Need help wiring a simple switch

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by WGREGT, Apr 15, 2014.

1. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    I'm about to set up my GPS on the VTEC, and wanted to verify my thoughts first.

I'm thinking of wiring a simple cig lighter into the rear tail light wire (cause it gets power only when the key is on) and simply putting it under the seat somewhere. There are many ways to hardwire in my Garmin GPS, but I'm choosing to simply buy another car plug like the one that came with the unit, and plug that in under the seat as well. Nothing permanent, and easy to remove if I sell it and the next guy doesn't like it/need it/want it.

So, now it will come on when I turn the key like I want, but...it also will turn on when I'm not carrying the GPS with me. That cord will have power all the time. Sure, I could remove the seat and unplug it, but I also have a solo rack, which needs to come off first, as well as an ill-fitting Corbin that is a PITA to get locked down.

So, I was thinking I'd like to have a simple SPST switch like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062523

and wire it up so the cig plug is only hot when the key is on AND the switch is thrown.

Now...if I wanted to wire my radar detector into the same switch, so that the same on/off switch ALSO turns power on/off to the the RD as well, how would you do that as well?

I'd need tips at the "I know nothing" level too, BTW. I know just enough about 12V systems to be a liability in most cases.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Personally, I would not worry about the GPS being hot wired or switched. With Garmin, you have to power up and down anyways so I wouldn't worry about the mount automatically going powerless when you shut the bike down. But each to their own for many reasons. Mine is hot direct to the battery.

3. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    You'd say the same thing about the RD then too, I suppose?

4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    RD I presume is radar detector. I don't have one. Have never owned one so I don't know if they stay on when the ignition is turned off.

With the Garmin, it has an internal battery as you likely are already aware. If you were to leave it turned on, then all that is going to happen is that battery will go dead which is not a big deal is you are not intending to use it off bike.

One thing to consider on the 6th gen, if you are going to be putting a cigaret lighter socket under the seat, they is precious little room under there so make sure that you have this space available before you wire it that way. YOu can always consider attaching an SA plug instead of the cigarette lighter. The SA plugs are far far thinner and take up so little space. More durable too.

Weekend before last, I spent a couple hours with VFR_AG going over my bike wanting to put a cigarette lighter plug on mine for my Sena Helmet coms and other devices I carry to keep everything charges and ready on longer trips. I was going to install it on that inner black cowl that is inside top of the side farings. Sorry don't know the name of the part. But this is where Scubalong installed his. Problem is though, if you have ABS, there is no room in behind there for the socket.

Also, you want to consider this. All of your lights, highs lows and tail lights are on one 20 amp fuse. If you blow that fuse for whatever reason, then you have no lights at all. A real short sight on HOnda's part as far as I am concerned, but for the 6th gen, it is there.

Good luck.

5. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Do yourself a favor and buy a automotive relay and an in line fuse holder good for 20 or more amps.
    Connect the relay coil to the low beam headlight positive and a frame connection. This will switch the relay with the key and no worries about over current issues. Connect one side of the fuse holder to the relay contact n.o. (normally open) and the other end of the fuse holder to the battery positive. Try and keep the fuse as close to the battery as you can. The relay can be anywhere. Now connect a wire to the relay common and that goes to whatever you want to power. Remember that the frame is the negative return on most automobiles.

A good place for a lighter socket is on the right side of the gauges and down below the handle bars. Not much behind there.

6. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Any way to use ONE switch to turn on/off everything, Stosh?

7. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Battery----fuse --------switch -------- device -------- frame.

This will not handle more than 10 amps without getting warm. Limiting factor is the switch. Try not to cut into your harness. If you want automatic power control, you need a relay as there is not enough available power on the key switch.

8. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States

Thanks though for the thoughts. Keep 'em comin'.

9. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Randy, where did you end up putting your cig lighter socket then?

10. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    No joke about the warmth thing. I tried a real simple set-up just now with aligator clips holding the wires to the switch, and simply ran it right to the positive lead on the RD, then to the battery and touched the neg wire from the switch to the frame ground.

As I held it there for those 3-4 seconds, it got too hot to hold and tried to fuse itself to the frame. I flipped the switch back the other way and it stopped getting warm, so at least I have the wiring diagram right in my head. Glad I checked first though. So, I'm guessing since the switch is rated at 10 amps, JUST running the RD alone so far is way more than that? Another switch maybe with a larger capacity would solve this, assuming I could calculate all my amp load and get a switch larger than that load number?

