Old, but allmost unused helmet.

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Skallebenk, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Skallebenk

Skallebenk New Member

I bet something similar has been discussed several times before, but I still haven't found the answer.
    So here's the case:

I sold my previous bike nine years ago, a few rides after buying a new helmet.
    Just bought a bike again, and the question is basically; should I replace my old, but barely used helmet?

I'm conflicted. Not sure if i'm looking for confirmation that I should save the money, and use the helmet I have, or if I'm looking for reasons to spend a million, and buy the Schubert modular that I want.

My helmet is a Shark RSR2, bought in the fall of 2004. Presumably manufactured in late 2003/early 2004. So basically it's 10 years old.
    It was used for 8-10 rides (max 10hrs total), before it was stored.
    And now it's been sitting on a shelf in my storage room for about nine years, packet nicely in a helmet bag, and only moved occasionally when the lady of the house decides it's time I clean up, and throw out some of the crap I'll never use anyways.

I tried it on, and it seems it's not broken in. The foam seems to have returned to it's original shape during storage. It fits, but feels more like a new helmet, than one that has been used and adapted to my head. The fit seems a little tighter than I remember. But then, its been nine years. I might just have forgot..
    (Or maybe, just like my belly, my head has also grown a lot during the last 9 years?? :D )
    It looks like a brand new helmet still.

So what do you guys think?
    Is it reasonable to assume that a helmet has no problems with storage, and I can safely use it?
    Or should I listen to those saying that an old helmet is a bad helmet, no matter how good it looks?

Safety is the main concern here..

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    If "safety is your main concern" then it is simple - donate your helmet to the local emergency services who can make good use of it practicing and learning the skill of removing helmets safely from patients without killing or paralysing them. (Its what I would do - donate the helmet - not kill people!:smile:)

However, as long as that helmet has not been subject to any major shock, sunlight or heat damage, then it may still be perfectly good to use. When it comes to long term storage, the real risk comes from the storage conditions and whether the manufacturer used very stable materials or opted for stuff which over time becomes brittle and crumbles to dust which will no longer offer the impact deceleration which they were designed to provide. Manufacturers tend to deliberately redesign and update their products regularly as a way to clear old stock from retailers shelves. Pressure to stock this years model, means retailers are actively encouraged to rotate their stock, and will heavily discount any really older stock to clear it.

The point is that many better manufacturers now offer a 3 year warranty on new helmets, and some of the top quality manufacturers like Schubert go a lot further offering 7 years from manufacture (5 from purchase) - http://www.schuberthnorthamerica.com/categories/motorcycle/support/motorcycle-helmets/ .

So it is not impossible to manufacture a product with a very long service life - but to do so, they need to use really stable plastics which tend to be among the most expensive.

Clearly Schubert are confident that their helmets can stand up to at least 2 years of shelf storage in a typical retail display environment - which can be far from ideal - as many will be removed from the boxes and left sitting on well lit shelves (possibly in a shop window with full sunlight) for months before being sold. If you think about it, the shop display environment can be pretty harsh - compared with being tucked away in a cupboard at home. That is why, provided it was a good quality helmet it may still be fit for purpose. I would however be very wary about any "value brand" helmet as they tend to be made to a price point, which inevitably means the use of cheaper and generally less stable materials and any deterioration may not be immediately obvious.

At the end of the day it is your head!

SkiMad

3. Skallebenk

Skallebenk New Member

Thanks for the thoughts mate. :smile-new:

At this point I'm thinking the uncertainty makes the answer obvious.
    I don't know that the Shark is safe. I don't know how old it actually is, I'm just presuming it was manufactured 3-12months before I bought it.
    It came in a box, but I can only assume that it was stored well in the shop before I bought it, and that it hadn't been opened and messed around with before I got it.

What I do know is how it's been stored at home. But although the conditions there have been pretty much ideal, the answers I get to my question is always something like, "It MIGHT be ok to use".

At this point it's a question of cost for me also. I just got a bike, bought new riding gear, and have plans for servicing and upgrades on the bike.
    However, I think change my priorities a little, and get a new helmet.
    Peace of mind is worth the investment. :)

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    would you use a old bullet proof vest:eek:nthego::evil::bandito:

5. Skallebenk

Skallebenk New Member

I dont know. Would I? Should I?
    No offence, but I live in a country where the prospect of wearing a bullet proof west is very unrealistic and unlikely. :courage:
    So I just don't have the knowledge.

Still, I guess the point is to avoid old protective wear?

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I can say that my old Shoei RF-800 sat on a closet shelf for about the same time but didn't fare well through the years. I tried it on and it still fit but noticed a bit material flakes where it was sitting when I was going to put it back after trying it on, then noticed some flakes on my shoulders after I took it off, that's when I knew the helmet was not worth wearing. The liner material was basically disintegrating! That being said, I don't remember how long I had it before I stored it but it definitely didn't feel "new" or was worth trying on the street!

