Own a VFR1200 - What Makes a FUN Second bike?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jayzonk, Apr 16, 2014.

1. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey, I have a 2010 VFR 1200 but have a serious hankering for a second bike right now. I was thinking about a whole range of things and was wondering if anyone could comment. I thought it would be exhilarating to have a Ducati 1199 or 899, to just have that extra power to go for a quick rip out on the highway, would be really fun. Also thought that a Honda CB1000r (naked sport bike) or Triumph Speed Triple would offer a lot of fun as well. Or what about a flat out CBR1000rr? Are any of these bikes significantly different enough to be worth owning? What about a motard?

2. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd guess its really a matter of what you want or what type of variety you're after. A naked? Motard? All out sport bike?

I can comment only on the CBR1000RR. That's definitely a fun bike. compared to my VFR800, it was significantly different. heck it was significanlty different even compared to my old school GSXRs and ZX7R. I did also own an Triumph Daytona 675. I can tell you that little triple was one hell of a bike with a motor that sounded almost as good as say, a honda V4. With either, I think the biggest thing you'll notice is the weight. Almost feels like sitting on a bicycle after being on a VFR. kinda refreshing....

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Motards are dudes who ride Harleys.

4. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes, I rode one on a Honda Test Ride day and really liked the feel. It felt like the bike was an extension of myself, with very small inputs required to get the bike to move. Why doesn't my VFR ride like that??
    My only thought was that the CBR1000rr might not be so hot, say, for some tight stuff where there's really no room for speed, say, like going up or down a small, single lane road on the side of a mountain - my thoughts are that it would be a little too twitchy, where something like a Speed Triple would probably be a lot easier to handle. Is that fair? Just going by my experience in a group ride, with various riders and bikes.

5. cruzmissile

cruzmissile New Member

United States
    I was in the same boat until this past January...I love the 1200 and would plan on keeping it for quite a long time, but I felt like having something very different....so I got me a VMAX!!
    There just aren't words to describe the raw power of this bike and smile it brings after ripping throught the first few gears. This is not something I would use for longer trips but the wife likes this better for 2-up riding.
    The VFR is happier on long stretches and the VMAX is at home cruzing through town.

Just my $0.02 but I agree with the previous comment on it really depends on your taste/personality. vmax.jpg

6. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    That's interesting. How does the acceleration on the VMax compare to the CBR? Or the Speed Triple? The VMax has a really neat look. Honda's new Valkyrie looks good too, but I don't suspect it has the power of the Max.

7. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map

I think you may be right about the 1000rr. it wasn't too bad at low speeds. I had the 04 so I can comment on the factory electronic steering damper, useless. I think the 04's had a bit longer wheel base than the current editions so the twitchiness may be worse.

If the speed triple is anything like the Daytona, I'd say that might be the ticket on light weight speed. The daytona was a great handling bike at any speed. Nothing will beat my ZX7R for a super stable front end but that bike was pretty close. I was sad to have to sell it.

No experience with the newer Vmax. But if the formula hasn't changed, I'm sure its a killer straight line bike that'll pull your arms out of their sockets! I would wonder about the low speed maneuverability though.

8. VFR_AG

VFR_AG New Member

Looking at a whole range of options would include below too... you have a mile muncher for the hwy, nothing more fun than this in town..

[​IMG]

9. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I've ridden with a guy that has a Triumph Speed Triple and it is an amazing machine. Can't remember what kind of pipe it has but it sure sounded cool..........

10. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I've had a bit of time on the Ducati Diavel, If you'd consider a V Max, take this one for a demo. It has similar acceleration, is fairly light and handles surprisingly well. With the touring options and a Visa card you and the wife will become nomads.

11. boscoe

boscoe New Member

Not sure either Ducati or CBR1000RR is dramatically different experience. Maybe a Monster 1200. Or, blasphemy here at this site, a Harley V-Rod or Triumph. The other bikes on your list are sport/sporty. H-D and Triumph are in a different realm

12. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Crossplane R1. Exact same firing order as a VFR800. They can be had cheap now, $8k for a very low mileage version.

13. PITA

PITA New Member

I'm off to Americade again in June where I try everything under the sun, every manufacturer is there with their demo trucks for the week long event. That's what I'd recommend for you, see firsthand what gets you going.

For me, I don't believe in the one bike for all things, though the VFR12 comes closest (with bags). But I also have a Road King (2 up and serious highway distance), DRZ400SM with 2 tire sets (fireroads, trails, blasting about) and a Fireblade (Sunday morning blasts, odd track days). Variety is always better.

14. reverus

reverus New Member

Map
    I vote go for a polor opposite, you've got comfort and touring, so for the other bike go totally unpractical! something stupid and fun like a cafe, or full race bike, Personally i try to avoid crossing purposes when getting multiple vehicles. As an example, i have a vfr800 for practicality, and an RC51 for making noise and being a bad ass on.
    dude, you should totally get an rc51.

15. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I love my Ducati 748.

As a second motorcycle.

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The thing to do is buy a Harley, add a bunch of useless farkles then sell it for twice what ya paid for it. Just like the sales dude said. I may do this then I can get one a them MV Agustas wirh all the carbon fiber and titanium stuff on it or maybe just skip another bike and get a Ferrari.

17. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I vote for something small. Thats what im considering as a second bike. I have seen new left over cbr 250s for under 2500. I had borrowed a ninja 250 once for a few days and it was a blast. Not to mention they can get close to 70mpg. Not the way i like to ride them though. They feel like you are riding a bicycle they are so light feeling. Or even better if you can find one is a rgv 250 2stroke. There was one for sale locally a few years ago and i still wish i had bought it. I think they were mainly a japanese only model but there were some available in the states. I could only imagine the giggles you could have riding one of those on the street.

18. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    RGV two-stroke? Was that a Yamaha? Yes, that would be a blast...a noisy "Ning ning ning ning ning ning ning....."

19. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I was considering a smaller displacement bike, say a CBR600, strictly for track. Grand Bend Motor Speedway is close by, and that track would probably be a real hoot on a Saturday afternoon.

20. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Really? The CBR 250?? It's like how the joke about fat chicks goes....fun to ride until you get caught by your friends?
    Seriously, though....what was the ride like? That would be significantly different. That or the Suzuki Motard 400.