New VFR Owner (soon anyway)

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Forester, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Forester

Forester New Member

United States
    Map
    Just wanted to say hello, I have been lurking around here for the best part of a year but since there is a new addition to the family coming this weekend it seemed a good time to join.

I am picking up a 2012 VFR1200F Saturday assuming nothing goes crazy between now and then.

I have been riding a VTX1800F for the past several years and find myself wanting something a little more sporty, but still comfortable enough to ride all day. I am keeping the cruiser because it is comfortable for 2 up riding and the wife likes it. The VFR will be primarily a day trip bike for me with a few solo overnight trips here and there. I knew I didn't want anything too far down the touring direction, and that something like a CBR would not be comfortable all day (I tried). Choices were down to a K1300S or VFR1200F, I am a fan of Honda's boring reliability so that sealed the deal.

And since I can not leave any bike stock for long, a Z-bomb and some other minor additions are already on order.:biggrin1:

Pictures once it is mine officially.

2. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard! We do accept pics from pending purchases. :biggrin-new:

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the madness :wave:
    Looking forward to see your new ride :rolleyes:

4. Forester

Forester New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, despite some rain in the morning here the bike came home yesterday.

4 miles on the clock after I took a quick 2 mile test drive in the rain before heading home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hate bringing a new bike home that way but rain and new tires on a new bike... Seemed like the best idea.

The roads dried out by the time I got home and 150 miles later I couldn't be happier.

Here it is home.

[​IMG]

I should be able to put a few hundred more on tomorrow.

5. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Very nice, welcome aboard.

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Nice :thumb: Ride safe and keep the shinny side up :rolleyes:

7. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Orgasmic bike. Welcome.

8. VFR joe

VFR joe New Member

nothing wrong with bringing it home, as needed. welcome

[​IMG]

9. dsmit34

dsmit34 New Member

United States
    Map
    Very sweet bike

10. Forester

Forester New Member

United States
    Map
    I got to put some real miles on the bike Monday and I still have a grin from ear to ear. It was a nice 250 mile ride including rt. 311 in VA and WV over Potts and Peter's Mountains, could not have asked for better weather.

A few thoughts/questions, nothing much that hasn't been said here before but...

*I rotated the levers down a bit and that made my hands much more comfortable, I did get some soreness in my wrists still, would rotating the clip ons forward slightly be likely to help?

*The polished stainless exhaust is a PITA, has anyone tried bead blasting it to a more matte look? It will likely get replaced eventually but for the moment that might make it fit in a little better? I am also disconnecting the flapper this week.

*The 1st and 2nd restriction was obnoxious on tight turns, but a Z-Bomb came in the mail while I was gone, so that is easy to fix. I picked up a service manual too.

I guess I am going to get to find out what new tires will do for the bike because when I stopped for lunch I came out and noticed the rear tire looking a little low. There was a NAPA across the street and a gas station with air next door, so I picked up a plug kit and was able to get back on the road. I stopped to check the air every 25 miles or so for the first 100 miles of the ride home and things seem to be holding up fine. I ordered a new PR3 when I got home:dread: Any opinions on if I should just mark this down to crappy luck or if it is reasonable that the a brand new tire gets a hole from the rock in the picture?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At any rate, still a good day, got home safe and had time to wash and wax the new toy before calling it a day. Z-Bomb, exhaust flapper removal, tire, and USB power port planned for this week!

11. dsmit34

dsmit34 New Member

United States
    Map
    The 1200 Handles very, I love my 1200f.

12. Jeff S

Jeff S New Member

United States
    Map
    Mine was delivered in a closed trailer. No shame there, as far as I'm concerned. :smile-new: Beaurtiful bike, love the blue. Enjoy!

13. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Just replace the exhaust with your slip-on of choice. Lots of choices out there. (I'm partial to Leo Vince)

Get yourself a set of Heli-Bars. Should alleviate any wrist issues.

Z-bomb will take care of the restrictions. Don Guhl now has a flashing ECU service that works 100%

Enjoy the new bike.

14. Forester

Forester New Member

United States
    Map
    A slip on and Heli-Bars are on my list of things to do, but for now the fun money account needs to build back up a bit first! Heli-Bars are high on the list though. A new tire so soon was not, but such is life.

I put the Z-Bomb on last night but wont have the new tire on till Friday to really try it out. I may make a short ride this evening or ride it calmly to work tomorrow just to give it a try.

15. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Beautiful!

What kind of tire was that rear? Doesn't seem right that a small rock like that would do it in.....

Where are you located? I'm in Spotsylvania, VA & head toward WV on occasion. ....

16. Forester

Forester New Member

United States
    Map
    It was the factory Dunlop....I caught a local shop with a close out Power Pure and free mount/balance so I am going to have it put on Friday so I can ride again Saturday Sunday and Monday.

I'm near Danville, I usually ride out in southwest VA, southern WV and TN, .rt 58, va rt16(back of the dragon), also out to rt 421 in TN pretty often.

When I go towards WV, it is usually up rt 311 and some on 219 in southern WV.

17. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Interesting; I was just in Danville on business last night!

18. Forester

Forester New Member

United States
    Map
    I was busy redneck engineering a way to lift the bike to take the rear wheel off till late. I'd have bought the beer for some help!

At any rate, new PP 2CT mounted and reinstalled, exhaust flap cable yanked off, USB power port installed, break in oil change done, and throttlemeisters installed....I took about a 30 mile test ride this evening and now all is ready for a long ride tomorrow. Probably down to 421 "The Snake"

19. Forester

Forester New Member

United States
    Map
    One month and 2000 miles later this bike just keeps on bringing a smile. I find myself looking for new excuses for a ride just to go tear around on it for a few minutes! Longest ride to date is 430 miles.

I had to make a few changes, nothing extraordinary...Z-Bomb, Lower Pegs from Knight Designs, Throttlemeisters, a USB power port, Techmount for my iphone (for GPS & music), and most recently added an Axio tail bag for the miscellaneous stuff I always like to carry.

If anyone is wondering, Axio's blue matches the 2012 perfectly. This bag is perfect for me, I can keep my tire patch kit, tool kit and have plenty of room left over.

[​IMG]

20. cutback

cutback New Member

Forester, she's lookin' sweeeeet!