2014 VFRworld Calendar - Now accepting photo submissions

Discussion in 'VFRworld News' started by michael, Oct 28, 2013.

1. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    VFRworld - It's that time again! We are heading into the holidays, and it's time for us to start working together to create next year's 2014 VFRworld Calendar. As most of you know, the Calendar has been a holiday tradition for many years, and every year the quality seems to get better and better.

The Calendar is a great way to show off our bikes and our creativity, and it's also a great way to support VFRworld. The annual sale of the Calendar covers a large portion of the monthly web hosting and software costs for the site.

As in previous years, the photos for the calendar will be selected from submissions from our members. Now is your chance to see your beautiful motorcycle, in all its shiny glory, representing a month in 2014.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY!

The rules for photo submissions are simple.

1. It must be VFR-related.
    2. You must submit a high resolution photo (over 2000 pixel width would be ideal, which equates to 11"x9"). Low resolution photos cannot be enlarged without becoming pixelated.
    3. All years and models are welcome - in fact, the more variety, the better.
    4. Photos which were selected for previous calendars are not eligible. However, a photo previously submitted but not chosen can be re-submitted.
    5. Each member is allowed to submit only 5 photos, so choose wisely.
    6. Classy, artsy, colorful photos are highly encouraged! In the past, the photos selected have been primarily action shots or shots of VFRs in interesting situations (as opposed to a snapshot of your bike sitting in your driveway).

As we did last year, the VFRworld moderators will decide which photos will be included in the calendar. This will ensure that we are selecting photos that will create a well-rounded work of art, including a variety of years and models, settings, and users. Please note that typically, over a hundred photos are submitted, and there are only 13 finalists. We have submitted a request to all the world leaders to add more months to the calendar, but to date our correspondence has not been returned.

Photos can be submitted to the following page: http://www.dropevent.com/Gallery/get603010
    Just click on Upload Photos.
    IMPORTANT!! When you upload, you must include the following information in the caption:

VFRworld Username, Catchy Title, Year Make Model, Photo Location

The caption field is only one line, so you need to separate the fields with commas, as shown above. If you make a mistake on the caption, you won't be able to edit, you'll need to upload your photo again with a new caption. IF YOU DO NOT ENTER THIS INFORMATION, THEN WE HAVE NO WAY OF CONSIDERING YOUR PHOTO!

NOTE: Please don't post your photos on this thread, they won't officially be submitted until you post them on the official Calendar page.

As always, thanks for your support, it is the community that makes VFRworld the best VFR site in the world.

2. michael

United States
    Map
    Who is going to be our brave first contestant!

3. M Jay

M Jay New Member

United States
    Map
    Okay, here you go, uploaded!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Here are some teaser photo for you Michael

VFRs in Baja :glee:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ftl900

ftl900 New Member

Map
    I have a higher res version of this around somewhere.. probably on my laptop at home, but I'm at work right now.

[​IMG]

6. nikvfr

nikvfr New Member

7. michael

United States
    Map
    Some great submissions so far, but remember that if you don't include all information in the caption that is listed in the original post above, we won't even know who submitted the photo. So be sure to read the instructions very carefully!

8. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
  9. ftl900

ftl900 New Member

Map
    There are some great pictures posted already- I'm in with 5, all from my California trip last December. If the electrical diagnostic R/R pic is mine, SORRY... please delete it. :livid:

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    There it was. Done. Some nice submissions coming in.

11. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
  12. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Randy

I looked at a few of the photos you submitted. Were the photos taken at the Frank Slide done after you were here in Kelowna, or did you ride around for a bit with the 8 spoke on the bike before you had it powder coated??

13. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Some very good photos so far!
    I never have anything to share. This is a good opportunity to share some photos of my ride to Colorado last July.
    Here are my submissions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
  15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    That was taken at the Hope Slide. Just about 10 miles along the Crows-nest Hwy (Hwy#3) just east of Hope. The Frank Slide is in Alberta. It was considered BC when that happened some 100 - 120 or so years ago' The Hope slide happened in the mid 60's I think. That photo was taken before I brought the wheels to Kelowna for powdering. Slovfr and I were putting about. I took him there, and to the Orthelo Tunnels dug in Hope many moon ago along the Kettle Railway. That was built to keep the damned Yanks out of BC when they were trying to steal our gold and silver during the many rushes we had here. It was also where they filmed most of the First Blood movies or whatever they were called. I'm not a Stallone fan. Charles Bronson would kick his ass all over the Rockies.

So that's the short answer.

16. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Guess if I had paid a bit closer attention I would have noticed the front wheel on your bike is still silver. With the way the light. Was hitting the front wheel in that photo I should have noticed it was silver and not white. Of course the big print saying Hope Slide (and not Frank Slide) would have been an indication of location. The hill behind though reminded me of the side of the cliff face at the Frank Slide. We used to drive past there from Calgary on the way to visit my grand parents in Creston when I was much younger.

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Some nice photographs have shown up. Take a look see. If you have some of your ride, enter them into this competition. The more phots submitted, the higher quality of selections we are likely to receive.

I think that the sale of this calendar adds to the financial support oft this site to a significant degree, so show your support and buy these calendars when they come out. I have bought 2 or more every years for several years now. In the past, they have been available in a yearly format (all 12 months/ one photo) or the monthly format (13 photos, one for each month and one cover shot).

If you are going out to take photographs for submission, look for a colourful backdrop. Bug guts really show up on the windshield so take a cloth to clean it. And make sure you take the picture in Landscape format. I have seen a few nice pix that cannot be considered due to them being taken in the Portrait mode. And last but not least, set you camera to take the highest quality photo. It makes a huge difference when they are preparing the photo for publishing.

Jump in every one. Lest make the 2014 calendar the best yet.

18. Mrboss

Mrboss New Member

São Martinho Do Bispo, Coimbra, Portugal, Portuga
    will contribute with one of mine, still need to get a day with good weather, and choose a nice photo location

19. nikvfr

nikvfr New Member

[​IMG] nikvfr,Norway for the 2014 calendar

20. nikvfr

nikvfr New Member

[​IMG]
    nikvfr,Europe's northest part,for the 2014 calendar