need new rear tire, which to buy??

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by crxnug, Apr 18, 2014.

1. crxnug

crxnug New Member

Map
    I just found a hole in my rear tire and will need to replace the tire, right now i have Dunlop Sport radial d202 front and rears, im not even sure if you can get the d202 anymore,its been awhile since i have purchased tires as this is my first bike in over 15 years , this bike a 1996 has only 9000 miles so im sure the tires have been on for awhile, what would you recommend as a very good tire, Will i have to buy front and rears if i cant get a d202 rear?, i might change the front anyhow as i feel comfortable with a high end tire up front, any help would be much appreciated in making a tire choice,

2. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    If the tires are that old you will be wanting new set anyway. Tires are good for mileage and age too old can be juat as bad as worn. There are plenty tires out there now. Bridgestone bt023, dunlop road smart, Michelin pilot road 2 and 3., Pirelli Angels. All are good options for a sport tour rider.

If you step up to an aggressive tire you got the bridgestone s20, dunlop Q2 and Q3s, Michelin pilot power 2CT and Pirelli diablo rosso II.

Many shops will change them for you for $15 a wheel off the bike and ou can get a good selection online. You are 5 days away from new tires.

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    If you are really cheap and don't ride too aggressively Shinko's last a long time. The only thing I didn't like was they are more rounded than I like. I prefer a little more aggressive turn-in. It sure was fun to blow past those guys in the curves who ragged on Shinko tires as being worthless, though.

4. crxnug

crxnug New Member

Map
    i prefer a lower profile tire, i have 170/60/17 now, i prefer to get a higher end tire then going on the cheap side, brakes and tires i prefer to get better quality products

5. crxnug

crxnug New Member

Map
    after doing a little research i leaning towards the Pirelli diablo rosso II, not that pricey at about $250 for a set at bikebandit, does anyone know where i can find a sport tire comparision with sizes and rolling diameter, i noticed the Dunlop Sportmax Q3 only has 160-60/17 or 180-55-17 at least whats listed at bikebandit, any info would be much appreciated

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  6. DfnsMn69

DfnsMn69 New Member

After this last incident and anecdotal sprouts from friends I will never give Pirelli another thin dime of my money. I just threw a set of PR4s on my 6th gen. Only a short commute to work this morning will give them am honest ride over the weekend. But so far Im really liking them.

20140414_102236.jpg
    Diablo's after about 3k.

7. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Take a look at motorcyclesuperstore and motomummy

If you are looking at the rosso II then take look at the Bstone s20 and the new dunlop,q3s while you are at it.

8. daxamundo

daxamundo New Member

Just curious why nobody mentioned the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires. I know they changed the compound a bit on them, according to a Revzilla video I watched. Now a hard compound down the middle 20%, and medium compound on the outer 40%.

Anyway, I found a good deal at Chaparral on a set of PR3's, and I think I am going to go for that ($281 for the set). I was just curious if anyone had any experience with the PR4s.

9. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I just bought a set of PR4S from Revzilla for $359 w/ free shipping. I've put about 500 miles on tbem & absolutely love them. I have a lot of dry miles on various tarmac surfaces without a hiccup & a few wet miles. I can say they inspire a LOT of confidence in the wet. Past models of the PRs have proven to be very long-lasting (7000-15000 miles reported). I have nothing bad to say about them. I came from a Bridgestone Battleaxe on the rear & a Michelin Pilot Power on the front.

10. daxamundo

daxamundo New Member

Hey, thanks for that feedback!

I think the PR3's will be fine for me, though it seems it is not much more to go with the PR4s. I'm down in central TX, and though I ride to work, I have the option to work from home on the rainy days, which I do, mainly to avoid the cage drivers that do not understand the principles of inertia and friction.

11. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I will also add that the PR4 compound is supposed to specifically be better over road paint, tar snakes, etc. & I can report that to be absolutely true. No drama over changing surface conditions in mid-curve~

12. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I am a fan of the Dunlop Q2/3 or a Roadsmart. To me, mileage is not as important as GRIP! I have a Q2 front and need to put on a matching rear.

Remember that touring tires have less aggressive profiles that performance tires. I say, buy your tires as a matched set and replace within the same product line.

Jose

13. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    I just upgraded from my (now worn out) Pilot Powers to Pilot Power 3 tires. Wore the old rear out, but the front wasn't far behind - no chicken strips left on either one :funky: . I'm hoping the 2 compound technology will minimize wear on the slab, while continuing to give really good stick on the twisties :thumbsup: . A little pricy, but so far, I'm really liking them (about 100 miles so far) :heh: :strong: .

14. hwyrogue

hwyrogue New Member

Map
    I just put BT-023s on..so far so good, but weather hasn't played along to really get a feel for them (or the new bike)

15. konigralph

konigralph New Member

I gotta agree with you about Pirelli. I thought it was just me but their tires wear incredibly quickly... Definitely not what I want in a tire.

16. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I just had the Metzler M5's put on today, great price and I find them stickier then the Michelin's.

17. Donnelly317

Donnelly317 New Member

I love my pilot road 3's on my Vmax just bought the 4's for the VFR there supposed to last 20% longer. And they have a GT version for riding 2up.. stiffer side walls. wish I would've went with a 190 wide tho..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

18. daxamundo

daxamundo New Member

19. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
  20. Donnelly317

Donnelly317 New Member

The question is what's the price difference? With 20% longer life if the difference isnt to much the 4's is the way to go

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk