2014 VFR, Yamaha Raider, or 2014 FJR 1300ES

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by emon07, Oct 12, 2013.

1. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am a true VFR lover and I am getting ready to retire soon. I will have more time to do more touring and rallies on a bike. I love my VFR and I am in the process of working on a deal to trade - my current 2005 VFR for a 2008 ABS VFR. I am also planning to sell my 2004 R1, my 2003 Yamaha 600R and ole yella 2k VFR. i was originally thinking about getting a new VFR or a Yamaha Raider. Today I saw and read about the new 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES, and I am loving that bike. Interested in opinions on the new 2014 FJR. I am a computer engineer and I like gadgets and gadgety stuff. My VFR is my daily and local (Tri-State) ride, but for distance riding/Two up touring, and rallies I was considering the 2013/2014 VFR or Yamaha Raider, but the Yamaha FJR 1300ES has gotten my attention. Interested in any opinions of the 2014 FJR 1300ES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlfR4TQEGTU

fjr.jpg

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    The FJR is beautiful but it not a vfour and no single swing arm :sad:
    The FJR wheel bases is longer perfect for touring. Since you selling most of your bike why not get both :potstir:

3. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    My plan is to have and keep the 2008 ABS VFR for local/tri-state riding as my daily ride and the Yamaha FJR 1300ES would be for two riding and touring.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I thought you also like the vfr 1200 :wink: I do like the FJR go for it you got my blessing :pope2:

5. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

I'd certainly have no hesitation in recommending the FJR for long distance touring but have you considered a VFR1200? - It has a better motor and you can pick one up for thousands of dollars less than a new FJR. With what you save, you can completely deck it out for touring.

6. truewheel

truewheel New Member

Well, since it seems US is not getting the 8th Gen next year at least, and the Raider is a cruiser, the FJR seems the logical choice. Never ridden one but that pic you posted sure looks good.

Have you considered the Triumph Trophy? All the reviews I've read rave about it as a two up tourer, and it comes with plenty of fruit as standard. Not sure how the price compares in the US to the FJR; more expensive I'd guess.

I know I know, yet again someone has derailed a choice thread by suggesting another option...

Edit: had a quick looky - FJR approx $17,000; Trumpy approx $19,000. US$. We fantasize about prices that low in Aus.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Moto-Guzzi Norge or Kawasaki Concours? Harley Fat Boy for short tours to the harleydood shop and back. ;)

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    My FJR is on my list of favorite bikes and can ride ALL day with no problems but is by no stretch of the imagination as much fun as my VFR. Both is a great combo.

9. jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest New Member

Having owned a Raider I can tell you flat out, great bike for short hops. Not a touring bike no matter how you outfit it. Yamaha Stratoliner deluxe ok, but not a Raider. I only kept it 1500 miles before selling it. I rarely used it. I much preferred my Ninja 1000. Almost as tour worthy as an FJR at 130lbs less. FJR is a great 2 up mile muncher though. Depends on your purpose. I am not a fan of highway riding.

10. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    You can't go wrong with a FJR.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hard to go wrong there with the FJR as you described your riding needs. unfortunately the 014 vfr IMO is not a 2 up machine for longer than a fuel tanks ride. I believe that wa the biggest reason why Honda came out with the 1200 as they did. in that The FJR is the winner. That said hell man I agree keep the Y2K and get a FJR.

12. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Ride them both, is my advice... If you're seriously looking to pile on some miles, I'd bet the FJR is the better tool for the job, even if it's missing some of the character.