Tail swap project: 90-93 VFR750 tail swap to 03-04 CBR600RR

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by sc33, Aug 27, 2006.

1. sc33

sc33 New Member

I was asked by another member to maybe write something up about my tail swap so here it is:
    I bought a 93 VFr750 about two months ago. I got it pretty cheap because it had been laid down and needed some work. It was missing all of the front fairings and had the street fighter look, so I decided to stay with it. Iwanted to change the tail on it so that people wouldnt even recognize the bike when I pulled up at the shows. I went with a tail piece from a 03 CBr600RR. It fit pretty well when I pulled off the old one, but I had to do some chopping on the subframe. This include cutting the mounting points off from the old fairing, nothing to serious structually though. The fairing ran a little long, but the longer that I looked at it the better I liked it. Soem people have told me that it needs to go up in the back put, with the seat cowl the Im making it should look pretty good.
    This is an ongoing process and I hope to have it done before winter so I can finish the front and paint for next year. I'm hoping to wrap the subframe in some sort of carbon fiber tape, if anyone has any ideas of where I could get some thick tape, not film (that didnt work too well) send me a message. Also give me some feedback on what you guys think of it. Hopefully this gives some one out there some inspiration, thats all you need to start a project like this. I didnt want to do it till winter because I couldnt stand to not ride for a couple weeks, but after long nights after work it was all worth it.

sc33