PS I know nothing about amps either.

11. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Nonsense, Randy! I had a 12v socket installed under my seat and it fit just fine.

WGREGT - Learn how to wire up a relay.

12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Sorry wgregt. I was not very clear on part of that post. You are absolutely correct. Your GPS will contimue to draw from your motorcycle battery if wired hot to your battery, unless you turn the GPS off. What I meant to imply, was that regardless of how the Garmin is wired, if you turn off the bike, the GPS will continue to run until its internal battery drains. So, you should be turning it off in any event, unless there is not chance in hell that you would ever remove the GPS and use it away from a power source, such as a hike on foot.

I have abandoned the idea of the cigarette lighter socket on mine. I think I can find places on the farings that will accomodate the depth of that socket but I am not willing to cut fairings at this point. There is no way in hell, this one is going to fit behind that black inner plastic next to the faring, below the GPS mount on the bars. Maybe you can get a smaller socket but with the ABS stuff under there, I really don't think it will fit:
    IMGP1683.jpg

BTW, this is an SA plug. Maybe known by many other names elsewhere:
    IMGP1680.jpg

As it is right now, both my Garmin and my Gerbings are wired hot to the battery. The Garmin is mounted on the left handlebar. Ideally it would be mounted fromt and centre but when I go on a tour, my tank bag is high enough that I would not be able to see the GPS if it were there so tis is where I mounted it:
    IMGP1687.jpg

The Gerbings heated gear is wired hot like I said. Gerbings have their supplied wiring for such and I have it just tucked in here:
    IMGP1681.jpg

When I unplug, I just tuck the wire in behind the silver frame. In the years and 10's of thousands of miles I have ridden with it this way, there has never been an issue:
    IMGP1682.jpg

Like I said, I have abandoned the idea of the cigarette lighter socket. I am heading towards making a connector that has the male end for the Gerbings heated gear plug adapting to an SA plug. Maybe even splice two SA plugs into that lead so I can use the Gerbings as well as other electronics I want to keep charge for long trips such as my Sena Helmet Coms and cell phone. These are the reasons for my execise to begin with.
    I need a computer USB socket to plug the cell phone and Sena into. Those are available somewhere, I just haven't looked yet. I am inclined to run the adapter wire I make from the Gerbings lead, and run it through a hole in my tank bag and place the USB connectors inside the tank bag. Simple enough to run the Sena into the bag and plug in. Same with the cell if I carry it in my pocket.

13. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

On negative frame electrical, always fuse and switch the positive side of the circuit. This is because most automotive devices use their chassis as a ground to frame, thus no fuse or switch.

A good way to look at this is, your headlights take about 7amp per bulb, your horn uses about 8amps. The fuel pump takes 5amps. All these circuits use relays because they can be cooled more easily, they also allow a much lower current (about 250ma) to control a large current.

Automotive grade switches were never meant to carry the thermal load that the current creates.

14. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Randy, I have ordered a few weather tight usb connectors. Any 5 volt dc supply with less than 0.1% ripple and able to provide 100ma more than your load will work fine. Charge cell phone and the sena I am using a lm7805cv voltage regulator with some clean up components to make it work. I can make this thing provide upwards of 5amp at 5v quite easily, and it is cheap.

15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Well there you go. Rainbow has done it and I have not. I just looked there and discounted the idea, space being only one of the reasons. But it did come up again as a consideration the other weekend.

16. Mark919

Mark919 New Member

United States
    Map
    I've found that the Powerlet system works great for something that is just a plug-in.
    See the link above for a link to wire my bike and a picture of the VFR steering adapter.

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I like that set up and just may do that in the future. Bookmarked that site. Othe stuff on that site interesting to be aware of too. You could even throw a switch into that loop too to satisfy OP's original plan.

18. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Updated diagram.

[​IMG]

19. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Yep. The bike actually came with a Powerlet already installed, but it's on the left lower frame by the passenger pegs. I think the original owner used it for a heated vest, but my Widder has a different plug that doesn't fit it, and I have a pigtail off the battery for my vest anyhow, so I have never used the Powerlet, actually. Kinda in an unusable location for me. I thought about moving it up to the steering stem, but I have the RAM mount on the front of the tank, and my GPS cradle covers the steering stem anyhow.

20. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Stosh has mad 'lectric skills, it seems. Thanks for your help, Stosh.