Adjustable boat anchor / door stop

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Captain 80s, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    OK... so I really wanted some additional ride height on the 84 VF750F I recently built (Rain Bike Build). Compared to my VF1000F, the rear of this bike just looks kinda squatted. Plus I installed a lower profile rear tire than what is stock. I already have 2 CBR shocks packaged up to send to Daugherty (for one of my 1000R's and my 1000F), and this bike is way down the list for a custom shock and is just gonna have to wait.

So... I modified the stock shock for ride height adjustability.
    IMAG0422.jpg IMAG0423.jpg

Came out pretty cool. Cost me an hour and a half of time and a couple six packs. Lower clevis has a grade 8 nut turned down and pressed into the tube with the all thread welded into place. Upper has the nut half turned down and press fit into the tube and welded.

Oh, and I modified 2 shocks for WHEN this shock fails.

2. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Dang, here I am wishing sometimes I could lower my bike to better fit my 5'4" body.

3. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    That came out great. We refilled a buddy's clapped out stocker with heavier oil. Rode much better. These were junk to begin with but it was a alternative when funds were very low. For his type of riding, it's still functioning perfectly fine. The downside is no ride height adjustment. Can you draw up exactly what you did? I can't picture whats getting pressed in to the upper tube section.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The nut was approx a half inch wide. Half of it was turned down to match the inside ID of the cut shock tube. That left enough to put a wrench on when you tighten the lock nut against it and make sure it was centered in the tube properly.
    IMAG0432.jpg

5. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Gotcha. I thought the nut was just welded onto the shaft but now I see it goes inside as well. Great job and nice welds...something I wish could do better.

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Not me on the welding... that's where the 2 six-packs come in. I wish I could weld like that too.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Wow... what a difference. It feels (and looks) so much better!
    IMAG0436.jpg
    I'll reinstall the lowers after a few more miles to confirm I took care of a little oil leak.

8. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Looks fantastic. That VF is so damn clean. I can't tell you how badly I wish I had my red '83 back. How long is the shock now?

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I added about .75" to the length of the shock. It is now approx 16" eye to eye. After comparing some chassis measurements to what was stock and my VF1000F, and making some adjustments, that's where I settled. I'll get some more miles on some decent roads and see If that's where I'll keep it, but so far I love it. It's a completely different motorcycle. I feel like I can actually get some weight on the front for some feedback, and it turns in much nicer and quicker of course. Still shit suspension, but well worth the time and beer it took. Plus I'll have a better idea of how long I would want a custom shock to be for this bike.

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    >YOU, HOPIT <

PLEASE !! Finally gets yourself an updated model (VFR 700, for example or a 4th gen) and move beyond the VF era so we VFR owners might derive some bright new ideas from your mods and insights.:drunk:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  11. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Actually, I used to modify the stock VF shocks exactly like that back in the early 2000's. The problem was so many of them would fail due to their inherent poor design that is wasn't worth charging people money to perform this upgrade. Luckily, in the meantime I've generated plenty of data so I can get a non-adjustable shock setup with the ride height the owner desires without having to fool with the crummy stock shock.

12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Look... I know they're junk. But this is what it has for now. I was able to do it on the cheap. I was going to be riding this bike with the shit shock for at least a while, so why not with some ride height?