Bags for '98 VFR

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by IthacaVFR, Apr 22, 2014.

1. IthacaVFR

IthacaVFR New Member

United States
    This is my first post on vfr world so I apologize if this topic has already been touched upon repeatedly. I am interested in getting bags for my '98 VFR and I was wondering what my options are as well as what people prefer. Thanks!

Dave

2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    You looking for hard luggage or soft? Recommendation will vary wildly! What do you plan carry most often?

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the zoo Lad :wave:
    Many members here using soft bags for the 5th gen, cheap and easy to mount.
    Hard bags can be found from Givi.

4. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    If you just might do some light touring; softbags. I heartily recommend the Firstgear Silverstone line. I had them and they are great quality.

If you are going to do regular touring, get the hard bags.

If you are just going to be a grocery getter, going to the gym or staying overnight at a buddies house, start with a topcase. The topcase never leaves my bike anymore and I just can't imagine having a bike without one! On a 5th gen, you can get the Kappa mounting kit & plate (150-200) and then start off with a JC Whitney topcase (45). Givi topcase start at 250 and a damn nice one can cost up to 500!

5. Skifreak

Skifreak New Member

United States
    Map
    If you need a lot of durable space, GIVI harbags are an option. You can see them on my Avatar.

6. JJFlash7

JJFlash7 New Member

United States
    I can recommend, GIVI Expandable Saddlebags, http://www.whitehorsegear.com/givi-expandable-saddlebags. At first I wasn't too sure since the instructions seem to recommend fitting them on a Give rack system and they come with some cheesy bungee cords. What I did like about them was they are small and fit the bike but expand to 30l each side. They can be mounted high, they are the only bags I have been able to mount with the straps UNDER THE SEAT. makes for a more secure position on the bike. In the end I did not even use the bungees as the bags were stable without them. Also, I like the mount under the seat so I can mount a Dry Bag on the pillion and strap it to the Give bag straps. Since they are captured under the seat everything is secure.

This is a little bit of a ramble, not enough coffee yet this morning. Call White Horse Press, they are nice people, love to talk about their products nad have a generous return policy if you don't like them. I used them and a wolfman? dry bag for a 3200 mile road trip and they worked very well.

On another note, if you are anal about the looks of your VFR like I am, any place bungee cords or bags touch the motorcycle a little painter's tape will protect the finish. Cheap, easy on and easy off.

7. Hatchet67

Hatchet67 New Member

Map
    I am using a set of Nelson Riggs bags and am in the process of making a rack for them. I'm too cheap to buy GIVI and I think they make the bike look like a pack mule. These should be easy on and off for my touring trips and I use a tank bag for all the daily riding. I'll post up more when I am finished with the brackets. 010.jpg 011.jpg

8. Vinman

Vinman New Member

Map
    JJ, thanks for the tip on the givi bags. But can you clarify something for me? Do you still have to use a mounting rack ? Or do they hang from the strap under the seat.

Thanks

9. JJFlash7

JJFlash7 New Member

United States
    They hang from the straps under the seat. This is the only set of soft saddlebags I have that sit high enough to run the straps under the seat.

10. konigralph

konigralph New Member

GIVI bags are nice! Personally, I went a little bit cheaper. They also have the straps that go under the seat too, you can control how far you want it to hang with velcro.
    http://www.vikingbags.com/street-bike-saddlebags.htm
    What honestly sold me, was how they have the product photo on the ducati though.. I'm a huge fan of that bike.

Just some food for thought, If you have the money, don't hestitate for the GIVI!

11. SammichTheStout

SammichTheStout New Member

Okay, thread resurrection go! I use my VFR anytime I don't absolutely have to use my truck. Small grocery trips, errands, commuting, classes and the occasional weekend jaunt. There was no way I was going to shell out $1500 for Honda's luggage and key barrels. So I amazoned a set of Firstgear Silverstone saddlebags. Good quality, reasonably water proof with the rain covers on (though I keep a small trash bag in each bag just to be safe) and not near as bulky as the Honda bags and trunk. I really like them. They mounted on snugly and the rear sets work well for bungeeing down the bags without interfering with rear wheel travel or touching the paint. image.jpg image.jpg t

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  12. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey! Thats great that you like them. I loved the Silverstone bags I had. Totally versatile and tons of room. Very well made too IMO. I don't think I ever had to use the rain covers, but I don't remember water ever getting in. I most likely didn't ride in a downpour though.

Anyways, congrats on the score!

13. Cessus

Cessus New Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone hVe experience with the firstgear onyx tail and saddlebags?

14. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't have experience with those particular bags, but I have lots of Firstgear stuff. Everything I have of theirs is top notch. Their customer service is first rate too. If you have a line on a good deal, I'd take it.

15. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    I have a 5th gen as well (a 2000) and I opted for hard luggage for longer tours and then a tail box and tank bag for shorter distances and around town. I went against the norm of Givi and got a set of bags from a Boulder Colorado company that makes them out of Pelican Cases. They are watertight and sturdy as all get out. If something happens to it (cracks or otherwise breaks) it will be replaced completely free of charge. They do not look too bad overall. I did have to modify the rear rack because of the high-mount exhaust though.

20141023_171804_Richtone(HDR).jpg 2014-10-26 16.42.35.jpg

16. Ontario Hawk

Ontario Hawk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Love the idea of Pelicans for hard luggage. That's my plan if I ever do hard luggage.

I've had very good luck with Kriega US system bags. I've currently got a US-10 and US-20 tail bags. All the US models strap together to make a very modular luggage system, everything hooks to loops you install under the seat. I can get some photos tomorrow if anyone is interested. They're built like a dry sack, which means a roll top with buckles to keep them closed.

edit: found this picture over on VFRD. Its on a 4th gen, but you get the idea. It really is more secure than it looks.....
    [​IMG]

17. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
  18. mhaas

mhaas New Member

19. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
  20. Ontario Hawk