Made my own rear hub spanner

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Surlycamera, May 22, 2013.

1. Surlycamera

Surlycamera New Member

United States
    Map
    My bike didn't come with any tools. After reading all the info on the rear hub adjusting tool on the boards here I decided to make my own. Well, I had some help. We have a giant laser cutter at work. I measured the eccentric adjuster and made a sketch, then drew the part in CAD. I sent the CAD file to the sheet metal guys and they cut one out for me from 8ga. 304 s.s. 8ga. is pretty close to 4mm.
    [​IMG]

The piece at the top is so I can double the thickness of the 17mm hex on the handle. 304 is fairly soft and I figured doubling the thickness would help keep it's shape intact. I only plan on using the hex for roadside use but seemed like a handy way to go. So I just sawed the little tab off and I'll weld it on when I get a minute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm surprised at how well the two teeth fit in the eccentric.

[​IMG]

Yes, the bike is filthy. I spent about two hours tonight cleaning it and I'm not even close to done.

So I absolutely cannot make you a wrench. My employer is cool about us making parts for our own use but we can't make things to sell on our own. But, I can share the drawing of it if someone has access to a laser, waterjet, wire EDM, etc... When I get a minute I can post the drawing and if you want the .dxf file send me a PM and I can email it. (If I can PM yet.) I don't have the drawing here now or I would just put it in this post.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Very nice! I like the integrated wrench. Too bad you couldn't make more and sell them.

3. 91talon

91talon New Member

Agreed! That is a pretty sweet idea you came up with.

I may know of someone with a waterjet... I may ask him if he could do soemthing like this, and how much it would cost. Biggest factor would probably be material.

4. Surlycamera

Surlycamera New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks!
    I have an old spanner from a replacement pit bike shock and it had three hex cutouts in the handle. I don't think they were to use as wrenches, just to lighten it but that's where I got the idea. That and someone here had one with a ratchet welded to the end.
    [​IMG]

Here is a jpg of the print. It says sheet 1 of 2...there's only one.

5. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Very neat, you could sell those, much better than the POS that Honda provided. I use my Nitron shock preload tool to do mine as its much better at the job than the Honda part !

6. Guj

Guj New Member

Reasons like that are why I'm bummed that I no longer work in a shop with a 5kW laser and two 300amp plasma tables...

7. 91talon

91talon New Member

I received the file, thanks. :)

I'm going to talk to the guy I know and see if he might be able to make a few of them, or possibly a group buy.

8. NormK

NormK New Member

The CB Supersport boys 1979/1982 have members scattered around the world making the odd bits an pieces that are no longer available from Honda and these aftermarket parts are far superior to the original parts because you can see how/why the part fails so they make a better part. Seems to be working well for them. Nobody is making big bucks just happy to keep the old bikes going

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Nice Job, love seeing creative people doing bike related things...:thumbsup:

10. Surlycamera

Surlycamera New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks all! I just used the tool and it works great. The only thing I'd change is I would rotate the hex a little because you can get in a situation where it wont move. Like how an open end wrench is canted to one side. I won't be changing mine but if someone makes it from my print...rotate that thing maybe 15 deg.

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Next, someone will bitch because it weighs too much.. or it's not the right color..or the one Uncle Earl made from an old leaf spring was better.

12. socalnative

socalnative New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the drawing Surly!
    I can draw it up and wedm & waterjet cut it easy enough.
    I'll take your advise and rotate the hex about 15 deg. I'll let you know how that works!
    Thanks for taking the time to draw it up!

13. 91talon

91talon New Member

I still haven't heard back from my guy, so...
    Maybe there is a shop that can do this, for at least a limited run.

14. Surlycamera

Surlycamera New Member

United States
    Map
    I got the PM's. Haven't ignored anyone, just been busy. I did reply.

15. 91talon

91talon New Member

This may sound like a stupid question, but if not 304, then what material would you suggest?

16. Surlycamera

Surlycamera New Member

United States
    Map
    As long as it's about 4mm wide just about any steel will work fine for years.
    It's always a tradeoff. 304 gives you corrosion resistance and it's weldable. But it's soft. 303 is more corrosion resistant, but softer and doesn't weld as easy. If you go with a 400 series ss like 416 you can harden it some but it will rust. (It will also warp if you have it hardened.) Plain carbon steels are good but also will rust. Of course, you can paint or powder coat or coat with some Johnson's paste wax to keep it from rusting.
    There's nothing wrong with 304 it's just that if you were using 304 for a hex wrench on a regular basis you will wind up deforming it. That's what the extra little piece is for; to add some structural integrity. As far as the spanner part...for it's use you'll never wear it out with 304.
    I chose 304 because it's 99% of the material we laser cut and a pretty good compromise.
    The one that comes with the toolkit is probably something like 1010 and zinc plated. 1010 is super soft. It's cheap to stamp and works fine for the average guy who adjusts his chain once or twice a lifetime. Oh wait, that's just the guy I bought my bike from.
    So if you have a choice of materials and money is not an option...416 stainless or 1045 carbon steel.
    What's going to be available in sheets at a waterjet co? 1018...1020...304... all fine.

17. 91talon

91talon New Member

Thanks. I'm talking to a manufacturing facility now about a possible small run of about 20 pieces. We'll see what kind of price they shoot me, and I will let you guys know.

18. Surlycamera

Surlycamera New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys, I got a couple requests for the dxf file of the spanner. You'll need to include an email address in your PM. I can't attach it in a PM. At least that I know of. If someone knows a way I can just post it let me know.
    Been up to my ears lately with work and house repair so I apologize if anyone has been waiting.

Oh, and if anyone makes one let me know how it works. Post a pic.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  19. mtg125

mtg125 New Member

United States
    Map
    did anyone ever make these to sell? or if not which spanner do you recommend to buy? just tried to adjust my chain and thats an aggravating ordeal with the cheap piece o crap honda puts in the tool kit.

20. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

I just use the Nitron Shock C spanner, its perfect for the job.