Question about Fast Idle Wax unit

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by signal, Sep 28, 2013.

1. signal

signal Definitely Not New Member

United States
    I live in South florida, so its always say 78 at the coolest, and more likely 80-90's.

I don't think I have ever seen my 2003 VFR800 have a fast idle. It has one type of idle, thats it. I have it set at 1250 or so, and thats it.

Shouldn't the bike "fast idle" when I first start it, regardless of the ambient temperature? And then once the "wax" expands, then the idle is brought to normal idle?

Unless the ambient temperature is hot enough to actually keep the wax in its expanded state.......but I don't know, does anyone know?

My thought was that it required heat from the coolant, which would only flow once the bike's t-stat opened. But i don't know much about this, and the service manual doesn't go into great depth to explain it either.

I have also read many times these wax units fail, or they nut on them need to be tightened, or there is an airlock in the coolant hoses attached to the wax unit, etc. So just trying to see if the fact I have only one type of idle in south florida is an issue.

2. Erik2007

Erik2007 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a 2007 in Palm Beach Co. and do notice a fast idle when temps are say 60* or below. But normal S. Florida temps of 80* + or - its hard to tell any difference.

3. signal

United States
    Erik,

Thanks for letting me know. My fast idle wax unit looks like it has been replaced.......not surprising since there were some problems with some of these. So I don't have the "white" paint on my adjuster screw, I wonder if they put it in the right spot. I suppose on a cold day, say 60, I could adjust it so it just engages.......

We should sync up sometime I live in Royal Palm

4. Vfryellow

Vfryellow New Member

Map
    is this part on the 07s as well? my bike does not idle for crap when cold. when hot it is right on the money. does any one have a pic of this part?

5. signal

United States
    Yes it is on the 07's. Basically its on your throttle body, just under your airbox. There is a wax unit that expands/contracts based on the temperature. Its heated by coolant. The expansion/contraction moves a rod, which is connected to the starter valves which controls idle. So when its cold your idle should be higher, then as the wax heats up the rod is moved, and the idle is adjusted. I have read many failures on the forums of this part. I believe mine failed at one time, because you should have white paint on your adjuster screw, as its factory set. However, its possible that the screw could need adjusting or the unit is failed, or its even possible no coolant is getting to the unit because it has airlock (read a few posts on that happening as well).

6. Vfryellow

Vfryellow New Member

Map
    I ordered a new one for my bike, should be here on Tuesday. then i will install and see if that fixes my lack of a high idle when cold. i will post up some pics and the results when done with repair.