Scottoiler - I'm a HUGE fan

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Hogan Longfellow, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Hogan Longfellow

Hogan Longfellow New Member

Hey guys! Wanted to post this up and see if anyone finds it useful....

I picked up a Scottoiler a week ago - it's a great tool for the bike. For those that don't know a Scottoiler is an automatic chain oiler that is operated from the vacuum on the right rear carb.

It took me about an hour to install it top to bottom, I'm very particular so I kept moving it until I got it where I wanted it (some call it OCD, I call it attention to detail lol).

Anyway it works perfectly. It keeps the chain clean and lubed - and it does what it says. I'm still having to wipe down the chain after each ride b/c they say for the first 500-1000 miles it'll force out all of the gunk that has been building up over the years. After it gets all that gunk out of there they say it's smooth sailing....nothing but refilling the reservoir and RIDING!

The other claim is you can get up to 50k miles from a chain....I've only had it on for about 300 mile so I can't speak to that yet - but the chain is clearly well-lubed and it looks great. It was a little pricey ($120 shipped) but I'm extremely happy overall.

I have some pics in my gallery, check 'em out!!

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I had one on my third gen and liked it. If I get another, it'll be the digital one that oils based on distance traveled instead of while your sitting there idling in traffic.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

Are they suitable for "O"ring chains and if so what oil do you use?

4. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I used to use ATF fluid in mine.

5. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    i use a toothbrush to lube the chain using SAE 90-140 wt gear oil. i have 26k miles on one o-ring chain and it looks like it will go 50. Can the Scott use high viscosity oils such as this? --it don't taste so good when i brush my tooth.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    A clean chain wears the sprockets less, but the majority of chain wear is internal with pins and rollers, so no external help will prolong the standard rule-of-thumb 20-25K mile chain replacement regimen.

7. Hogan Longfellow

Hogan Longfellow New Member

it came with a bottle of lube, I'll prob just keep using that

8. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    The theory people claim is that a warm chain will take in lube. That's why they say to lube your chain right after your ride instead of before the ride. I've not seen any proof and not sure i believe it but doesn't sound totally impossible.

What I do believe; worn sprockets increase the stress on the pins and rollers you mention (why you're supposed to replace as a set), so minimizing sprocket wear can only help prolong chain life. Double? Maybe not that much.

But if you hate chain maintenance as much as I do, then who cares if it's 10miles or 20k

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Unless some bright rider with a degree in something relevant to this discussion pops up.............

Who's gonna convince me that scott oil sneaks under or around the border area around the O-rings to constantly relube the chain innards and prolong useful life ??

Seems like if O-rings were 100% OK no external lube would penetrate inside; and if rings had gone bad, chain can't be saved, as any water penetration will rust pins to death quickly.

10. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I'm not certified nor degreed on this subject, but here's my take on it.

The reason automatic chain oilers prolong chain life is because they keep the O-rings clean, preventing them from deteriorating and allowing the interior grease escaping. They prolong sprocket life by keeping them clean AND lubed.

The down sides are the expense of a system, and the mess created by excess oil cast off. Good systems can be adjusted to prevent most of the cast off, but they can be pricey...

Sent from taptalk with spell check and political correctness disabled

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I agree, wazup, that's a good theory. Probably scott oilers got started way back b4 O-ring chains, so they really worked a treat on standard, non-O-ring type of chains, which need alot of lube, got a good results and the reputation carried forward, whether it actually benefits modern chains much or not. Legends die hard.

12. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Spent 40 minutes flossing my chain Saturday. Said f'it and ordered the digital oiler today.

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Agreed, if the o-rings are doing their jobs, no grease, oil, lubricant will get past the side plates. Period end of story, I believe a well adjusted, well greased chain is quieter and smoother running than a rusty piece of shite though. Biggest killer of chains is mis-adjustment (too tight.) Nuff of my two-cents

Side bar-I am not a gold person but do go for them GOLD CHAINS on my bikes

Hi Ice-Hunchin :wave:

14. vulgar1

vulgar1 New Member

United States
    I've had a Pro-Oiler installed on my '03 for a couple of months and I love it! I haven't had it long enough to comment on longevity of the chain, but the system is very easy to setup and use. Plus now I don't have to clean my chain! When I pull into a hotel for the night after a long ride I don't have to clean or lube my chain. I love it. I also live in the PNW and ride in a lot of rain so it's nice to be able to just turn up the oil level and not worry.

The only thing that you have to deal with is increased mess since it is a total lose system. There will be oil splatter on the rear wheel and swing arm. Once you get the system dialed in it isn't so bad, but still it can be an issue for some. I would do it again in a heart beat. I got a unit from someone that purchased one but never installed it and then sold the bike for a shaft drive. Got a pretty decent discount. I went with the Pro-oiler over the scott oiler since the PO adjusts oil flow for speed.

15. Valentino Robbie

Valentino Robbie New Member

My VFR came with one when I bought it. The first time I used a Scotoiler. Won't be the last, I think it's amazing! Takes a few days to get it right, but I drilled a hole in my toe guard and put a bolt through it. Now with everything there you can't even see the nibs.

The company is really good if you need to order the odd part from them too.

16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
  17. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I use a Hawke Oiler, which is a manual type oiler. You push a button when you want some oil on the chain. It works well with heavy gear lube and keeps the chain lubed up pretty good.

I think I agree with Squirrelman that it's more "it worked before and it works now" type of thinking. Now I think that it does more to keep the chain clean, and help cushion the shock of chain/sprocket pickup. Back before O-ring chains some bikes came with a completely enclosed drive chain, and it ran in an oil bath. Those things lasted a very long time, 30,000 miles or more, when a normal chain was toast in less than 10,000 miles even when lubed religiously. They were really fugly though.

18. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm hoping Squirrelman will check out this video. http://youtu.be/Vc4tP8kmAX0

It shows an o-ring chain construction and how only half of the chain is sealed, the rollers are not. Rollers need to be lubed internally or else the tooth pitch (spacing) will increase.

I'm guessing chain manufacturers don't internally lube and seal the rollers simply because they need to rotate freely.

I do see how lubing the o-rings is a good thing and can reduce friction and increase o-ring life.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether you need lube between the rollers and sprocket teeth. Maybe it reduces sprocket wear? I'm not sure.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  19. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Oh yeah, anywhere there is metal-to-metal contact there should be lube, even if just a little bit.