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    The llife of the helmet is from 5 to 7 years depend on the manufacture recommended. You can find the info on their web site
    If it look new and no sign of damage use it. Get a new one when fund available.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Sometimes those flakes on shoulders is dandruff.

9. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Two weeks ago I went with a buddy to Chapparel for an Arai event (he was going to buy) their deal was trade in any used helmet and receive $100 off of Chapparel's price. We already knew that the Signet Q was the shape that fit him and he had looked online at the graphics available in that style and knew the one he wanted, personally what he chose is probably the last one I would have:cower: anyway we make the buy and they order the helmet for him, when it arrives at his house a few days later he calls me and says to me, you must not be the only one that doesn't care for those graphics, the helmet was manufactured in Oct of 2011! Aria had three more in his size (those graphics) all manufactured on the same date. To Arai's credit they are having one made up for him and he will have it in about a month.
    John

10. Badbilly

United States
    Best to check those flakes too. If they have legs, get some shampoo from Walmart. Then shop for a new helmet.

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I have old helmets, but I don't wear them because I bought a new 1100Shoie sport touring. I would wear a old helmet if I had nothing else. glad I don't live in England though and be subject to the queen and have everywhere I go there is a cct watching me in the bathroom and only the criminals have guns that includes those guys wearing those silly hats. If you got snow flacks take a bath will you:chaingun::ballchain::whoo::spy::smiliehump: I think we should send Badbilly over there to fix things.

12. Skallebenk

Skallebenk New Member

Thanks for all the comments.
    (Btw, no flake issues so far, but i'll be checking for legs if i notice some :single_eye: )

As mentioned before, theres lots of advice and comments saying it's not safe to use an old helmet. Both here, and in other forums.
    And i have yet not seen anyone saying for sure that it is a good idea to use my old one.

Conclusion:
    I'm getting a new one. :)
    Old one will keep it's place at the shelf for now, and probably donated to be forced open at some point.

Well then.
    Next question will be;
    Schubert C3 (Pro) or Shoei Neotec?

But for that, theres plenty of reviews, comments and opinions to find online, and in the end it comes down to what i like best when trying them on.

Ride safe!

13. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

The best one is the one that fits your bean best:eek:nthego:
    John

14. Badbilly

United States
    I had one of the early Shuberths. Quality stuff and lots of pesos.

If Son of Woof is popping for a ticket for me to fix anything that needs attention in UK. Coordinating same with the Isle of Man TT week would be appreciated. First Class is always good but for that, coach will do fine.

My place in Seattle is very nearby the lutefisk store (upwind) and the McDonalds Egg McMuffins there are Egg McLefse.. ;) Even the rutabagas are Swedes.. Uff Da!

15. Badbilly

United States
    Long hit the nail on the head with the Harley Torque hammer. Some of the degradation of the attenuation materials in older helmets may have gone South. Newer helmets one might suppose would have better protective capabilities and a longer or usable shelf life than something like one of those 39.95 peso Captain America knockoffs from someone's back in the day day.

Sure the big boys want to sell new skidlids as often as possible but the chance that they all are making up shit to do that is slim..

16. Skallebenk

Skallebenk New Member

Tiny follow up on this:

Went to a store, and tried on pretty much everything they had.
    Ended up spending alot, but i have to say.. I now have the most comfortable helmet I have ever tried on! It was like coming home after years away. That sudden feeling that everything is just right.

Highly recommend the Schubert C3 Pro!

17. Redletter

Redletter New Member

United States
    I liked the C3, but I felt like that strap was choking me out. I went with the Shoei Neotech, which is also amazingly comfortable, quiet, and slightly cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Good choice:thumb:

The Schubert C3 pro is a top quality helmet which not only offers a long service life, is among the quietest helmets I have found.

OK it seems that nowadays people don't read instructions - but for an advanced spec helmet like that, it is probably worth spending the time to read through the manual and find out about all the adjustments, and then making sure you get the fit just right.

Take care

SkiMad

19. smrvfr

smrvfr New Member

Canada
    You have to ask yourself how much is your head worth?

20. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You have already made your decision but something no one considered is this. You did wear it. Your hair has lots of oils in it and though I have no expertise in this, that body contaminates are there for the years that you stored it. I wonder if that will degrade the inner linings at all?

My Shoie is getting on 4 years old now and I think it is time to get a new beenie. I love the fit of the Shoie X12 for me so I think the next model up from that with SHoie will be the one I get. It was considerably lighter than the Sharke RX I had previous to that. Fit my scull better too.