2nd generation engine/transmission noise/feeling

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by radicaledward, Oct 18, 2013.

1. radicaledward

radicaledward New Member

United States
    Hi guys, I'm a noob whose first bike is a 1986 v fr 750 about 3 months ago. When I first got it, it was running great without a hitch. I dropped it once at a very low speed (while trying to do a U turn) onto the clutch side, which required me to replace the clutch lever. The clutch was always a bit loose feeling to me, and now it seems a bit more so. A couple times I lost clutch pressure while riding, but it came back after I pulled over to the side and restarted it. I did a clutch bleed and replaced the fluid and it seems to be working at baseline. The more concerning problem is that over the last 2 months, I've started hearing this engine noise/jerk while I'm riding. It goes "chuck.......chuck.....chuck", with the frequency correlating to my speed. If i'm in first and accelerating slowly, it's slow and will pick up when I accelerate. At high speeds I can't really hear/feel it, presumably because the "chuck" is occurring too fast. I did an oil change, didn't find any pieces of metal or anything in there, so hopefully whatever it is isn't destroying the engine. But I still want to try and fix whatever this is...Any thoughts? I tried recording the sound by I have poor recording on my phone, it doesn't record the noise over the general engine noise.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Check your chain for wear, kinked links, rust, missing O-rings.

3. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    chain too tight? Squirrel knows motorsickle chains and you need to lube that thang.

4. radicaledward

radicaledward New Member

United States
    Hey guys - thanks for the suggestions. I did lube it up and it did seem to help. A few more details - the clutch does not engage/disengage very cleanly. Sometimes, I feel a lot of resistance in the gear shifter, other times I don't. When I shift into 1st, I get a bit of rattling/jerkiness that I don't get with other gear changes. I have ordered a clutch master cylinder rebuild kit, just in case. As far as inspecting the chain itself, I don't see any obvious signs of breakdown, everything is intact; however I will go ahead and get a new chain since the previous owner did mention it might be about time to do that. As for tightness, I'd say there is about an inch of vertical slack. I'm concerned that there might be a clutch / shifter issue. I was considering just investing some money into having some mechanics inspecting the engine,clutch,transmission a bit and tightening/fixing anything that needs to be fixed. I know that might cost in the hundreds, but I'm committed to the bike. Also, since it's been dropped there are a lot of cosmetic issues and I'm having trouble finding anybody selling farings for this bike. The links in the sticky from 2006 are outdated. What are people doing nowadays? Does anybody do custom fabrications?