6th gen sewing machine

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by splinter, Feb 6, 2014.

1. splinter

splinter New Member

So I have owned my 2002 vfr800 6th gen since this time last year. Up until now its never missed a beat or caused any issues. Routine fluid changes and new brake pads are the only things I've needed to do. The bike is stock with no mods. However for the last 4 months or so its been developing a loud ticking noise from the front of the bike. The noise generally appears after stopping for the first time that ride. The engine is generally around 70-80 degrees c and the ticking increases with throttle applied. After a while it goes away (20mins or so) and usually only if I put the bike in neutral at lights and let out the clutch.

I've seen some videos of people with CCT issues I don't know if its the recordings but mine sounds more pronounced though.

I will try and upload a video later when I'm at a pc but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Many thanks

Francis

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    CCT might be your case but let take a look at your chain slack first before getting too deep.
    What is your mileages?

3. splinter

splinter New Member

Chain tension is within honda guideline I check that regularly. it does this when the bike sat on the side stand also. Mileage is just under 30k

Thanks

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Check and see if front direct ignition coils are solid, I found one loose on my 2003 (no noise though).

After watching a couple of videos, I'd go with CCT. Is ticking hard metallic noise?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. splinter

splinter New Member

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Sure sounds like valve clearance noise, I will defer to others if it is CCT. Possible sticky valve stem? These valves use shims for adjustment, can't see coming and going except possible lack of lubrication.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

CCT = Cam Chain Tensioner, not to be confused with the drive chain. I have not heard what the CCT issue sounds like personally, but it would appear to be either the CCT or valves.

8. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm I think I would start with replacing the Cam Chain Tensioner(s). It is a known issue and is your cheapest and easiest thing to do. You don't have to open engine to replace them. If that doesn't fix it then obviously it's time to dig deeper. Good luck!

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Exhaust leak maybe at the header? I remember my car years ago where the manifold warped or something and a very small leak sounded something like that.

10. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Did you get it sorted with new tensioners?
    Mine is starting to make similar noises when warmed up but is not a consistent noise rather that it comes and goes.

11. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    Mine seems to be doing this recently. I can only here it when I'm stopped on the first time I stop but is intermittent and not constant nor as loud as splinter's vid. Seems to be worse in cold weather and goes away when the engine is warm! I was thinking CCT even before I saw this. It definitely sounds metallic and rotatey if that makes sense

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  12. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    Just seen a how to and front CCT looks like a huge and complicated job

13. Pasty_PFC

Pasty_PFC New Member

United Kingdom
    I have the same problem with my 2002 VFR. Please see the topic named "error code 27" for more detail.

The additional issue I have is that the V-Tec doesn't kick in. I have been wondering if that could be causing the noise (actuator floating and therefore moved around by a pulsing oil flow). Does any of you with the 'noise' also have V-Tec issues?

I'm not sure that it can be the cam chain as a noise caused by a loose chain suggests that the chain is slapping against engine casing. If that was the case it would wear the interfacing part and subsequently the noise would abate/disappear. I have ridden mine with the noise for over 2kmiles. The noise is clear and persistent.

Any other theories banging about? Any updates from other posters on this topic?

14. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    My vtec works fine :)

15. Pasty_PFC

Pasty_PFC New Member

United Kingdom
    Ok let's see if we can get this thread moving. I can't believe with all the enthusiasts on here and a number of us with the same issue, that someone hasn't invested time/money into solving this one.

Here is some more information on my bike, maybe others may concur;

The noise only starts once the bike is up at temperature (>78degrees C). Then it only occurs when back at idle. If I let the bike get hot (>96degrees C) the noise abates. So you'd think its temperature related...

However when at lights I'm often embarrassed by the noise and so I hit the kill switch. When I restart and allow the bike to idle, the noise is gone. I Rev the bike and it comes straight back.

Also if I take the bike from cold through to hot without revving above 4k then the noise does not occur.

What do you think to that?

16. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    That's some extensive testing!

Mine usually only makes the noise after stopping for the first time and will go away when coolant is 80c or above (when engine is warm) starts at around 60c i guess.

I can only hear it at idle and low speeds, definitely related to engine speed so CCT makes sense to me.

17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    besides the service manual, is there a right up on tensioner replacement?

18. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I really, really tried to find a write up on this site, but alas, I could only find one on the 'other' vfr site. Just google " vfr cam chain tensioner replacement" and that thread will come up. I would post a link, but I am vfrw faithful and wouldn't soil these pages with such a link...

19. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

The stock hydraulic cam chain tensioners were known to be a bit problematic so I replaced mine with a set of APE manual cam chain tensioners.

[​IMG]

Click me.>>>http://cbrzone.com/tensioners.html

The one on the rear cylinder is easy enough to install and adjust. The one on the front cylinder however is slightly more difficult but doable.

It requires that the air box and throttlebodies be removed to install it. Not a particularly hard job really but it does require some time and effort.

Here's a pic of the rear cylinder cam chain tensioner installed.

[​IMG]

The important thing to keep in mind ladies and gentlemen is that if you decide to use these manual cam chain tensioners they're not simply "set and forget." They do need to be occasionally adjusted if the cam chains start to make noise.

In the pic below the Red arrow points to the manual cam chain tensioner and the Yellow arrow points to the cam chain guide track.

You have to be sensible and use your head when making the manual adjustment and not tension the adjusters overly tight as this will cause premature wear on both the cam chain and guide track.

[​IMG]

20. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    es there is a thread which explains it very well (as in how much of a PITA the from CCT is) I'll try looking