VFR1200DCT how do you use your shift settings?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by VFR joe, Apr 17, 2014.

1. VFR joe

VFR joe New Member

ok. Had my 2012 VFR1200FD with its Dual Clutch Technology now for a couple weeks, and starting to get a handle on how it works.

[​IMG]

But, at first, I had to stop toggling between all the modes, and one day ride it in M mode, one day ride it in S mode, one day ride it in manual mode, just to see how it worked at different times, curvy slow sections, long straights, that sort of thing.

Now with some time with it, I can see that one setting would not be best for everywhere (like, doh, yeah, probably why there are different ones), and heres a small sampling of what I can gather so far.

First impressions riding with the DCT is that its tuff to get going, if the launch has one make a U turn, or even more a U turn on a hill.

To improve its initial response, I tightened up the right switch, and eliminated any excess free play in the throttle, that helped.

So it seems, I have found, I think, that in slow corners its best to use D mode, as this downshifts less, and acts more like one would ride a normal bike with the clutch pulled in, instead of S mode or manual, where it downshifts on its own, seemingly at its will, not mine, causing the front end to tuck, and if I'm not paying attention, not exactly what one would normally do.

so heres my question.

"how you you ride yours?

I do like the manual, for straights and medium to long turns, one can simply put it how it seems best, (that changes with my mood and intentionally what speed I desire),
    but find the D mode, is better for tight consecutive tight turns, like a twisty canyon, with very slow corners.

I am certainly not saying one has to drive this way all the time, but each "Mode", seems to have its character, and I am just asking what you found best? eh?

2. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I leave mine in S mode most of be time. It shifts just like I would with one exception; when accelerating hard then plateauing out at a semi legal speed it take too long to up shift a couple of gears to just cruise. At that point I typically intervene to get the right gear sooner.
    Slippery conditions or if the bike still needs to warm up a bit I use D mode. And once in awhile I bang it around in manual for a little variety but not often.
    At parking lot speeds in any mode don't be afraid to use your rear brake, at slow speeds the bike can be controlled as well as one with a clutch.
    All the best, enjoy your Blue Beast.

3. VFR_AG

VFR_AG New Member

Nice blue - never seen one in that colour !!

4. VFR joe

VFR joe New Member

Ah, dragging the rear brake, I'll try that.

thx

5. Ocard

Ocard New Member

D is good for city traffic and commuting, though I mostly accelerate too hard so the computer often stays in the lower gear too long under these conditions.
    For having fun I mostly use manual and do not get below 3000rpm. Especially leaned over it's not smooth enough down there.
    However, I never had problems with U-turns from a stop - well at least not more than on any other bike.

6. VFR joe

VFR joe New Member

I agree, it does seem to need more rpm's when in turns, smooths the drive out as it should be.
    maybe my U turn difficulty is my own perception.
    robclo's advice to use the rear brake, counter intuitive, was good advice. It also seems to smooth out power application.

7. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    First I exit my 1/4 mile dirt road in M. Onto highway (in name 45-50mph limit) in D smooth as buttah. A few miles later into 30mph zone blip down into 3rd and stay there for a few miles. Onto real highway in D, lovely for all but full launch. The only time I use S is in twisties, and I usually override it and end up finger shifting.

Shifting in any mode with no load is clunky, so I try to shift when accelerating or engine-braking, which takes a little getting used to but is so smooth and fast.

I know a guy . . . the rev-limit in 4th is just under 140mph indicated - often a good time to upshift and engine-brake after a quick snort of Viff.

8. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Does "The Guy" happen to no what it is in 5th?

9. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    That guy has not upshifted and accelerated from that rev-limit in 4th, but is sending his ECU to Guhl for reflash, and running his DCT at Loring Timing Association's July and/or Labor Day events. www.loringtiming.com Have been there last two Labor Day events, great people, long days, as many runs as racers can handle.

They have traps at the mile and 1.5 mile, then another mile to slow down, all 100 yards wide and B-52 runway flat. I live in Maine, and it's a 300 mile trip for me, but well worth it.

I will let you know how it does. I mean my friend . . .