HID Projector Retrofit

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by silverbullet132, Feb 25, 2014.

1. silverbullet132

silverbullet132 New Member

Would it be worth doing a write up for this? Just about done the work on my 5th gen.

2. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm sure that there are a number of members that would appreciate a write up on how you completed your project. I would imagine that not many members would realize how to split the headlight housing (including myself) so that the projector assembly could be installed.

:thumbsup:

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

There are many how-tos on this topic, but I don't recall one specific to a VFR, so if you can and would do a write up, I'm sure many members would appreciate it. If I ever go the HID route, I plan on doing it with projectors.

4. silverbullet132

Will post something up when I finish then. It is not too easy but not very complicated at the same time.

5. Kelly Sweet

Kelly Sweet New Member

If I ever go the HID route, I plan on doing it with projectors.

6. silverbullet132

Only thing holding it up now is that I am missing one of the solenoid wires/plugs. Should be in by Friday.

7. silverbullet132

Advice: Don't get huge shrouds. Guide going up soon, part came in last night.

8. silverbullet132

[​IMG]

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/bi-xenon-mini-stage-3-kit-d2s.html

First, remove the headlight and front cowl from the bike. Remove the 4 screws holding the headlight assembly to the cowl.

Get 2 or 3 flat blade screwdrivers, and preheat your oven to 235f. Once heated, put the headlight assembly on either wood or cardboard, and put it in the oven for 10min. Once the time is up, remove the assembly with oven mitts. Pry between the edge where the front pushes on (sorry forgot to grab a pic) and pry the lens off.

This is what you will have (mine is taped off for painting)

[​IMG]

If you wish to paint yours, I recommend Krylon Fusion

[​IMG]

Shave/cut the 2 lower tabs of the locator ring off, just as if it was a normal bulb going in

[​IMG]

This is where it gets tricky. You have to shave/cut about 2mm from this, as the lock nut for the projector will have no room to grip otherwise. (remove the brass bracket on the left)

[​IMG]

Then drill a hole to run your solenoid wire through, close to the hole the projector went through. After that, install the projectors.

[​IMG]

Since I used huge shrouds and square projectors I had to do a bit more cutting

[​IMG]

Shrouds painted

[​IMG]

Get some Butyl glue, stretch it out a bit, and push it into the space between the lens and other half of the headlight. When done all of the above, place the lens on top of the lower half, lining it up the best you can

Put it back in the oven at 235f for 10min, and use pliers to push the 2 halves together. Let it cool, mount up your ballasts (side of the headlight housing works well) then reinstall to the front cowl, run the wiring and your done!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Very nice install silverbullet. I had always wondered how exactly you separate the headlight housing.

Thanks very much for sharing. How does the bulb change between low and high beam??

10. silverbullet132

There is a solenoid in the projector that flips down when you hit the hi beam switch.

Hardest part of the entire thing was cutting off the plastic at the back of the bulb housing to make enough clearance for the projector. Everything else went really easily.