Huge VFR price drops (Australia)!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by azi, Aug 30, 2013.

1. azi

azi New Member

From Motorcycle Trader, September issue:

"Pricing of the standard and DCT VFR1200F have dropped to $15390 and $15890... The standard VFR1200F was introduced in early 2010 at $24990."

"...and the VFR800X Crossrunner, which has dropped from $15090 to $10190."

And most interesting... "Pricing of...the VFR800 sports tourer has remained unchanged at $14050."

Wow, if I were in the market for a new bike right now I'd seriously consider the 1200 at the revised price, but the Crossrunner price is very appealing!

The regular VFR800 must be experiencing steady demand in comparison to the other models though. Personally I haven't seen a single 1200 out in the wild, and only one Crossrunner.

2. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map
    Yeah I spotted the price for Crossrunner in the listings in a bike mag & thought it was a type O. Interestingly (or not) the Crossrunner was a couple of hundred bucks dearer than the VFR when it 1st came out.
    Wouldn't you be a pissed off little boy scout if you paid top whack, ($5000 is a O/S holiday) especially if you where trying to sell the bugger. It's an interesting bike & I probably would have considered same if it was around at time, considering how cactus my back is with its upright riding position. The 1200 certainly would have been on my radar at that price. More than happy with the 800 though :biggrin:

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Those big price drops, rather add to the reasons why its sensible to hold off buying a recently launched model.

For a few years, manufacturers will presumably seek to levy a scarcity premium on a new model. If you want the latest - you pay top dollar (and end up being the guinea pig who finds all the faults!). Down the line, as demand levels out, manufacturers have to bring prices into line with any genuine rivals pricing or face a dramatic slump in sales. With luck most of the identified flaws will also be ironed out on models coming off the production line a few years later.

I guess the appreciation in the Aussie dollar against the Yen will have made those big price drops rather more palatable in Japan.

SkiMad