Strange Fuel Gauge / Voltage issue

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bronconut, Jul 30, 2013.

1. bronconut

bronconut New Member

If this has already been covered just shoot me the link, I looked and found Regulator / rectifier issues but not this odd issue.

1996 VFR570F 25K+ miles:
    I have recently had the 24Kmile Voltage regulator crash. I replaced the Reg/Rect with a Accel brand and then replaced the battery with a higher CCA AGM battery. I noticed that when riding that the fuel gauge level sill climb as my speed increases. This seems to only happen when on the throttle and no clutch engagement. If I an rolling down the road and holding a speed, pull in the clutch the it drops to the expected level. I run the RMP's up with the clutch in and the gauge does not move. I have tried to find a long hill and with clutch in and RMP's at idle let the bike increase speed and this does not seem to cause the issue either.

Anybody know if there is a voltage regulator in the instrument cluster that might be allowing this action? anyone got any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Shane

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Loose or corroded ground connection ? Clean the connection under the tank that goes to gauge. No other voltage reg.

3. bronconut

bronconut New Member

Thanks I will give that a try and see what happens.

Shane

4. esco105

esco105 New Member

Bronconut, did you ever find out what the problem was? Im having the same exact issue.