Recommended shops in CO and some advice

Discussion in 'USA - Mountain' started by hondaguy80112, Oct 26, 2013.

1. hondaguy80112

hondaguy80112 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on a reliable shop to bring my bike and not get my head chopped off. I just bought my first VFR(2008) from a private party and the guy seemed to be on the up and up. After I bought the bike I brought it to Fay Myers they told me I needed about $700 of immediate work done on the bike, this included a new chain and sprocket, Oil change, rear breaks, the guy at the shop also warned me that I was coming up on my 16,000 mile service which is another $900 and that the bike needs tires another $380. Oh and to add a cherry on top of everything else I am noticing a wobble in the steering, I am hoping this is just the tires but I've also read about a bearing problem in some VFR's? Thanks for letting me vent and any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Typical analysis from a big dealer. The service guy probably figured all that out in about 35 seconds without using a calculator. A ten spot says that $1600.00 quote was for labor only...

Tires and all that goes with that at dealer prices will add another few hundred pesos.

Hook up with some other riders there in your area for more area specific info.

There is no way that dude could really know if your valvetrain needed work without some empirical testing.

Dealers hire IT guys and ad agencies to promote themselves, lawyers to protect themselves, service dudes who for the most part are there to jack up whatever really needs done to how much they can get you for.

This dealers whole site smacks of hired guns making everything they do about as great as the second coming of Elvis.

We will now hear once again from those who work for dealerships that never ever cross my heart and hope to die that this never happens in their shop.

If ya wanna really see how these outfits operate, check out the "reviews".

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    There is no bearing problem on the 6th gen.

Fay usually gets good reviews if I'm not mistaken but I've never been there. You can try a smaller outfit like Epic off I25 in Fredrick/Longmont area. For more good local info, try www.cosportbikeclub.org

Welcome to the forum, hope we see more of ya.

How about some pics if that bike?

:worthless:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. Badbilly

United States
    The "reviews" by Google are on the outfits website. Others are on Google itself. Even one from the BBB.. where ya can buy upgrades.. LOL The reviews are not that good and one implied that this dealershop is now owned by a automobile dealership which says something about how things are done.

Another clue is checking out the bathrooms for KY jelly dispensers .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I was referring to reviews by the locals on cosportbikeclub.org forum

Sorry for the lack of clarity

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the madness and congratulation on your new to you ride. Perhaps Tink can work on your bike :rolleyes:

7. Badbilly

United States

No sweat...just trying to keep this new dude out of t
    that Rocky Mountain shark tank. Since you've never been there you may never go there now..;)

8. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    This is my advice. If it's out of warranty don't take it to a dealer. Learn to do it yourself.
    Installing a new chain and sprocket is marginally easy with proper tools. Do this yourself and save
    An oil change is easy. Do this yourself and save
    Replacing rear brake pads is easy. Do this yourself and save.
    Need new tires? Shop around for best price and pull the wheels yourself for more savings.
    In the case of the chain a special chain tool is required for permanent link chains. This is a great investment that will pay you back over and over again.

9. Badbilly

United States

All good except the part about the 16k service and those pesky valves, carb synchs on some, fuel systems if the bike has an aftermarket chip, bleeding hydraulics and those darned sparkplugs.

Let's not forget about non-franchise shops that work on all sorts of bikes and even guys who make a few pesos on the side working on bikes who may have burnt out working at one of those wonderful dealerships we have all learned to love.

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    So true but these are all areas that a guy (or girl) with a little gumption and patents could tackle as well. The VFR is not the most user friendly bike to service but with a shop manual it can be done. I have always been more wiling to make the investment in tools rather than pay a shop. The big difference in working on your own bike verses paying someone to do it is you care more . You are more apt to take your time and get it right where the guy in the shop is rushed, trying to close out the ticket as quickly as possible.

When I was growing up our next door neighbor was a lawyer with no mechanical experience. My dad was a mechanical engineer and a pretty good mechanic. The lawyer fell in love with a powder blue Triumph Spitfire that needed an overhaul. He asked my dad for advice. My dad said "Your a lawyer. You went to school and you are used to study and research. Approach it like a case or a college class. Go to the library and do as much research as you can. Take notes and if you get stuck ask me questions." He did and with a few exceptions worked his way through the rebuild by himself. He was never so proud of that car and dove it everywhere. Doing your own service has its own reward beyond all the money you save at the dealership.

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Most folks can make more money with their time by doing what they are good at than they ever "save" by stumbling through something they aren't trained for.

I can paint my own house but the professional does it in half the time I could all while I'm at work earning far more.

No denying the personal gratitude aspect but the "savings" more often than not is a fallacy.

12. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    The last time I was at a dealer for service I wanted them to sync my VF500 carbs. Cost me $95 with a discount. Never again. I cannot deny that having service work performed by a competent tech is a great luxury. I have given up doing my own car work and it has been wonderful. I just don't like to do it.

13. Badbilly

United States

Can you say the same about painting your bike? ;)

Heres one for ya.. My dad was a lawyer and paid his way through UCLA Law by painting houses.

Now if Jim had said his next door neighbor rebuilt a Briggs and Stratton on his lawnmower then maybe this means I can stroke the crank and throw a blower on the 1200 if I just RTFM. Sometimes I think I am in a
    Roy Rogers movie here..

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Like this story. A couple years ago I got into it with some kid on the local sportbike forum because he asked for "help" but what he really wanted was for someone to do it for him.

15. Badbilly

United States
    Same dudes you work for?

16. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    More detail: The lawyer in question did as my dad suggested. He went to the library and got books on general mechanics and specific Spitfire applications. He studied, gathered parts and tools and then made a start. The only physical help he needed was when he and my dad pulled the engine using a 2x4 and a chain. (It was a little bitty motor.) He did all the work himself and learned enough to order the machine work he needed like valve resurfacing and crank turning. He drove that car for years and was so proud of his work. The story ended when he was headed to work and broke the crank under hard acceleration on the entrance ramp to the North Dallas Toll Road.

17. Badbilly

United States
    Roy would have rode off into the sunset thanking his lucky stars that Trigger and Dale both only need oats instead of tech manuals and a bunch of tools.

18. LOUDASS03VFR

LOUDASS03VFR New Member

I personally go to RPM Motorsports. They have reasonable prices on retail stuff. Never have used their service as I do my own. The staff is friendly and they have a nice showroom. My 2 cents...

19. redmyst

redmyst New Member

avoid Fay Myers like the plaque.. they will rip you off and then kick your dog..

I have used Sun Honda in thornton for years and while the prices are not the best the service techs there have been great..

I had one bad fork seal but as I pointed out the bike was only 2 years old and I dont do wheelies or endo's anymore(old and fat with 2 kids) they replaced both for me for 165.00, the cost of one.. so they are willing to work with you..

the did my 12000 mile tune up, put new tires on(purchased through performance), installed a 12v cig near the clutch side. all for 500.00.. so give them a whirl..

20. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Shop manual is important but some experience helps. I do all my own work, from bikes and cars to electrical and plumbing, tile, framing, etc. Dad is the one that taught me most of that and what he didn't teach, he gave me the confidence to try and learn on my own. That and being a mechanical engineer gets me through. But I still wouldn't tackle those 6th gen valves! :)