they simply get loose.

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

Germany
    Map
    Looks like someone added some mass to the foot peg to change the resonance point. Things will resonate at a given frequency (vibration).

14. Bowidog

Bowidog New Member

Well they did a pretty good job because I've owned this bike for 18 months, cleaned it a thousand times and never noticed it until yesterday.

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    That left foot peg weight is factory. --- I added one to the right for grins...

16. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    What's behind that pivot cap, item 25? And how does the left main step holder, #14, mount to the frame--it doesn't show but one fastener, #22. Is there a rubber bushing or spacer that floats the holder.

One clue might be to remove that weight, step lower plate #37, and see how the vibration frequency or amplitude seems to change, gets better or worse.

7000 rpm is about 120 Hz, if it were in the chain then it would seem to be speed related not engine rpm.

17. Stubbsy

Stubbsy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Top man!!! Done mine other day works a treat.

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I will have to check out my front pegs-great tip-good idea.