1983 VF750F Resto

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by a2lute, Oct 28, 2013.

1. a2lute

a2lute New Member

Hello everybody! So right now my outline of what this winters "restoration" will cover is looking like this:

1: Get clutch/shifter spring fix and re-assembled

2: D&T oil mod before primary cover goes back on

3: Attempt to start bike, get wireing/ignition, fueling, all that sorted out.

4: Repaint bike, Thinking about Gloss white wheels with polished lip, Gloss white bike with black stripe(s) down the center.

5: Front and rear suspension rebuild

And of course all the little hiccups in-between. I hope you enjoy the show, discussion and advice welcome!

2. a2lute

a2lute New Member

Just a little inspection as I started out, I went through all the clutch/shift parts the PO gave me stacked up on the primary cover! Right now I am missing the clutch basket bushing that goes inside the roller bearing, the washer that goes in front of the drive sprocket, the little round on the outside/splined on the inside piece that the starter gear slides onto, the spring that holds the gearshift pawl against the shift star was broken and I need a new one, the friction disks are all out of spec, and the drive plates were heated up so bad all but one are brown/discoloured from the heat.

The bike has a cruise control switch added to the front handle bar that I will remove and is missing the fork brace. I believe there was some kind of helmet lock on the rear tail section due do a small round hole being there...I will be contacting the PO to see if he has any of these lying around that he forgot to give to me, other that that it's on to Ebay!

Attached Files:

3. cbnj74

cbnj74 New Member

United States
    I have a red and white one with 31K miles that is running but just needs some TLC. Do you have a budget cap?

4. a2lute

a2lute New Member

Yeah, I'm actually turning this into a track bike, so I don't want to get into it too deep $$$ wise. I don't want to feel like crying when I lay it down. :biggrin:

Right now I have most of my fairings in primer, Ill get some pics of those up later.

My clutch friction disks are all under spec, drive discs had discolouration, but weren't warped. I gave them a light sanding and will reinstall them with the worn out clutch disks. That way I can fiddle around with the "get it to run" aspect sooner. I'll probably just "yamaha bond" the primary case on until I have all the parts for the D&T mod, clutch plates to keep myself busy.

5. a2lute

a2lute New Member

Hey guys, I ran into a little problem. I'm assembling the last bits of the clutch assembly and I cannot get the lifter rod cap to seat down below the groove for the snap ring. Any ideas?

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Your hydraulic clutch has just pushed the rod a little. Push on the rod and compress your slave cyl back in. Just had to do this 1 week ago.

7. a2lute

a2lute New Member

Thanks! I popped the bleeder loose, pushed the rod in and I'm good to go!

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    No prob... For future reference, you don't even need to loosen the bleeder.

9. a2lute

a2lute New Member

Pictures! I hear you guys love these. So I have my front fairing sitting outside the cabinet because I cannot fit it in safely, all other fairings are in there along with my seat. They have a coat of white rattle can primer on them to help me see flaws, only found 2 cracks in the front faring. The chin fairing is not pictured, it has been badly melted by the heat of the exhaust pipes. I will probably straighten it with a heat gun and weld on any missing plastic. Might wrap my exhaust to help with the heat. There is also a picture of the tank in the hideous teal the whole bike came in. I haven't really done much with that except take all the little bits off and drain the gas. IMG_6229.JPG IMG_6230.JPG IMG_6231.JPG IMG_6233.JPG

10. a2lute

a2lute New Member

I've got plenty more where that came from!
    You may notice that I have a bottle of brake fluid on the ground, I drained, cleaned, and bled the front brakes and clutch system. There was some nasty crud in there... I'm mostly concerned about the front brakes master cylinder, it just doesn't feel very solid when I give it a good squeeze. You may also notice that I have got the clutch assembled and the side cover all on! I cranked the bike over with no spark to get some oil pressure before I tried to start it. And then ALL of the gasoline came pouring out of the carburetors. I have ordered a rebuild kit from Bill on Ebay. It was mostly the fuel bowl seals and the fuel tube seals, NBD. IMG_6227.JPG IMG_6228.JPG IMG_6234.JPG IMG_6236.JPG IMG_6239.JPG IMG_6240.JPG

11. a2lute

a2lute New Member

ok, so I got the carburetors back on with new seals, I tried cranking it with a car battery but I set some kind of circuit breaker off? anyone know about this? A hefty car charger (70A) would crank the bike but it would slow down really bad if it caught a compression stroke wrong. I got several good fires out of it, and MANY backfires. I noticed a spark was occuring in the carburator on cylinder 1... I don't know what was up with that yet. I didn't get to check the plugs because I don't have a 13/16 socket small enough to fit in the head, might have to grind mine down. Any thoughts on this folks?

12. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Have you had the cams out? It sounds like the timing is messed up.

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Check all your high current connections to starter, corrosion or oxidation can cause connect to pass some voltage, but not much current. I still have my original '83 and will start a restoration next summer. Good luck.

14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    And did ye inspect the cams fur damage when ye started this pr0ject ?? Backfires c0uld be caused by wr0ng sparkplug wire h00kup.:distrust:

15. a2lute

a2lute New Member

Get ready for a necro post, I finally got the stupid bike running! The PO must have rebuilt the starter clutch/signal wheel. I found it to be 120 degrees retarded. Made for very poor firing! I have it totally painted, I'm going to throw it together and ride this summer. I'll prep it for the track this winter.

-Arrmon

16. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Severe retardation is a common problem with previous owners.

17. a2lute

a2lute New Member

Yeah, I got the bike for $250 because the shift spring was broken and NLA. I bought one for 1.68 from a hardware store. The clutch plates were also rainbow colored from overheating. All signs I should have looked at his work harder, but I didn't know he touched this.

-Arrmon

18. a2lute

a2lute New Member

Ok, more fun stuff.

I had this bike at a shop for a few months, they didn't fix anything, just broke my starter gear boss on my engine, and apparently fiddled with my pilot screws? I can't get it to run on gasoline, only ether. Then I noticed the plugs are off of the pilot screws. Two were totally ran in :mad: The other two were alright, but now I wonder if they took the carbs apart and messed with them. That would kinda get on my nerves as I had them bench synced when I gave them the bike, and told them so. I know that I'm getting air due to it running on ether though.

I'm going to pull the pilot screws, blast carb cleaner in there, and check fuel pump output. If that doesn't work ill have to rebuild the carbs again. Anyone in MI with a manometer and the vacuum nipples?

-Arrmon

19. a2lute

a2lute New Member

FB_IMG_1431304893150.jpg FB_IMG_1431304607419_resized.jpg

And that's how she sits now, runs on good old dino fuel now! So the pilot jets were totally clogged, And any first gen lovers will know that the front and rear banks have different main venturi's. Well my "professionally rebuilt carbs" were set up with a cross pattern venturi's, a fuel tube was broken, and as I previously mentioned, two pilot screws were ran all the way in. On top of that I found two spark plugs loose in their threads. I'm REALLY not feeling the love from this shop. Gonna have to have a talk about that.

I ordered some fancy new aluminum fuel pipes, some brass vacuum nipples (search m5 nipple on ebay), and it appears you can make a manometer really easily withe some tubing and heavy oil. So that's next weekend's project!

-Arrmon

20. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I feel your pain, getting mine back together, slowly.
    [​IMG]
    Waiting for some parts to be powder coated.