Removing linked brakes?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Fantastic!, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Fantastic!

Fantastic! New Member

I tried searching couldn't find anything. Is it possible? How difficult is it?

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Yes. Check out member "Mellodude's" link below. However, unless you are putting on new forks, I advise against it. People think that delinking the brakes will turn them into Valentino Rossi or something, and later have their hopes severly diminished. I actually have grown to like the linking braking system and how it works. Main down side is complexity, and rebleeding after a full drain. Ugh....

http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanic...ad-s-delinking-brake-saga-interceptor-ss.html

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ^^ +100

Not a good idea, but i'm curious why you'd think it is ????

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Like my linked brakes. It's impressive engineering and works well.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I can't imagine why you would want to do that. The only advantage of not having them is to be able to trail brake more effectively in turns and if that is your biggest concern you probably picked the wrong bike for your needs.

Rollin

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Apart from the bleeding process, I have no issue with them. Even then the only part of the bleed process that you can call an "issue" is getting to the rear brake pedal and front secondary master cylinder simultaneously when performing the bleed process solo. Having both a 5 Gen and 6 Gen with them, I've come to get used to them. Although the 6 Gen feels a bit more "refined" when using the rear pedal only. I originally thought about removing them on the 5 Gen because I was going to put on a different set of forks on, but decided to go with modified fork internals from Jamie Daugherty and leave the brakes as-is. Didn't seem worth it to me.

7. Fantastic!

Fantastic! New Member

Oh I like the linked brakes fine but for upper level track days I might want to remove it and was just looking for info to either discourage or encourage me to do so. It doesn't look difficult so it will probably be done.

8. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

I think the linked brakes make trail braking easier. When I jam on the pedal it leaves my right hand free to more accurately Rev match downshifting through the gears. When I mob around on another bike I find it harder to manage entry speed due to the lack of response from the rear. I end up using the front for rapid braking with sloppier Rev matching.

9. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    As said earlier, upper level track days is not the VFR. Buy a track bike. The fastest guys I know say the linked brakes do automatically what it took years to master manually anyway.

10. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Go for it, I did supliment to the Mellow Dudes delink saga. My brakes have gone from average (regardless what others say) to brilliant.
    Now has Superhawk/Firestom fork lowers, CBR929 calipers & CBR600F4 brake master cylinder up front + new discs, as they were needed !
    The brakes are now as good as the latest CBR600RR's which I have used on track, very happy. I hardly ever use the rear brake, but its there when I need it.

My rear is now all VFR400/RC45, but you can remove all the front to rear stuff from the bike & the central piston brake line & remove the piston from the caliper or just push it back & then use what remains as a normal rear brake, with only one brake line.

Do it. Anyone that says that the VFR brakes are good, has NOT ridden anything newer IMO. First time I did a track ride on the CBR600RR then went out on the 5th gen the next day, I nearly flew into a bend (or off the road), due to LACK of braking !!!

The VFR bis mnore than capable of keeping up in the fast group on a trackday, better brakes would hepl, but the best tyres & a competent rider would make more of a difference. Go for it, there's more sport in these bikes than most people give them credit for :)

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Replacing the stock lines with steel will make a huge difference in the feel. There's about 16' of rubber line in the linked system which contributes to the soft feel. Ripping the rubber lined stock system off and replacing it with a delinked system that only has 6' of steel lines isn't an apples to apples comparison.

12. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Agreed, but I had a full SS hose kit one mine before I delinked. That change with fresh fluid made a difference, say 20% better performance, but you really had to use the rear brake pedal for maximum effect. After 30 years of riding bikes with seperate brake circuits & rarely using the rear brake except when necassary, it is not easy to get used to using the rear as a matter of course, especially as I ride toes on pegs all the time, so my right foot is NOT positioned to use the rear pedal.

Now I can use the front as I always have & the performance is excellent, it feels like a 50% improvement over the SS system and that's just using the front brake !
    Yout mileage may vary.

13. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I read on the interwebz that if you de-link the brakes and add Slick 50 you gain over 15 horsepower. Shhhhhhhh....

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    But a simple delink isn't the same as what you did to your bike.

15. Fantastic!

Fantastic! New Member

I love my VFR so much that if I bought a separate track bike it would just be another VFR. This bike fits me too well.

16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Different bike for a different purpose. I'd have 6 bikes in my garage if I could. You going to put off road suspension and knobby tires on your vfr too if you ever want to run a forest service road?

I've watched countless people come and go here who put piles of time and money into a vfr for the track and eventually come to realize it just doesn't suit the purpose. I've made the same mistakes with my DR650 and should have just bought a kTM if I'd had a lick of sense.

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

That's exactly what I did. I bought the 5 Gen just for sport riding and hopefully soon, track days!

18. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Beers and grins to the peanut gallery on to delink or not. But if I would grab another 5th/6th, I would still do it in a heart beat. Living with my current 5th gen bike for the 6 or 7 seasons with the RC51 calipers and master cylinder has been a pleasure, and feels instinctive to me.

- Really the quick conversion on a 6th gen is to either grab F4i lowers fork tube and add to the stock 6th upper tubes, (heck, ship to Jamie if you dont want to mess with it.) or just find a full set of F4i forks. The stock F4i calipers and master cylinder goes strait on. And same to RC51 gear. (SP-2) The stock wheel works fine with this set up.

The rear is just change to a 14mm mc and bridge the pistons together or I think I remember the calculation that a 1/2 inch mc would be fine with just the 2 outer pistons on the rear caliper.

Its not really that hard, just a bit of work. Probly the hardest part is finding the parts.

-- lots of guys have gone way farther with USD fork solutions, but that's another thread.

19. PWH

PWH New Member

United States
    No one ever really answered YOUR question... Just chimed in expressing why they wouldn't do it...

Yes it's possible. It's not hard, especially if you do a fork conversion. Two birds with one stone here. No need for new master's.. People pay good money for a larger bore Brembo just for the extra power. Keep what you got.

It's MOST difficult if you try to retain the stock fork lowers and brakes.. I'm selling my de-linked bike and trying to put the stock front end back on... which is how I came across this thread. It seems no one else has any solutions other than replacing the fork lowers.

The largest issue is the clutch side caliper which is hinged and mounts to the fork via another master cylinder... I was hoping someone had created some sort of hard mount connecting the two, or created a bracket or something, and was looking around on here to find it..

Does anyone have solutions other than replacing the fork lowers?

20. Fantastic!

Fantastic! New Member

I suspect you would have to fab something up.